• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: HMRC fail again...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HMRC fail again..."

Collapse

• simes
    replied
    Deary me.

If the HMRC persist in losing court cases and losing monies through court fees, no amount of tax hikes and late changing of the law will allow them to catch up, never mind increase their annual take.

"Stop going to court. Your net tax income will increase right there!"

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    I think its really rare for costs to be awarded at tribunal...
    HMRC cops it for unsubstantiated fraud claim | AccountingWEB

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by webberg View Post
    I think Treasury Select Committee has had three chairpersons in the last 7 years. Not that difficult to keep track.
    I meant the changing incumbents in the treasury, not the select committee.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    yes, I mixed the two up, not difficult with the ever changing incumbents.
    I think Treasury Select Committee has had three chairpersons in the last 7 years. Not that difficult to keep track.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by webberg View Post
    Except that he hasn't.

Mel Stride was elected to be Chairman of Treasury Select Committee.

My assumption is that the Committee is one of those now suspended until a new Parliament and perhaps a new committee and a new election.
    yes, I mixed the two up, not difficult with the ever changing incumbents.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    even if there were such an effective body, HMRC would just ignore them. It beggars belief that Jesse Norman has been appointed head of the select committee that looks into treasury affairs or some such body.
    Except that he hasn't.

Mel Stride was elected to be Chairman of Treasury Select Committee.

My assumption is that the Committee is one of those now suspended until a new Parliament and perhaps a new committee and a new election.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by simes View Post
    Thanks for that.

If it weren't so depressing, bearing in mind its affinity to our profession, this would be fantastically hilarious.

The article includes, "However, the rush of recent cases demonstrates that HMRC’s perception of non-compliance with the IR35 rules merits further review.”

I wonder if there is any Body in the UK that has the ability to say to the HMRC, 'Hang on, you're looking a bit stupid. Perhaps you need to learn what you created before kicking the can down the road and pushing it on a bunch of end users to understand and implement under threats of heavy fines.'

I also wonder what the legal costs of all these cases come to vs the net gain in taxes? Clearly the HMRC Need to earn more tax income to cover all their unproductive legal costs.

Deary me. I am very disappointed in the HMRC at the moment.
    I wonder if there is any Body in the UK that has the ability to say to the HMRC, 'Hang on, you're looking a bit stupid.
    even if there were such an effective body, HMRC would just ignore them. It beggars belief that Jesse Norman has been appointed head of the select committee that looks into treasury affairs or some such body.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Thanks for that.

If it weren't so depressing, bearing in mind its affinity to our profession, this would be fantastically hilarious.

The article includes, "However, the rush of recent cases demonstrates that HMRC’s perception of non-compliance with the IR35 rules merits further review.”

I wonder if there is any Body in the UK that has the ability to say to the HMRC, 'Hang on, you're looking a bit stupid. Perhaps you need to learn what you created before kicking the can down the road and pushing it on a bunch of end users to understand and implement under threats of heavy fines.'

I also wonder what the legal costs of all these cases come to vs the net gain in taxes? Clearly the HMRC Need to earn more tax income to cover all their unproductive legal costs.

Deary me. I am very disappointed in the HMRC at the moment.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 20:13.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Snipped
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 20:14.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Experience tells me that an FOI on HMRC to find legal costs in any case or in any set of cases, will be refused.

The reasons we have been given vary but are all about "to tell you that would compromise our ability to operate the tax system and to bring litigation where appropriate".

More privately we are told that HMRC has concerns that they can be out muscled in terms of legal costs by groups or rich individuals.

Both of the above is nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    So, is it possible to FOI HMRC's legal bill?
    This might actually be one way to fight back. Different people doing that for all of these cases that they've lost. Shine the light on how much money they've spent pursuing people who've done nothing wrong.

I think if you limit it to the legal bill of a single case they'd have a hard time coming up with a reason not to provide it.

Leave a comment:

• NeedTheSunshine
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I am partially involved in LCJ. Donations can be made HOME | Loancharge .
    I have contributed to this and am also a member of LCAG. The April 2020 IR35 private sector rollout is simply targeting the next low hanging fruit victims of HMRC. Easy money for them, and really nothing to lose. Was inevitable after the public sector rollout. Just a matter of time. Of course if you are running a genuine business to business company as so many claim that they are on here, you will be just fine and dandy.....

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    HMRC routinely fail to answer FOI requests. You can submit one but they will worm out of giving an answer

Leave a comment:

• FIERCE TANK BATTLE
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    And they do lie. Make no mistake. They lied in my case and I had them bang to rights. To say I despise them doesn't do it justice. Mostly though I try to let it go as it just eats you up.
    I am partially involved in LCJ. Donations can be made HOME | Loancharge .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X