• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "One for the coders - am I getting burned?"

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    This is what I'm wondering. Only he's the author of the legacy code...
    Yup indeed he is!

In addition the work we are trying to do is actually pretty much already in place in other areas of the system. So it is not even a new concept.

Although as The Faqqer says there may be many other things beside just creating the code to consider...
    although again we have done this before and know there is not a lot!

I have just tasked him with reading up on another development and giving me ideas/input on best options and potential pitfalls - along with the all important effort required.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    That was why I mention llbprogen in my previous comment. There are a set of historic ORMs that save hours when you start off but create weeks of pain if / when you ever want to change the slightest anything...

On the one I inherited I insisted on it requiring a total rewrite. Client were happy to loss the entire government contract rather than swallow the rewrite cost....

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    The timescale seems excessive but if he is working with some really awful legacy code...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Is the new field mandatory, and if so what value will you put in for the data that already exists? Are there indexes on the table that need to be redesigned, or does a new one need to be added? Is the list of values going to remain relatively static, or will it be dynamic over time? What documentation are you expecting? What release procedures have you got in place to deliver this into the different environments? How complicated is the existing code that he needs to modify to deal with the new field? Does there need to be any additional validation on the field?

A few years back, I saw an Oracle presentation around the implementation of the business requirement "we need to limit the text in this field to 140 characters". Sometimes it's not quite as straightforward as you would think, and there may well be things that he's spotted that you haven't. Ask him for a breakdown though.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Welp cheers for all the responses and info - much appreciated.

I have been working with the guy for 7 years and normally I just agree what is needed with the dev guys and they deliver in the agreed timescales which works well all around.

was wondering if he was working on plan B.

seems like I will need to press him for a bit more info.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Also, I really hate some of the crap you lot talk about perms, most are hardworking and no less talented because they decided on a lifestyle they incorrectly perceive more stable than contracting.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    The timescale seems excessive but if he is working with some really awful legacy code then perhaps he is budgeting in time for testing and fixing other related parts of the system. Is he working on other work at the same time?

Most people I meet and work with don't take the piss and if he normally produces good code then perhaps there is more to this than you think, ask him. If he is getting shirty then be honest and say the timescale seems excessive.

Also, I really hate some of the crap you lot talk about perms, most are hardworking and no less talented because they decided on a lifestyle more stable than contracting.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    How do you know? It could be an accurate timescale but you seem to have taken minimal information and drawn a conclusion..
    Well, I don't know about you, but I can only work with the information given - and that indicates that the programmer is taking the piss.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    How do you know? It could be an accurate timescale but you seem to have taken minimal information and drawn a conclusion.

Although your superficial analysis does seem to be a noticeable feature in your posts so hardly a surprise.
    It was a question not a conclusion though you don't seem to know the difference.

It's also just one possibility when the permie in question built the system then has been working on it for years.

Then again I'm use to working in teams where we explain why think work will take the time it does....

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    You need to understand us developers are artists, art cannot be rushed, would you have told Picasso to breakdown his hours on one of his paintings?
    How long did it take Picasso to complete a painting? - Quora

Half a day. Sounds about right.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    I'd have to wait the best part of a week to get a DBA QA on that at cientCo

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    The 64 million rupee question... is the development being done off or on shore?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Permie not performing and generally having a tulip attitude perhaps?
    How do you know? It could be an accurate timescale but you seem to have taken minimal information and drawn a conclusion.

Although your superficial analysis does seem to be a noticeable feature in your posts so hardly a surprise.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    You need to understand us developers are artists, art cannot be rushed, would you have told Picasso to breakdown his hours on one of his paintings?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Doable in about an hour I'd say. So they should not quote more than 1 day.
    Dynamic crm would take 10 minutes. A badly implement orm could require days, however, as I discovered when I inherited llblgen disaster years ago

Leave a comment:

Working...
X