• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agency up front about IR35 status"

Collapse

• difficulttimes
    replied
    Thursday...

So I read on Linkedin that this Thursday HMRC will release the most anticipated tool...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    I don't know about you, but I'm RonBW. Eek is the only non-sockie in this entire thread....I like talking to myself.... and so do I
    Nope I'm Malvolio's sockie - thought everyone knew that...

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by RonBW View Post
    You are James Brown and I claim my five pounds.
    I don't know about you, but I'm RonBW. Eek is the only non-sockie in this entire thread....I like talking to myself.... and so do I

Leave a comment:

• RonBW
    replied
    Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
    Or what jb said (again!)
    You are James Brown and I claim my five pounds.

Leave a comment:

• teapot418
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    I think that's what eek means. A long and boring (depending on your persuasion) history can be found here:

Do contractors need limited companies? :: Contractor UK
    Or what jb said (again!)

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
    Good explanation here

"Up until the mid 1970s many contractors provided their services as self-employed workers taxed under Schedule D. Then came S38 of the Finance (No 2) Act 1975 which provided that individual contractors who contracted with agencies would, under certain conditions, be subject to PAYE and tax under Schedule E. As a result most contractors who used agencies formed their own limited companies so that it was their company rather than themselves individually which then contracted with the agency, and thus the application of S38 was avoided. Although S38 of the Finance (no 2) Act 1975, which is now S134 of the Income and Corporation Taxes Act 1988, never applied to all individual contractors (i.e. non-limited company contractors) who used agencies, in practice it was in the agencies' interest to assume that it did and to apply PAYE across the board unless a limited company was used. It was also extremely difficult for the contractor to challenge this. Recent legislation has, however, changed the situation so that contracting direct with an agency (without a limited company) and being taxed under Schedule D is now again a practical possibility for some contractors, including for some contractors who, if they contracted using a limited company, would come within IR35."

So not banned as such, but made impractical.

If you're contracting direct, and the client is happy, it is still possible to be SchedD self employed.
    You have to remember that contracting for most people (unless and until they have built up their contacts to the point that they no longer use agencies to find work) means using agencies to find contracts. And an agency cannot pay someone via Schedule D... Hence why I stated things the way I did...

True there are exceptions if you go direct but equally its a very limited part of the market and you are usually better off using a limited company...

Leave a comment:

• teapot418
    replied
    Good explanation here

"Up until the mid 1970s many contractors provided their services as self-employed workers taxed under Schedule D. Then came S38 of the Finance (No 2) Act 1975 which provided that individual contractors who contracted with agencies would, under certain conditions, be subject to PAYE and tax under Schedule E. As a result most contractors who used agencies formed their own limited companies so that it was their company rather than themselves individually which then contracted with the agency, and thus the application of S38 was avoided. Although S38 of the Finance (no 2) Act 1975, which is now S134 of the Income and Corporation Taxes Act 1988, never applied to all individual contractors (i.e. non-limited company contractors) who used agencies, in practice it was in the agencies' interest to assume that it did and to apply PAYE across the board unless a limited company was used. It was also extremely difficult for the contractor to challenge this. Recent legislation has, however, changed the situation so that contracting direct with an agency (without a limited company) and being taxed under Schedule D is now again a practical possibility for some contractors, including for some contractors who, if they contracted using a limited company, would come within IR35."

So not banned as such, but made impractical.

If you're contracting direct, and the client is happy, it is still possible to be SchedD self employed.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by RonBW View Post
    Was it banned? I thought that it was just that legislation was introduced which meant that if you didn't pay the right tax the agency became liable for it and so the agency would generally now by custom refuse to engage a self employed worker.
    I think that's what eek means. A long and boring (depending on your persuasion) history can be found here:

Leave a comment:

• RonBW
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    That was banned back in the 70's due to Agencies abusing self-employment.
    Was it banned? I thought that it was just that legislation was introduced which meant that if you didn't pay the right tax the agency became liable for it and so the agency would generally now by custom refuse to engage a self employed worker.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
    Somebody really ought to lobby the government to make it possible to contract as self-employed. It is commonplace (and financially beneficial) elsewhere, just not in the UK.
    My clients are direct, but I personally wouldn't consider it (barring something more punitive than IR35) for the lack of limited liability and the restricted ability to tender for work. What's more likely is that, over time, all ways of working and sources of payment (wages, dividends, capital gains) will be rendered more equivalent for tax purposes, along the lines of dividend taxation. Read the latest report from the IFS to see the pressures on HMG for reform (directly calls for equivalent treatment of all modes of working), although some of it is politically quite naive.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Somebody really ought to lobby the government to make it possible to contract as self-employed. It is commonplace (and financially beneficial) elsewhere, just not in the UK.
    That was banned back in the 70's due to Agencies abusing self-employment. The only thing that has changed since then is that agencies and other workers have found other means of simplifying things for themselves at the expense of the worker (supply teachers using Umbrella companies is just a recent example)...

Hence there is no chance we could be self employed....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    We have gone over this many times why it isn't done.

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    +1 but it would be interesting to see the end clients view when you point http://forums.contractoruk.com/publi...companies.html at them...

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    First time I've seen a contract advertised where they are up front about the new PS IR35 stuff:

"Please be aware the client has decided this role is within IR35 legislation so the options are to switch to umbrella or have tax deducted at source and take home NetPay."

for a .net developer, £290-£300 per day, South Manchester, 6 Months
    That agency should be commended for their transparency and honesty.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by NORTHMAN View Post
    Hah! For the last couple of weeks, one of the questions from agents has been "Why do you want to leave your current contract?", and my answer has been "Because if my current client decides we're inside, then with the taxes and loss of travel and accomodation expenses I'd be no better off than if I took a permie role somewhere."

Not all newbie posters are created equal
    This cat knows his onions!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X