• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Loan charge review - Government response is here"

Collapse

• hmrcvictim
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    Because all your loans are (a) prior to 9/12/2010 and (b) unprotected, you are totally in the clear.
    Thanks - interesting that HMRC still continues to use threatening language. I guess, they will never learn.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by hmrcvictim View Post
    Hello,

I left UK in 2017.

I have had loans prior to 9th December 2010.

I don't have any protected / open years or enquiries.

I filed 2018-19 SATR last year after loan charge changes were made after the election. I thought that I was off the hook and didn't declare anything loan charge related in that return.

This month, I am in the process of filing 2019-20 SATR (just for rental income).

However, HMRC still sent me a letter (received today) about submitting 2018-19 SATR.

Do I have to submit (actually, re-submit) 2018-19 SATR even if I have no protected / open years or enquiries and all my loans were before 9th December 2010? No

Please help.

Thanks !
    Because all your loans are (a) prior to 9/12/2010 and (b) unprotected, you are totally in the clear.

Leave a comment:

• hmrcvictim
    replied
    Do I have to submit 2018-19 SATR? (no open years, no loan after 2010)

Hello,

I left UK in 2017.

I have had loans prior to 9th December 2010.

I don't have any protected / open years or enquiries.

I filed 2018-19 SATR last year after loan charge changes were made after the election. I thought that I was off the hook and didn't declare anything loan charge related in that return.

This month, I am in the process of filing 2019-20 SATR (just for rental income).

However, HMRC still sent me a letter (received today) about submitting 2018-19 SATR.

Do I have to submit (actually, re-submit) 2018-19 SATR even if I have no protected / open years or enquiries and all my loans were before 9th December 2010?

Please help.

Thanks !

Leave a comment:

• Superfly
    replied
    Submission to Loan Charge APPG re Lords Economic Affairs inquiry in to Promoters

Not sure if this from Etctax is of interest to anybody..

Submission to Loan Charge APPG re Lords Economic Affairs inquiry in to Promoters - ETC Tax

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by TakenAlongForaRide View Post
    HMRC have charged me for student loans in my settlement figures, and i've also paid APNs but my student loan balance remains unchanged. I want to clear my student loan balance but how can i get that money back from HMRC!?
    Ask them?

Leave a comment:

• TakenAlongForaRide
    replied
    What did HMRC do with the student loan payments?

HMRC have charged me for student loans in my settlement figures, and i've also paid APNs but my student loan balance remains unchanged. I want to clear my student loan balance but how can i get that money back from HMRC!?

Leave a comment:

• lowpaidworker
    replied
    another challenge announced today. The examples do not make great reading for HMRC

Seeking a Judicial Review of the Loan Charge

anyone got an opinion

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    99. I therefore agree with Cockerill J's conclusions in Cartref that this legislation is not "manifestly without reasonable foundation" but, on the contrary, it falls squarely within the margin of appreciation afforded to the State under the second paragraph of A1P1.
    Can't believe people are still pursuing this HRA bollox. Huitson, 8 years ago, should have put paid to that.

When it comes to tax avoidance, for "margin" read chasm.

Leave a comment:

• dammit chloe
    replied
    From the quick scan that I have read. Robert Venables QC did not construct any kind of solid, evidenced case. Surely regardless of views, he should have at least been able to counter some of the more obvious HMRC arguments.

Leave a comment:

• Iliketax
    replied
    Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
    So similar to Cartref but even trickier because pre-December 2010 loans are no longer within scope of the loan charge?
    Zeeman & Anor v Revenue And Customs [2020] EWHC 794 (Admin) (03 April 2020)

For the reasons set out in this judgment, I consider that this legislation is not incompatible with Mr Zeeman and Mr Murphy's human rights even if A1P1 is engaged, and that these claims for judicial review should therefore be dismissed.

Leave a comment:

• regron
    replied
    The debate was good and positive in the sense they gave Jesse and the government a good hammering. The finance bill is now key to getting these amendments through. That is what we need to keep an eye on now:

Finance Bill 2019-21 — UK Parliament

Leave a comment:

• dammit chloe
    replied
    Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
    so swamped at work well home now. Anyone got a good summary they can post. I am going to log on and not be lazy. Just all hell breaking loose right now
    If you saw the last debate, pretty much a re-run.

Leave a comment:

• lowpaidworker
    replied
    Originally posted by Iter View Post
    LC 2019 Debate showing right now on BBC Parliament
    so swamped at work well home now. Anyone got a good summary they can post. I am going to log on and not be lazy. Just all hell breaking loose right now

Leave a comment:

• Iter
    replied
    Originally posted by piebaps View Post
    Well funsize, you've come to the right place!!

Don't post too much detail on here as HMRC plus the scumbags who operated whichever scheme you used all read these pages. Also, beware of trusting anonymous advice gained on the internet - including this.

Have a play around with the search facility and try to find your scheme. Most schemes have their own threads so you can get opinion from other users.

You mentioned an accountant. Is he/she independent or are they connected to the scheme? If they're connected or recommended you the scheme, a second opinion may be worthwhile but make sure its independent.

Several accountants are regulars on these pages. Probably the most prolific is Graham Webber from a firm called WTT. he posts as webberg and you will see him and his firm WTT mentioned regularly. They operate something called "big group" which is a big group who share the cost of representation. Just google WTT and you'll see their contact details. There are of course others. The guys posting on here are interested and experienced in helping scheme users and may give a different view to your own accountant. Remember though that advice costs money.

LCAG is the Loan Charge Action Group. Google and ye shall find.
    LC 2019 Debate showing right now on BBC Parliament

Leave a comment:

• piebaps
    replied
    Well funsize, you've come to the right place!!

Don't post too much detail on here as HMRC plus the scumbags who operated whichever scheme you used all read these pages. Also, beware of trusting anonymous advice gained on the internet - including this.

Have a play around with the search facility and try to find your scheme. Most schemes have their own threads so you can get opinion from other users.

You mentioned an accountant. Is he/she independent or are they connected to the scheme? If they're connected or recommended you the scheme, a second opinion may be worthwhile but make sure its independent.

Several accountants are regulars on these pages. Probably the most prolific is Graham Webber from a firm called WTT. he posts as webberg and you will see him and his firm WTT mentioned regularly. They operate something called "big group" which is a big group who share the cost of representation. Just google WTT and you'll see their contact details. There are of course others. The guys posting on here are interested and experienced in helping scheme users and may give a different view to your own accountant. Remember though that advice costs money.

LCAG is the Loan Charge Action Group. Google and ye shall find.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X