• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Small Companies Exemption"

Collapse

• genius
    replied
    Don't know if there's a separate thread for this but this is worth reading if not depressing.

Our dying IT consultancy’s final plea to chancellor Sajid Javid over fatal IR35 reform

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    And the more amusing aspect of HMRC is that they are offering outside IR35 roles themselves as they can’t get anyone to work inside IR35
    I've heard something similar about HMRC, if it's a digital transformation project, then they'll allow outside IR35 contractors. Partly because these projects are finite in scope.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    And the more amusing aspect of HMRC is that they are offering outside IR35 roles themselves as they can’t get anyone to work inside IR35

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    It's also because if it's like Newcastle HMRC's offices make DWP look like a nice place to work (and DWP's offices are usually cash strapped dives no-one else will touch).

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by simes View Post
    I would love to think all this news would make HMRC sit up and make them consider the wisdom of their ways...

(/Joke)
    It's almost like HMRC know demand for contractors will be low (no Banking industry changes, Brexit).

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    I would love to think all this news would make HMRC sit up and make them consider the wisdom of their ways...

(/Joke)

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by technobabble View Post
    I do wonder what happens if they struggle after April, if one bank breaks ranks this united approach might crumble.
    There are no major reg banking projects this year (open banking and PSD2 for example kept 10’s of 1000’s of contractors going in the last few years now finished

I don’t think they will struggle one bit

Except the 0.01% of niche skilled contractors

Leave a comment:

• technobabble
    replied
    Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
    Also 99% positive the blanket approach will be short term. They'll struggle with recruiting talent, and if they go down the outsourcing route.
    I do wonder what happens if they struggle after April, if one bank breaks ranks this united approach might crumble.

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    That's the generous way of looking at it.

Whose to say that the banks haven't all had a chat and agreed a united approach?

Nah, that only worked for LIBOR
    I'm pretty sure there'll be a whatsapp group between the senior execs from the different banks.

Also 99% positive the blanket approach will be short term. They'll struggle with recruiting talent, and if they go down the outsourcing route, they'll make the KLF look like amateurs when it comes to burning through money with no output.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    You won't find collusion and even if you did I suspect the people organising it will be HMRC's advisory teams.
    Probably not but me and my tin foil hat are enjoying it for now

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Whose to say that the banks haven't all had a chat and agreed a united approach?

You won't find collusion and even if you did I suspect the people organising it will be HMRC's advisory teams.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Following what the very nervous person in a competitor doing isn't collusion - it's following the (best) practice set over there.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    It's starting to feel like there's some form of collusion going on, with the main banks all basically doing the same thing
    Following what the very nervous person in a competitor doing isn't collusion - it's following the (best) practice set over there.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    OP, my business is very like yours. Can you get overseas clients? I've wound down all my UK clients. Turned down three UK contracts in the last two months, told them I'm not getting involved in the UK right now until they get themselves sorted on IR35 and stop the stupidity.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Indeed I got my info after the news, as the scrum teams were panicking this morning and then laughing

Apparently sapient have Lloyd’s over a barrow contract wise and could not force them

Leave a comment:

Working...
X