• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Beginners Golf Set Recommendations."

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    You'll want to make sure you're driving the right kind of car too....

Looks like a Kia....

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    hah, good fashion advice. I'm looking to get some golfing trousers, need plenty of room for my balls.
    You'll want to make sure you're driving the right kind of car too....

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Good advice, so if i just turn up looking to buy they will be able to do this as part of the service?
    Correct. I went in pretty convinced I wanted a set of Taylor Made irons. I hit them on the simulator as well as some mizuno's and some pings. The machine and the shop pro were unanimous the mizunos were the best for for my swing and the simulator showed I hit the mizunos sweetest with the best ball flight so I bought those and never looked back

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    The clubs are not what's important, it's how you dress that counts

hah, good fashion advice. I'm looking to get some golfing trousers, need plenty of room for my balls.
    Last edited by woohoo; 17 December 2015, 15:07.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    If you're a beginner you need a set of fairly cheap cavity back irons. I don't see any point in recommending a specific set because by the very nature of everyone having a unique swing - different irons will suit different people. Just go to American Golf, have them hook you up to the AI and try some sets. They'll at least then recommend some options for you based on some evidence of your actual swing and I don't see why they should cost anything like £1200. I'm a single figure handicap golfer and my clubs and bag cost less than that.
    Good advice, so if i just turn up looking to buy they will be able to do this as part of the service?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I bought a 14 piece RAM club set a few years ago and it was around £200. Did me nicely.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    The clubs are not what's important, it's how you dress that counts

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I used to play golf but every time I hit it it kept going down that little hole on the nicely mown bit.

They all said I was crap at it and never to play again

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    A set of Ping Irons like these will be ideal. You will usually be able to get great clubs at a reasonable price. They should last you another couple of years, it until eternity, depending on how much of a club whore you are.

http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/.../Ping_G20.html
    Last edited by Scruff; 17 December 2015, 13:19.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Just starting to get into golfing, looking for recommendations for a good starter golf set.

Not after someone googling for me but actual experience of buying a beginners golf set. A friend of a friend recommended a set but it was £1200 so looking for something a little cheaper, less than £600.

Cheers
    If you're a beginner you need a set of fairly cheap cavity back irons. I don't see any point in recommending a specific set because by the very nature of everyone having a unique swing - different irons will suit different people. Just go to American Golf, have them hook you up to the AI and try some sets. They'll at least then recommend some options for you based on some evidence of your actual swing and I don't see why they should cost anything like £1200. I'm a single figure handicap golfer and my clubs and bag cost less than that.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Why would you want to take up golf? Have you bought a Jag yet?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    Why not pick up some old kit from the bay of E? Should get something for sub £100, then spend some cash if you like the silly game?
    Just in case my original question was not clear, I'm after recommendations from someone that has bought a beginners set and can recommend on quality, cost etc.

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Why not pick up some old kit from the bay of E? Should get something for sub £100, then spend some cash if you like the silly game?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    started a topic Beginners Golf Set Recommendations.

Beginners Golf Set Recommendations.

Just starting to get into golfing, looking for recommendations for a good starter golf set.

Not after someone googling for me but actual experience of buying a beginners golf set. A friend of a friend recommended a set but it was £1200 so looking for something a little cheaper, less than £600.

Cheers

Working...
X