• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Using a large format UHD TV as a computer monitor ?"

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    At the moment I am still using a setup using 3 screen at a standard FullHD 1920x1080 resolution, tiled horizontally.
    It's a bit low vertically (i.e. you may need to scroll sometimes) but it fits your field of view pretty well - i.e. fairly wide angle.
    With a big 4k TV, you're basically arranging 4 FHD panels in a 2x2 pattern.
    It might be interesting, but what bothers me with this setup is that there is no 'middle'/'centre' - you could probably arrange it into smaller windows, or one larger window in the centre and smaller toolbars/sidebars around the central area, but not sure how well that works.
    That is the reason I previously mentioned the LG screen - it is a bit wider so you can more comfortably arrange items side by side, but I guess anything in 4k is a bit experimental at the moment and you are the beta tester.
    Crikey! That's a lot of invoices and expenses you must be doing at once!

Sez me, with a 27" Retina iMac for same....

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    At the moment I am still using a setup using 3 screen at a standard FullHD 1920x1080 resolution, tiled horizontally.
    It's a bit low vertically (i.e. you may need to scroll sometimes) but it fits your field of view pretty well - i.e. fairly wide angle.
    With a big 4k TV, you're basically arranging 4 FHD panels in a 2x2 pattern.
    It might be interesting, but what bothers me with this setup is that there is no 'middle'/'centre' - you could probably arrange it into smaller windows, or one larger window in the centre and smaller toolbars/sidebars around the central area, but not sure how well that works.
    That is the reason I previously mentioned the LG screen - it is a bit wider so you can more comfortably arrange items side by side, but I guess anything in 4k is a bit experimental at the moment and you are the beta tester.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I suppose so long as the resolution is what you find acceptable and it has suitable interfaces it should work. A flat panel TV is a monitor after all, it just has some extra stuff to do with TV reception.

Personally I'd not find any benefit sitting at monitor type range from such a massive screen and I suspect I'd find it uncomfortable each to their own.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Do you just want to do it for a tax break?
    Last edited by BrilloPad; 7 December 2014, 12:59.

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    HDMI 2 and UHD

Just bought UHD 40 inch TV, great picture, so had to change the BluRay, the AV & the Sky box all run off Android remote app.

I noticed that some are advertised as HDMI 2.0, but aren't, they need a firmware release about mid 2015. Also, some don't work if connected to a PC/Laptop. Just check the small print & user manuals before buying.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    You will need a GPU with at least displayport 1.2 to drive 31UM97 at full resolutiopn at 60Hz.
    I'm going to ignore the drivel from posters like NLUK about breaking my neck if I have to move my head to see all the screen and also the nonsense about a 48" screen being too big whereas 2 screens are not and restrain myself to merely pointing out that HDMI 2 supports 3840x2160 pixel output at 60Hz.

Boo

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    Have a look at lg 31UM97. It packs a lot of pixels and the size (just under 32") is probably max in terms of being able to look at more or less at the same time.
    I may be a bit behind the curve for now, but I just started enjoying dual screen setup now and having two windows/panes side by side is a great idea.
    A triple setup may be better still as you have a sensible 'center' screen and the ones on the sides are auxillary.
    With two screens I basically have a bezel in front of my face.
    Or if I went with a 4k display like the one I'm proposing, I could have it all on a single display.
    You will need a GPU with at least displayport 1.2 to drive 31UM97 at full resolutiopn at 60Hz.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    48" might be going to far as you suggest, but 30-40" might work out OK. I actually use a cheap Toshiba HD TV - 24" I think for not much over £100 - as the monitor on my 2nd PC (and as a TV) and it's perfectly adequate. So I imagine a higher-spec TV would work nicely although at 3-4K you need to check your PC can drive the thing properly.
    WDS

Make sure you have the CPU/GPU/Memory to handle it.

I learnt an invaluable lesson recently when I realised I had bought the supergeek motherboard with no onboard graphics back in 2011, and recently wanted to drive a TV in addition to my usual 2 monitors and couldn't. Doh!!!,
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 28 November 2014, 12:13.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    48" might be going to far as you suggest, but 30-40" might work out OK. I actually use a cheap Toshiba HD TV - 24" I think for not much over £100 - as the monitor on my 2nd PC (and as a TV) and it's perfectly adequate. So I imagine a higher-spec TV would work nicely although at 3-4K you need to check your PC can drive the thing properly.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Won't that just be too big as you only have a limited field of vision before you have to start moving your head around to look at stuff? Speak the guys in the shop and they will tell you the distance from the telly dictates the size, not your wallet or ego. Getting one too big going to be counter productive when you get neck and eye strain surely?

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    started a topic Using a large format UHD TV as a computer monitor ?

Using a large format UHD TV as a computer monitor ?

Hi,

I was thinking of upgrading my Samsung 305T monitor (2560x1600 pel, 30.5") an I see that large format (48") TVs are available at competitive prices with resolutions of 3840x2160 pel and refresh rates at 60Hz.

I know there are actual monitors available with those resolutions but they are physically smaller and therefore higher resolution which my old eyes can't make use of. What I want is more screen estate at the same resolution as my current monitor.

I did the sums and the pixels per inch of a 48" UHD screen is rather close to my 30.5" screen at 2560x1600 so I wondered if these are useable as monitors for long term all-day daily use ? Anyone here done that ? They've got compatible inputs with my display card so...

I could just buy one and if it's no good relegate it to the living room as a TV but I really want a f*** o** great 65"er for that and couldn't justify it if I'd just bought a 48" telly

Thanks,

Boo

Working...
X