• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "TJX declares all contractors inside IR35"

Collapse

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    everyone thinks they are the cream. Find me a contractor who feels he / she is the dregs.

In any case there will be very few outside contracts. If, say, 33% of contracts stay outside they are suddenly looking at 3 times the previously available talent. Hence they an push the rates down.
    This is a really good point.

I've lost count of the number of recruiters who've been publishing articles and guidance about IR35, claiming that you can increase your rates by X% to offset any extra tax burden operating inside IR35.

I haven't heard of any large clients who have been proposing to do this, it's usually the opposite - rates stay the same, take it or leave it (in effect take a pay cut.)

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Had an interview with them many years ago for a perm role. Interview process dragged on for almost 3 months and four rounds of interviews. Just before the final interview their HR bod told me that they had radically altered the scope of the role. The whole process was a joke which was a shame as I really liked the sound of working for them and the senior management I met seemed really switched on.

Leave a comment:

• Amanensia
    replied
    The latter. They don't want to bother evaluating
    Ah. So in fact they haven't deemed anyone inside or outside of IR35 at all, because IR35 no longer applies.

Leave a comment:

• AnthonyQuinn
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    What have they actually said? Have they said everyone is IR35 caught? Or have they a policy of no longer engaging ltdCo contractors.
    The latter. They don't want to bother evaluating

Leave a comment:

• AnthonyQuinn
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    What about the risk of projects failing when the cream of the crop (myself for example) leave for outside contracts?
    everyone thinks they are the cream. Find me a contractor who feels he / she is the dregs.

In any case there will be very few outside contracts. If, say, 33% of contracts stay outside they are suddenly looking at 3 times the previously available talent. Hence they an push the rates down.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    What about the risk of projects failing when the cream of the crop (myself for example) leave for outside contracts?
    What outside contracts ?

You will be easily replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post
    Against the rules, surely? Each role is supposed to be individually assessed.
    If they are assessed yes, however saying you will only work with Brolly or PAYE post April 2020 isn't an assessment, it's a policy

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Low risk of that when half your industry is doing the same. Or if you are that lucky soul who finds his nice outside IR35 job, the next contractor along who is 90% as good won't have.

If you're still not concerned, then you haven't been paying attention.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post
    Depends what they’ve actually done. No more contractors, only umbrella employees or PAYE, no problem. Otherwise, assessment by type of role can look like blanketing without being a problem. Anyway, we don’t even have the final legislation yet.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    TJX (Retailer including TKMaxx and Homesense) declares all contractors inside IR35. No individual review and assessment.
    What have they actually said?

Have they said everyone is IR35 caught?

Or have they a policy of no longer engaging ltdCo contractors.

Leave a comment:

• HoofHearted
    replied
    TJX (Retailer including TKMaxx and Homesense) declares all contractors inside IR35. No individual review and assessment.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

The failed project due to you leaving has your name against it - no one else is going to be blamed (and you aren't there to defend yourself).

Meanwhile IR35 has both HR and the finance director going - "we can't take the risk"..
    Last edited by eek; 16 December 2019, 09:14.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Simple risk aversion - companies don't like risk unless they need to accept it.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Simple risk aversion - companies don't like risk unless they need to accept it.

Leave a comment:

• AnthonyQuinn
    started a topic TJX declares all contractors inside IR35

TJX declares all contractors inside IR35

Working...
X