• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE webinar: What does a post IR35 reform CV look like? : Wed, Jul 28, 2021 7:15 PM - 8:15 PM BST More details here.

Quick question on Ethernet cables

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Quick question on Ethernet cables

    Will this Cat 7 cable work between a router (or switch) and a PC, i.e. like a normal Ethernet cable?

    Or is it one of those fancy (or at least incompatible) cables that only works on the modem side, and won't actually plug into PCs?!

    TIA
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

    #2
    It says it should work like a normal Ethernet cable, and if it's Cat 7, then it should. (Cat 7 is compatible with 5e/6)
    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music
    Space... between the ears

    Comment


      #3
      Yes RJ45 at each end which I assume is what you're alluding to.

      And with gold connections at either end it'll make your internet experience much faster and smoother.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

      Comment


        #4
        OT but it seems an expensive way to do a simple job to me...
        I'm a smug bastard.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
          OT but it seems an expensive way to do a simple job to me...


          Money no object!


          Why spend £3.41 when you can spend £11.89?


          10m FLAT CAT6 Ethernet Network LAN Patch Cable Low Profile GIGABIT [007020] | eBay
          I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
          Hands... out infractions
          Face... the music
          Space... between the ears

          Comment


            #6
            For runs less than 100m, what does cat7 give you? I admit I'd never heard of cat7 until reading this post.

            Comment


              #7
              gold rj45 connectors

              You know, the bits that hold it into the socket and don't actually have anything to do with the signal.
              You know, the bits that are designed not to conduct...
              If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Money no object!


                Why spend £3.41 when you can spend £11.89?


                10m FLAT CAT6 Ethernet Network LAN Patch Cable Low Profile GIGABIT [007020] | eBay
                Maybe it's just me but I have Cat5 and 6 cables falling out of cupboards every time I'm looking for something. The idea of buying one makes me chuckle.
                I'm a smug bastard.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  For runs less than 100m, what does cat7 give you? I admit I'd never heard of cat7 until reading this post.
                  And who really runs more than 100m? (of cable)
                  I'm a smug bastard.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
                    Maybe it's just me but I have Cat5 and 6 cables falling out of cupboards every time I'm looking for something. The idea of buying one makes me chuckle.


                    Yes, the only thing I could see that made that cable different was that it was a flat cable. Otherwise, standard Cat5 would do the job.
                    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
                    Hands... out infractions
                    Face... the music
                    Space... between the ears

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X