• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can't set default program in Windows"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Cheers. Got it sorted now by just creating a new user and being very selective about what I copy. Probably some install or update did it but so far has not recurred.

Leave a comment:

• darrylmg
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Cheers. Expect last may have worked but wanted to use PFE. Ancient but I like it.

Did everything I could find on net, changed to admin, permissions, fiddled with registry, used various utils, nowt worked.

In the end had to set up a new user and copy across the essential stuff. Copying all of appdata just copied the problem so it isn't to do with the registry.

PS Drag and drop onto PFE or use "send to" (that's just a folder in appdata) were alternatives but not quite so convenient as just clicking,
    I've had this sort of issue with java webstart files.
    It was caused by a dodgy entry in the registry giving duplicate entries for the registered program assigned to the file extension.
    Windows didn't know which of the programs I wanted so it didn't open it at all and refused to let me reassign a default program.
    It was originally caused by the evil Java update process.
    I don't remember the exact registry key or even the branch, but the info above may be enough to help a google search.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Cheers. Expect last may have worked but wanted to use PFE. Ancient but I like it.

Did everything I could find on net, changed to admin, permissions, fiddled with registry, used various utils, nowt worked.

In the end had to set up a new user and copy across the essential stuff. Copying all of appdata just copied the problem so it isn't to do with the registry.

PS Drag and drop onto PFE or use "send to" (that's just a folder in appdata) were alternatives but not quite so convenient as just clicking,
    Last edited by xoggoth; 21 June 2015, 21:43.

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied
    You should be able to.

Alteratively download Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.7.9.html

Install and go to Settings>preferences>file assoc>web/html script>click .php and add it, close Notepad++ and the go and open a php

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Run as administrator?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Can't. PHP does not appear in the file type list. Although it does for another user.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Try Start (or Search for Windows 8), Default Programs.

Either "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" or "Set your default programs" should work.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Ta but no. All approaches get the same open with box and the same problem - it opens in selected program but next time it doesn't although "Always use this program" is ticked. It isn't greyed out (as relevant links on net) and is changeable, just doesn't help to tick it.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 18 June 2015, 18:05.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Searching net and nothing works, nobody seems to have quite the same problem.

I just want to click on php files and have them open in a text editor but keep getting the "Windows can't open this file" popup. I can then open by selecting the program but next time I get the pop up again even though the "Always use the selected program" thing is working and ticked.

In php file properties, "Opens with" shows Windows Shell Common Dll and I can't change it although my user account is shown as having full control.

In control panel/default programs/associate a file type with a program type php does not appear and there is no means of adding it.

This is only a problem in standard user, admin works ok.

Any ideas? Ta.
    Can you not right clcik the file and select "Open With" there should be a check box that says always do this?

When you go into file properties and change the assoicated program the check box is greyed out, but not when you do it this way

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    started a topic Can't set default program in Windows

Can't set default program in Windows

Searching net and nothing works, nobody seems to have quite the same problem.

I just want to click on php files and have them open in a text editor but keep getting the "Windows can't open this file" popup. I can then open by selecting the program but next time I get the pop up again even though the "Always use the selected program" thing is working and ticked.

In php file properties, "Opens with" shows Windows Shell Common Dll and I can't change it although my user account is shown as having full control.

In control panel/default programs/associate a file type with a program type php does not appear and there is no means of adding it.

This is only a problem in standard user, admin works ok.

Any ideas? Ta.

Working...
X