• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Letter from HMRC about umbrella company used in the past"

Collapse

• Taxissues
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    In which case - that looks 100% right - the devil when it comes to umbrella calculations is very much in the detail.
    Ok, thanks

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Taxissues View Post
    Actually, the pay has 2 time sheets covering 57 hours over 2 weeks, I think.
    In which case - that looks 100% right - the devil when it comes to umbrella calculations is very much in the detail.
    Last edited by eek; 18 November 2020, 19:35.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    While the high earners - well yes, it's crap. But the low earners getting shafted by these total tossers. I have to say I get very ticked off about that.

So I propose the following tax law. Bring back the death penalty for people who promote schemes that exploit tax loopholes. Even amnesty would agree with that.

Leave a comment:

• Taxissues
    replied
    It’s for the week, the hours she’s worked, tax code is 1264L
    Actually, the pay has 2 time sheets covering 57 hours over 2 weeks, I think.
    Last edited by Taxissues; 18 November 2020, 19:06.

Leave a comment:

• Taxissues
    replied
    Assuming weekly based on the hourly earnings (minimum wage is £8.70 so it can't be for longer than a week).

That doesn't look right to me. - NIC is right but the PAYE Tax doesn't - it's about £100 too low but that depends on tax code.
    It’s for the week, the hours she’s worked, tax code is 1264L

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    I've previously written here about some of the bigger umbrellas to whom we sent the same data and received different "net" answers.

The creative use of expenses and application of "emergency" codes was prevalent.

Not a mention that a tax return submission would see more tax due.

Perhaps the most worrying was the NIC treatment.

There are some difficulties in working out the correct amount of employee and employer NIC where a job does not last a whole tax year. In particular giving effect to what is essentially the "nil NIC" value can be tricky.

At least three of the umbrellas we tested solved that problem by ignoring the NIC free part and applying the rates the everything.

I don't know if their subsequent returns to HMRC included the NIC free allowance (allowing them to pocket some of the NIC) or whether all the NIC was paid over.

I do know that individuals were not advised that they should check their NIC position post year end and make a claim for a refund.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by webberg View Post
    Yep - agreed.

So the tax deduction is between £60 and £100 a week less than it might be.

That might be accounted for by expenses - but very doubtful.

There is no tax code via PAYE that gives a personal allowance and then taxes everything else at basic rate.

Something quite odd here.
    Welcome to the dodgier side of the umbrella industry - and these aren't anywhere near the worst I've seen.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    £1506 per week gives me a annual gross wage of £69,000 or so (as holiday pay is included so I will assume 4 weeks holiday and 8 bank holidays) - which is well over the basic rate - we are looking at £19,000 which should be being taxed at 40% not 20%.

Now we have seen umbrellas in the past using emergency tax at 20% for a long period of time to pay an employee which may well be the case here and that didn't end up well (the person was presented with a £20k bill to pay) which is why I said the tax really should be £300 or so (yes my £360 was high I forgot about the holiday bit but it's still quite enough).
    Yep - agreed.

So the tax deduction is between £60 and £100 a week less than it might be.

That might be accounted for by expenses - but very doubtful.

There is no tax code via PAYE that gives a personal allowance and then taxes everything else at basic rate.

Something quite odd here.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Gross pay is £1,506.

PA - assuming not used elsewhere - is £12,500 a year or around £240 a week.

Taxable pay therefore £1,266.

Basic Rate Tax is £253.60.

Not a million miles away?
    £1506 per week gives me a annual gross wage of £69,000 or so (as holiday pay is included so I will assume 4 weeks holiday and 8 bank holidays) - which is well over the basic rate - we are looking at £19,000 which should be being taxed at 40% not 20%.

Now we have seen umbrellas in the past using emergency tax at 20% for a long period of time to pay an employee which may well be the case here and that didn't end up well (the person was presented with a £20k bill to pay) which is why I said the tax doesn't seem right - on my redone calculation it's £50 out rather than £100 though.
    Last edited by eek; 18 November 2020, 17:47. Reason: screwed up how holidays were being done - it's better but I'm still not sure the tax being paid is correct

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Assuming weekly based on the hourly earnings (minimum wage is £8.70 so it can't be for longer than a week).

That doesn't look right to me. - NIC is right but the PAYE Tax doesn't - it's about £100 too low but that depends on tax code.
    Gross pay is £1,506.

PA - assuming not used elsewhere - is £12,500 a year or around £240 a week.

Taxable pay therefore £1,266.

Basic Rate Tax is £253.60.

Not a million miles away?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Even if they do have a PSL - given the agencies she's currently using a don't think the rest of the list is going to be much better.

If you have a choice Orca are also very good, Adam Holby of Fair pay services is also very careful doing things correctly.
    I'm hoping there's a least worst option if they do enforce a PSL.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Payslip summary for current umbrella

Earnings(hourly) 501.40
    Holiday pay: 162.27
    Bonus(Dpsg): 843.09
    Total earnings: 1506.76

Deductions
    Employees NIC: 104.37
    Paye: 252.60
    Total deductions: 356.97
    Net pay 1149.79

Last edited by eek; 18 November 2020, 17:14.

Leave a comment:

• Taxissues
    replied
    We offer a free 30 minute initial call.

Contact our main number and one of my colleagues will arrange a conversation.

Ask for a date/time with Graham
    Thanks, will get her to book a date and time, and I’ll be in the conversation, as well, if you don’t mind!

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Payslip summary for current umbrella

Earnings(hourly) 501.40
    Holiday pay: 162.27
    Bonus(Dpsg): 843.09
    Total earnings: 1506.76

Deductions
    Employees NIC: 104.37
    Paye: 252.60
    Total deductions: 356.97
    Net pay 1149.79
    What is the interval?

Weekly, fortnightly, monthly?

Leave a comment:

• Taxissues
    replied
    Pretty sure that Graham is not allowed to.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X