• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Capita/NWR Projects"

Collapse

• Kingman66
    replied
    Originally posted by 225c View Post
    As per my post here..
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/publi...company-2.html

Capita have been less than useful about any information so I have had to put the family on a baked bean diet for now and leave on the 24th.

I hear a rumour that a decision on a formal determination or guidance from NWR was made yesterday but have yet to hear anything.
    According to NWR they will only lose 12 out of 1200 contractors over this...
    Did they miss a couple of Zeros off the end

Leave a comment:

• 225c
    replied
    As per my post here..
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/publi...company-2.html

Capita have been less than useful about any information so I have had to put the family on a baked bean diet for now and leave on the 24th.

I hear a rumour that a decision on a formal determination or guidance from NWR was made yesterday but have yet to hear anything.
    According to NWR they will only lose 12 out of 1200 contractors over this...

Leave a comment:

• MrStu
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Would we be correct if we assumed it stated you are inside?
    No, never assume. If you were to assume so, you would be incorrect. And it is the end client who has made the determination.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by MrStu View Post
    Yes, I've had an email.
    Would we be correct if we assumed it stated you are inside?

Leave a comment:

• MrStu
    replied
    Yes, I've had an email.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Kingman66 View Post
    Anyone heard from Capita recently?..

As per usual, When the going gets tough the tough turn off the phones
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/publi...ml#post2387172

Leave a comment:

• DotasScandal
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    He's not kidding.
    Due to the differences in education systems some nations lack creativity in problem solving.
    Might be the other way around, too - education systems reflect national traits and values.

Leave a comment:

• Kingman66
    replied
    Anyone heard from Capita recently?..

As per usual, When the going gets tough the tough turn off the phones

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Having witnessed the "quality" of the UK IT contractors and permitractors of late - this is easy enough to achieve. Stop kidding yourself that UK have some monopoly on quality IT engineers, or any other profession for that matter.
    He's not kidding.

Due to the differences in education systems some nations lack creativity in problem solving.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Having witnessed the "quality" of the UK IT contractors and permitractors of late - this is easy enough to achieve. Stop kidding yourself that UK have some monopoly on quality IT engineers, or any other profession for that matter.
    Kidding myself? I'm speaking from experience!

It may be different in other areas but in BI, I've yet to see it successfully offshored.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    To be fair, you wouldn't get any flak at all if you made the distinction clear between replaced and replicated - it's easy to replace IT contractors with offshore but good luck replicating the quality

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by MoroccanMole View Post
    I work along side Network Rail Contractor's and have heard similar rumours about reviews incoming for key / senior roles to remain outside IR35. Similar rumours from TFL after the initial scare. I wouldn't like the uncertainty at this late stage however, and many are moving on.

I might get some flak for saying this on a predominately IT Contractor Message Board, but Engineers are in high-demand and it's a skill set that's not easily replaced / replicated by off-shoring.
    To be fair, you wouldn't get any flak at all if you made the distinction clear between replaced and replicated - it's easy to replace IT contractors with offshore but good luck replicating the quality

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    I'm advising my kids to get into trades such as central heating engineer, gas engineer, electrician etc. Something that requires a physical presence and qualifications in some complex safety regulations.

Anything that accommodates remote working is a red flag in a global market.
    On one hand this is smart career choice. On the other hand you are "dooming" them to live in UK, as many certifications/qualifications and safety regulations in these areas are non-transferable to other countries.

Leave a comment:

• Kingman66
    replied
    Originally posted by MoroccanMole View Post
    I work along side Network Rail Contractor's and have heard similar rumours about reviews incoming for key / senior roles to remain outside IR35. Similar rumours from TFL after the initial scare. I wouldn't like the uncertainty at this late stage however, and many are moving on.

I might get some flak for saying this on a predominately IT Contractor Message Board, but Engineers are in high-demand and it's a skill set that's not easily replaced / replicated by off-shoring.
    Also Work along side Project managers, Construction managers, project engineers etc on both LNW/LNE routes and still nothing been confirmed to the contractors. Most are moving on to private sector and not risk any retrospective investigations.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    It's not so much where they are from, it's if they hold all the relevant safety certificates. If it's for a big contractor they can get anyone to do the work and have it inspected by a supervisor, but for PSCs they need all the appropriate certificates
    That isn't as hard to sort out as you think.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X