• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Quick question on Ethernet cables"

Collapse

• Bluespider
    replied
    Originally posted by Boney M View Post
    Think it flew tight over your head personally
    Well, considering this was in the technical professional forum, I assumed it to be a legitimate question.

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
    gold rj45 connectors

You know, the bits that hold it into the socket and don't actually have anything to do with the signal.
    You know, the bits that are designed not to conduct...
    Think it flew tight over your head personally

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Yes, the only thing I could see that made that cable different was that it was a flat cable. Otherwise, standard Cat5 would do the job.
    Flat cable? Buy a hammer. Amazing what a Cat5 will put up with. That cable is gimmick central.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I have Cat5 and 6 cables falling out of cupboards every time I'm looking for something. The idea of buying one makes me chuckle.

Yes, the only thing I could see that made that cable different was that it was a flat cable. Otherwise, standard Cat5 would do the job.

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    For runs less than 100m, what does cat7 give you? I admit I'd never heard of cat7 until reading this post.
    And who really runs more than 100m? (of cable)

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Money no object!

Why spend £3.41 when you can spend £11.89?

10m FLAT CAT6 Ethernet Network LAN Patch Cable Low Profile GIGABIT [007020] | eBay
    Maybe it's just me but I have Cat5 and 6 cables falling out of cupboards every time I'm looking for something. The idea of buying one makes me chuckle.

Leave a comment:

• Bluespider
    replied
    gold rj45 connectors

You know, the bits that hold it into the socket and don't actually have anything to do with the signal.
    You know, the bits that are designed not to conduct...

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    For runs less than 100m, what does cat7 give you? I admit I'd never heard of cat7 until reading this post.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    OT but it seems an expensive way to do a simple job to me...

Money no object!

Why spend £3.41 when you can spend £11.89?

10m FLAT CAT6 Ethernet Network LAN Patch Cable Low Profile GIGABIT [007020] | eBay

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    OT but it seems an expensive way to do a simple job to me...

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Yes RJ45 at each end which I assume is what you're alluding to.

And with gold connections at either end it'll make your internet experience much faster and smoother.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    It says it should work like a normal Ethernet cable, and if it's Cat 7, then it should. (Cat 7 is compatible with 5e/6)

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    started a topic Quick question on Ethernet cables

Quick question on Ethernet cables

Will this Cat 7 cable work between a router (or switch) and a PC, i.e. like a normal Ethernet cable?

Or is it one of those fancy (or at least incompatible) cables that only works on the modem side, and won't actually plug into PCs?!

TIA

Working...
X