• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Microsoft to stop producing Windows version"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Office on tablets is probably some tiny % of home office sales?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Is it? I thought MS were selling 1-year bundles with new PCs or people were buying the regular version.
    The only real way to get Office on tablets is through a subscription

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Seems to be working for Office365
    Is it? I thought MS were selling 1-year bundles with new PCs or people were buying the regular version.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Windows vs Apple vs Unix etc is not about relative performance, they are religious beliefs.
    Amen

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    You have to be a merkin to argue that one is better than the other
    Windows vs Apple vs Unix etc is not about relative performance, they are religious beliefs.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Regular home users aren't tech-savvy enough to deal with a subscription model for OS in my view.
    Seems to be working for Office365

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Regular home users aren't tech-savvy enough to deal with a subscription model for OS in my view.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    When Microsoft do bring out the surface phone and you can slot that into a docking station to be used as a desktop that is the ultimate game changer.
    Will you be able to play games in UHD on it too.

Yay, looking forward to it already.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    There is hardly any difference in them, you start it up, you choose the program you want to run and run it. I don't spend any time whatsoever using the OS really and most major applications will run just as fast on each one.

You have to be a merkin to argue that one is better than the other.

Apple's build quality was far in advance of anything MS could offer for a long time but Samsung matched them eventually and the rest have caught up, the surface is a fantastic product.

But, office is by far and away the better business product suite and if you want to buy into the full shebang like I have the xbox/phone/surface/desktop/office365 then MS is the better overall offering I think.

But that is just me.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    I guess you haven't used Windows 8.
    I've used W8.1 which is fine. It definitely benefits from the use of Classic Shell though, wouldn't want to use it bare. A recent contract this year landed me a client notebook with WS8.1 installed, after a rapid download of CS I was good to go with no problems. I'd far sooner have a client give me W8.1 than P.O.S.OS on a machine.

Boo

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo View Post
    Fact : OSX is in no way superior to Windows.

The command line in P.O.S.OS is a hopeless anachronism and the only reason for relying on it is the various GUI implementations for P.O.S.OS are so poor people give up on using them.

If you have to use a command line than Windows PowerShell ISE is ten times better than Bash being hugely modernised over that excressence.

Virtual desktops are a nightmare on OSX with new windows appearing in seemingly random desktops, inadequate navigation between desktops and hopeless ditto between windows in different desktops. I defy any normal person to use multiple desktops for 2 weeks before turning them back off. Certainly I did that. The day Windows implements multiple desktops without an off switch is the day I stop defending them in public.

To repeat : Neither OSX nor any other version of P.O.S.OS is in any way better than Windows and the UI for these hateful and appalling OS's is very much worse.

Boo
    I guess you haven't used Windows 8.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied

The command line in P.O.S.OS is a hopeless anachronism and the only reason for relying on it is the various GUI implementations for P.O.S.OS are so poor people give up on using them.

If you have to use a command line than Windows PowerShell ISE is ten times better than Bash being hugely modernised over that excressence.

Virtual desktops are a nightmare on OSX with new windows appearing in seemingly random desktops, inadequate navigation between desktops and hopeless ditto between windows in different desktops. I defy any normal person to use multiple desktops for 2 weeks before turning them back off. Certainly I did that. The day Windows implements multiple desktops without an off switch is the day I stop defending them in public.

To repeat : Neither OSX nor any other version of P.O.S.OS is in any way better than Windows and the UI for these hateful and appalling OS's is very much worse.

Boo
    Lol!!!

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Lol!!!
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    One simple example is the terminal, the Windows CMD is atrocious. Then there is things like full screen, virtual desktops etc. Windows should have implemented this decades ago.

Boo

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    OSX is in no way superior to Windows.

Boo
    One simple example is the terminal, the Windows CMD is atrocious. Then there is things like full screen, virtual desktops etc. Windows should have implemented this decades ago.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    OSX is in no way superior to Windows.

Boo

Leave a comment:

Working...
X