• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New contractor help"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Mangobongo View Post
    Is contracting still a lucrative despite government taking so much for most people on here ?
    No it isn't.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    You can reclaim it through self-assessment and wait for a cheque from HMRC. May take even a year or so...
    Absolute rubbish... as usual.

Leave a comment:

• elsergiovolador
    replied
    Originally posted by andydd68 View Post
    True..although might be a common scenario.i.e someone gets well paid contract for a month for lets say £8k a month, the umbrella would assume that salary would be £96k so just NI would be a lot..but what if he only works one month and actualy owes no PAYE nor NI, anyone know this scenario ?
    You can reclaim it through self-assessment and wait for a cheque from HMRC. May take even a year or so...

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    True..although might be a common scenario.i.e someone gets well paid contract for a month for lets say £8k a month, the umbrella would assume that salary would be £96k so just NI would be a lot..but what if he only works one month and actualy owes no PAYE nor NI, anyone know this scenario ?
    I believe the contractor would still owe the NI as it is worked out on a weekly or monthly basis.

Leave a comment:

• andydd68
    replied
    Originally posted by fidot View Post
    Thanks. I didn't know this and stand corrected. However, in this case, I can't see that any of the mentioned circumstances apply.

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    Not quite true but its not a simple process like PAYE - How to claim a National Insurance refund | AccountingWEB
    Thanks. I didn't know this and stand corrected. However, in this case, I can't see that any of the mentioned circumstances apply.

Leave a comment:

• elsergiovolador
    replied
    Inside IR35 is really a contractor? Sounds more like a no rights employee to me.

Leave a comment:

• andydd68
    replied
    Originally posted by fidot View Post
    NB there are no refunds on NI just tax
    Not quite true but its not a simple process like PAYE - How to claim a National Insurance refund | AccountingWEB

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    As mentioned you may get a bit more, most umbrellas will give you a quote although when your payslip arrives it often leaves a lot to be desired.

There are lots of online PAYE/NI calculators but most arnt designed with contractors in mind (they may or may not show Employers NI), you can get Brightpay software free trial which I found useful.

Also worth noting that most calculations assume that your £8k a month will be your full annual salary (i.e 8 x 12 = 96k), if you only work one month this year you wont owe any PAYE or NI, so a refund will be due also if you only work 4 months then it will be quite different as youll be below the 40% paye threshold.

As mentioned a Pension Salary sacrifice will help, whether your brolly will do it has been discussed, pre IR35 change I was about to go down this route and found my brolly Parasol could do monthly pension SS.

Its not quite true to say you cant use a Ltd Co...you can get paid into a Ltd..the money you receive will already be Net (i.e paye n NI deducted) but its hard to see any real benefit to this.
    NB there are no refunds on NI just tax

Leave a comment:

• andydd68
    replied
    Thanks All very helpful.

Crazy that the government takes so much , afterall with contract it has end date, you dont have many of the benefits and security of standard employment etc.

Is contracting still a lucrative despite government taking so much for most people on here ?
    Bit odd to say the gov takes so much, its pretty much the same for all perms/inside IR35....yes there are no real benefits but you are back to the IR35 argument and as rightly pointed out by the House of Lords report.

Leave a comment:

• andydd68
    replied
    As mentioned you may get a bit more, most umbrellas will give you a quote although when your payslip arrives it often leaves a lot to be desired.

There are lots of online PAYE/NI calculators but most arnt designed with contractors in mind (they may or may not show Employers NI), you can get Brightpay software free trial which I found useful.

Also worth noting that most calculations assume that your £8k a month will be your full annual salary (i.e 8 x 12 = 96k), if you only work one month this year you wont owe any PAYE or NI, so a refund will be due also if you only work 4 months then it will be quite different as youll be below the 40% paye threshold.

As mentioned a Pension Salary sacrifice will help, whether your brolly will do it has been discussed, pre IR35 change I was about to go down this route and found my brolly Parasol could do monthly pension SS.

Its not quite true to say you cant use a Ltd Co...you can get paid into a Ltd..the money you receive will already be Net (i.e paye n NI deducted) but its hard to see any real benefit to this.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Thanks All very helpful.

Crazy that the government takes so much , afterall with contract it has end date, you dont have many of the benefits and security of standard employment etc.

At the moment with gigs like hens teeth and the IR35 looming again next year? No. Worst period for contracting since it probably became a thing. Those making anything like they did last year are the very lucky ones at the moment IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Mangobongo
    replied
    Thanks All very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    As others have said, this is what you'll get. The one thing you can do is to put funds into a pension via Salary Sacrifice (different Umbrellas have different offerings) - that will save tax and NI. There's dozens of posts on the Umbrellas board about it - just do a search.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Just to reiterate this point:
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    DO NOT go to any umbrella promising you more than this as you will get into to tax trouble with HMRC.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X