• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Another Consulting Overseas Victim?"

Collapse

• Guy Incognito
    replied
    I wish to appeal on the grounds that you have wasted so much of my time, I wish to waste some of yours.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Not 100% true. As in the letter, above, it can be appealed
    I wonder on what grounds you could appeal a CN which required no amendment to your tax return?

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    A final closure notice, under s28(1b) and (2) TMA 1970, is just that. End of.
    Not 100% true. As in the letter, above, it can be appealed

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    A final closure notice, under s28(1b) and (2) TMA 1970, is just that. End of.

Leave a comment:

• NasserAlK
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSquid View Post

Yep same here
    Same here kind of. My wife received a final closure notice letter (I haven't received one). The wording looks like they have closed the case but I don't trust them so am still a bit worried. Tried to ring them but the number goes straight through to an EE voice mail which I find strange. Thoughts on the letter below?

Click image for larger version

Name:	taxlet.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	4236412

Leave a comment:

• BlueSquid
    replied
    Originally posted by handyandy View Post
    I just got closure notice letters form HMRC for Actinium with no changes to return or tax due.

see here https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ml#post2949431
    Yep same here

Leave a comment:

• handyandy
    replied
    I just got closure notice letters form HMRC for Actinium with no changes to return or tax due.

see here https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ml#post2949431

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by fastgreencat View Post
    The link to 'settling my tax for DR schemes' requests any details I can provide for every tax year. I am unclear if I just need to supply details for just the year in which there is an open enquiry ?
    I can't see what incentive there is for settling. Because HMRC have let this drag on for so long, you'd have to cough up around 60% interest on top of the tax & nics. Eg. if the tax & nics was £20,000, you'd end up paying around £32,000 to settle!

What a ridiculous mess they've allowed to happen here.

Leave a comment:

• fastgreencat
    replied
    I'm in the same position. A letter in 2007 saying that HMRC were investigating the dividend payments for year 2005-2006. Then nothing until last month when I receive a letter saying I can settle ?

The link to 'settling my tax for DR schemes' requests any details I can provide for every tax year. I am unclear if I just need to supply details for just the year in which there is an open enquiry ?

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    There's something a bit odd going on with this scheme.

HMRC write to users in 2006/7 saying they're taking it up with the employer. None of the usual advice about making payments on account to avoid interest clocking up etc. And then nothing much for 15 years.

And now they send some quite frankly bizarre letters.

I had a suspicion of what may be coming next but now I'm not so sure.

Leave a comment:

• stonehenge
    replied
    Originally posted by canoas View Post
    Says "our records show that you were involved with the following avoidance scheme Actinium Dividend for tax year 2006/2007......you may genuinely have no idea that you have been involved in avoidance and there are some umbrella companies that do operate compliant schemes. Fill in on line form and search disguised remuneration setting your tax affairs terms 2020, if you decide to settle under these terms there's an online form to fill in......................................."
    I bet they had a right giggle when they were drafting that. Some umbrella companies operate compliant schemes. Yeah, right.

I think this letter is what is known as a softener. I expect the next one will be a lot more direct, as in pay up or else.
    Last edited by stonehenge; 15 June 2022, 15:06.

Leave a comment:

• canoas
    replied

The late payment interest for 2006/7 would be quite a bit less, around 50%.
    I like to hear better news like that!...thanks!

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by canoas View Post

Means "Actinium Dividend" between 2006 and 2007 tax years. I only was with them from Feb 2006 till I think March 2007
    The late payment interest for 2006/7 would be quite a bit less, around 50%.

Leave a comment:

• canoas
    replied

If this really is the very first correspondence you've had off them, then they are too late to tax you. However, other people who used this scheme did have enquiries opened into their tax returns many years ago, so maybe you've forgotten an earlier letter?

The interest for 2005/6 will be around 58%. Eg. if you owed £10,000 in tax/nics, then the total including interest would be around £15,800.
    Means "Actinium Dividend" between 2006 and 2007 tax years. I only was with them from Feb 2006 till I think March 2007

Leave a comment:

• canoas
    replied

Does the letter say what they are going to do? Sometimes they write to you as a precursor before issuing certain types of notices.
    Says "our records show that you were involved with the following avoidance scheme Actinium Dividend for tax year 2006/2007......you may genuinely have no idea that you have been involved in avoidance and there are some umbrella companies that do operate compliant schemes. Fill in on line form and search disguised remuneration setting your tax affairs terms 2020, if you decide to settle under these terms there's an online form to fill in......................................."

Seems quite vague actually!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X