• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IR35 in PS gets reported in the media..."

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Think about that in the contract market for a second....

It would be glorious, but would those figures ever get seen?
    The issue always boils down to the fact we are similar (but significantly different) to others.

Hence agencies use the things we like (gross pay advertisements) to abuse their position in the market to advertise higher rates of pay that a supply teacher will never actually see. Said supply teacher goes joins the books of the agency offering the higher pay rate and is then trapped by t&cs and umbrella fees that encourage you to stay...

The way we work means that other agencies are using our working methods and are tricking other people into using them. That is really at least half the reason for the current crack down.

Leave a comment:

• MarkT
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Chasing the little people when the big corporates and super wealthy avoid huge amounts of tax.
    It's easier, quicker and lets people feel important when they inform on their neighbours.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Chasing the little people when the big corporates and super wealthy avoid huge amounts of tax.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Lucy posted a comment on linkedin about the unite union article - and the more I think about it the more I think unite is right.

For supply teachers the deal used to be £140 a day - paid by agency / school as PAYE.
    Now its £150-160 a day (if lucky) paid via umbrella.

What it should be is still advertised at £140 a day. The Umbrella fees and employers NI shouldn't be being included in the advertised total (they aren't when you advertise a salary) and they should never been seen by the supply teacher...

I wonder if the correct approach would be for unison to continually complain to the advertising standards board and for legislation that states that umbrella fees and employers NI should be paid by the employer....
    Think about that in the contract market for a second....

It would be glorious, but would those figures ever get seen?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Yet they're still targeting the wrong people - clients get off the hook without paying business NICs whatever approach they ramp up.
    Lucy posted a comment on linkedin about the unite union article - and the more I think about it the more I think unite is right.

For supply teachers the deal used to be £140 a day - paid by agency / school as PAYE.
    Now its £150-160 a day (if lucky) paid via umbrella.

What it should be is still advertised at £140 a day. The Umbrella fees and employers NI shouldn't be being included in the advertised total (they aren't when you advertise a salary) and they should never been seen by the supply teacher...

I wonder if the correct approach would be for unison to continually complain to the advertising standards board and for legislation that states that umbrella fees and employers NI should be paid by the employer....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Yet they're still targeting the wrong people - clients get off the hook without paying business NICs whatever approach they ramp up.
    That's what the unions are fighting for.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    I thought the dividends were also going to screw the pension funds?
    Why?

It is individual taxation.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    In my view, that's exactly what they'll do; introduce measures that render different forms of income more "equivalent" for tax purposes. Dividend tax is a somewhat blunt tool with implications far beyond the contracting sector, but it's a straightfoward lever, available to them right now, whereas most others require broad-based reform (i.e. long grass). I don't think they're really listening to arguments about the flexible workforce.

I suppose the cynic in me has always thought that the PS debacle was fully intended, as a springboard to the argument that rapid equivalence in the private sector was essential, but the comment in this article suggests otherwise, and that they'll probably take a different route.

I'm not sure how many of you read the recent report from the IFS, but you can be sure that the Gov't is paying attention, and increased dividend taxation, increased NI for the self-employed etc. will all be on the table as interim measures to equivalent taxation of all forms of income in the long-run.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    But they don't need to increase it much in % terms, and rich pensioners don't have the same leverage under May. I'd expect several measures in future that impact the upper quantiles of pension income.
    I thought the dividends were also going to screw the pension funds?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Increasing that much further impacts others rather than just contractors including pensioners with a bit of savings
    But they don't need to increase it much in % terms, and rich pensioners don't have the same leverage under May. I'd expect several measures in future that impact the upper quantiles of pension income.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The clever thing to do is to increase the dividend tax.
    Increasing that much further impacts others rather than just contractors including pensioners with a bit of savings...

IR35 now comes down to where does Employers NI come from - the solution would be to make it part of Employees NI and mandate a 13.8% increase in gross pay to reflect it but that isn't going to work.

We again reach the point in the project where you look at where you want to be and think we'll we ain't going to get there from here. And that is true of both our employment laws and our income tax rules...

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    In my view, that's exactly what they'll do; introduce measures that render different forms of income more "equivalent" for tax purposes. Dividend tax is a somewhat blunt tool with implications far beyond the contracting sector, but it's a straightfoward lever, available to them right now, whereas most others require broad-based reform (i.e. long grass). I don't think they're really listening to arguments about the flexible workforce.

I suppose the cynic in me has always thought that the PS debacle was fully intended, as a springboard to the argument that rapid equivalence in the private sector was essential, but the comment in this article suggests otherwise, and that they'll probably take a different route.

I'm not sure how many of you read the recent report from the IFS, but you can be sure that the Gov't is paying attention, and increased dividend taxation, increased NI for the self-employed etc. will all be on the table as interim measures to equivalent taxation of all forms of income in the long-run.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    They may shelve it for now but only to try it on again later. 100% guaranteed.

Leave a comment:

• DotasScandal
    replied
    Until I read that comment, I thought it was almost inevitably going to be extended in, say, April 2018....
    They may shelve it for now but only to try it on again later. 100% guaranteed.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Are doctors and nurses a good example, surely most of them are inside IR35 anyway?
    Depends on how senior they are.

If they are a consultant, GP or senior nurse they aren't. But then they may have to manage staff so are...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X