• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: More linux lies

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "More linux lies"

Collapse

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I think we'd all like to welcome Mr Ballmer to the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon etc etc all use Linux to run their main operations, but boo thinks its crap

I wonder who's right?
    Linux is sh1t. So that would be me who's right then.

Boo
    Last edited by Boo; 29 May 2015, 19:05.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon etc etc all use Linux to run their main operations, but boo thinks its crap

I wonder who's right?
    Google run Linux on a massive HPC grid AIUI, which is fine, a node dies, there's another, but not all requirements are the same, BT Spine was almost 100% Solaris on SPARC when I was there 2006 on, latterly they used Linux for some reverse proxies I think - I went back in 2009 - all gone. We can all quote examples for and against.

By Linux do you mean the proper kernel definition or the multitude of distros like Slitaz, Bharat, Siduction, HandyLinux, Qimo for Kids and Russian Fedora Remix?

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied

I wonder who's right?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    That's true of any multi vendor blame fight....
    Yes but if it's say an Oracle T4 SPARC running Solaris 11 with Oracle fibre HBA (albeit rebadged) in it connected to an Oracle 7120 array with Oracle 11 DB on top, it's Oracle's problem. One vendor, no blame war...

Costs of course!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Whilst I'm not an Open Source/Linux fan, despite the impression I've given to I'm not anti Linux, just I'm my experience it's not in the same league as the Unix variants designed to work on the same companies hardware, One Throat To Choke if things go wrong. Witness a Red Hat/Emulex/HP/Oracle slag-off-a-thon I had to deal with a few years back - all four blaming each other....

The new POWER8's will have updated versions of RHEL and Ubuntu on POWER I'm told, optimised for POWER - fantastic, looking forward to it. AIX is clunky etc, but its LVM stuff is A1, a doddle compared to Linux, hopefully IBM will have merged these things which would be nice.
    That's true of any multi vendor blame fight....

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Whilst I'm not an Open Source/Linux fan, despite the impression I've given to I'm not anti Linux, just I'm my experience it's not in the same league as the Unix variants designed to work on the same companies hardware, One Throat To Choke if things go wrong. Witness a Red Hat/Emulex/HP/Oracle slag-off-a-thon I had to deal with a few years back - all four blaming each other....

The new POWER8's will have updated versions of RHEL and Ubuntu on POWER I'm told, optimised for POWER - fantastic, looking forward to it. AIX is clunky etc, but its LVM stuff is A1, a doddle compared to Linux, hopefully IBM will have merged these things which would be nice.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    So I take it that you'll be leaving CUK seeing as it runs on (AFAIK) Ubuntu
    I am fortunately not required to operate the forum software, nor to view it using a computer running Linux. If that changes then, yes, I will be off...

Boo

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo View Post
    rant....

Boo
    So I take it that you'll be leaving CUK seeing as it runs on (AFAIK) Ubuntu

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    I would rather have someone who loves to code that much that he is willing to do it in his spare time for free, than an average paid developer.
    That is not in fact what happens. What Linux gives you is the chance for every no-hoper who is unable to find employment in software to commence a hopelessly impracticable project on a complete whim. The project is later abandoned when the hapless author finally succeeds in getting a job at McDonalds only to be revived a decade later by people who mistakenly believe it is a completely different project that happens to go under the same name.

When this new crew of incipient burger-flippers finally notice their mistake the project re-lapses into desuetude. At this point it is sufficiently famous to be recommended on forums as the best/only way for Linux users to achieve xxxx. Where xxxx is entirely unrelated to any of the aims of either the original or successive updaters of the project. Which, surprisingly, is in fact the case, it really is the only/best tool for job xxxx under Linux : everything else is even worse.

Linux is not just a piece of sh**, it is, like the bogs at a festival, multiple independent mountains of poo, accreted independently by thousands of people acting at random with entirely different aims in mind.

The UI is beyond poor and the implementation needs to be chucked away and completely re-written. Hopefully without the absurd fantasy that a heirachy of miscellaneous scripts can form a useful basis for an OS.

Another one that needs to be blackballed from the profession.
    Yes, that's right, anyone who stands up to the Linux bandwagon needs to be expelled from the profession. Of course they do. Because otherwise there is no way that anyone could ever be duped into using the useless pile of old Tulipe.

ln -s Linux Sh1tOS

That's its name.

Boo
    Last edited by Boo; 28 May 2015, 13:08.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Part of the reason for the high cost is that each UNIX system is custom written for the client.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    So they rewrote every line of the Linux Kernel and every driver so ensure there was no code left written by non paid devs?
    No I didn't say that at all.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    This made me laugh....!

https://blog.udemy.com/linux-vs-unix/

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Those are of course developed and run by folks who get paid to do it.
    So they rewrote every line of the Linux Kernel and every driver so ensure there was no code left written by non paid devs?

I would rather have someone who loves to code that much that he is willing to do it in his spare time for free, than an average paid developer.

Another one that needs to be blackballed from the profession.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Are you talking about the same Linux that is used on most supercomputers, most of the top 20 websites servers and 90% of smartphones?
    Those are of course developed and run by folks who get paid to do it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X