• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Write/email your MP asking them to support EDM 1239"

Collapse

• headspin
    replied
    and the Beast of Bolsover himself, Dennis Skinner, makes it 94. We'll hit 100 soon

Leave a comment:

• headspin
    replied
    2 more yesterday

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Finally heard back from my Tory MP, having written to him in June.

What a joke these MPs are. He just sent me the cut&paste standard response. A full page of the same old drivel being spewed from the HMRC puppets.

My family will not be voting for him next time.

Leave a comment:

• Endofdays
    replied
    Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
    Passed this on to LCAG who contacted BG and they have three people in his constituency. They have said he is just sending out Mel Stride's letter. Is there anything more substantive to Jo Johnson's interest that you know of?

While people face mental breakdown and sell their homes

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/708010...rporation-tax/

More pigs in the trough

So unless you are a tech giant or uk mp.....

Leave a comment:

• dammit chloe
    replied
    Originally posted by QCApproved View Post
    Please continue to approach and engage
    Any one in Jo Jonhson's constituency drop a PM - he seeking to engage with all his affected constituents on this very important matter
    Thanks
    Passed this on to LCAG who contacted BG and they have three people in his constituency. They have said he is just sending out Mel Stride's letter. Is there anything more substantive to Jo Johnson's interest that you know of?

Leave a comment:

• QCApproved
    replied
    Please continue to approach and engage
    Any one in Jo Jonhson's constituency drop a PM - he seeking to engage with all his affected constituents on this very important matter
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• QCApproved
    replied
    well done Mayfire
    if you contact LCAG they will put you in with anyone else from York Central they are ware of

Leave a comment:

• mayfire
    replied
    If anyone is based in york please email/call Rachael Maskell, she is now looking in to this on my behalf but I know if more
    People were affected in York she would take it more seriously.

Leave a comment:

• rshome
    replied
    Great ask him if they'd be dealing with Jeff Bezos in this heavy handed manner
    They's be more likely to be inviting him to 100 Parliament for foie gras and port tapping him up for a job in his tax department
    in which they could use the insghts they have gained from their career at HMRC
    He seems to be consistently several steps ahead...
    Yep, I mentioned Amazon, Google, Starbucks etc and have not had a response now!

Leave a comment:

• QCApproved
    replied
    Great ask him if they'd be dealing with Jeff Bezos in this heavy handed manner
    They's be more likely to be inviting him to 100 Parliament for foie gras and port tapping him up for a job in his tax department
    in which they could use the insghts they have gained from their career at HMRC
    He seems to be consistently several steps ahead...

Leave a comment:

• Lurker99
    replied
    This is the latest revised standard cut and paste that HMRC send out via Mel and the Treasury that ignores most of the key issues and seeks to distract from them in fact.
    Unfortunately you will have to take your MP on an educative journey through detailed rebuttal and further info.
    Ultimately he will realise whether he likes it or not that HMRC and a number of figures have been key actors or rather inactors in this and the inequity should be manifest.

There is a phrase that is being more and more common and it is:"Its not clear to me what HMRC have been doing in the interim" (!)

The Loan Charge action Group can support you with guidance and materials to do
    My MP replied with same cut and paste from HMRC without even bothering to add ant personally touches, took him probably two months as well. He like a lot needs to investigate more and not just accept. I'll reply with material from LCAG and here.

Leave a comment:

• QCApproved
    replied
    This is the latest revised standard cut and paste that HMRC send out via Mel and the Treasury that ignores most of the key issues and seeks to distract from them in fact.
    Unfortunately you will have to take your MP on an educative journey through detailed rebuttal and further info.
    Ultimately he will realise whether he likes it or not that HMRC and a number of figures have been key actors or rather inactors in this and the inequity should be manifest.

There is a phrase that is being more and more common and it is:"Its not clear to me what HMRC have been doing in the interim" (!)

The Loan Charge action Group can support you with guidance and materials to do

Leave a comment:

• Calmbeforethestorm
    replied
    Originally posted by rshome View Post
    Hi All

I wrote to my MP but he wasn't willing to sign the EDM. He said he is willing to liaise with HMRC on my behalf but has no power to waiver any tax bill. So not really sure if he will be much help. Here is his response.

"..Many thanks for getting in touch.

Thank you for letting me know of your support for the EDM, but unfortunately as a Minister it’s not standard policy for me to sign them. I also actually don't agree with EDMs for reasons which I would be happy to explain if you'd like.

I'm very sorry to hear that you’re having great financial worries as a result of this policy and I would be very happy to help you with this. I've had a lot of feedback on this issue and so have discussed this at length with Treasury Ministers.

They've explained to me that the 2019 Loan Charge aims at tackling tax avoidance and evasion. This priority has meant that since 2010, over £175 billion of tax revenues have been protected which makes our tax gap fall at a record low of 6% which I do fully support.

I appreciate your strong feelings about this, but they’ve explained to me that the Government has felt that disguised remuneration schemes were a form of tax avoidance as it’s meant that people are taking home almost all of their pay tax-free whilst also benefiting from state pensions, tax credits and reduced student loan repayments etc. which cost the Government hundreds of millions of pounds a year. They’ve explained that under such schemes, the remainder of that income was then described as a tax-free loan, often from abroad, despite the payment really being the same as employment income. This is why a loan charge has been applied.

In 2016 the Government announced a grace period of 3 years so that people in these schemes could reach a settlement with HMRC up until April 2019. You mentioned that this is retrospective tax, but this isn’t the case as it doesn’t change the tax position for scheme users in the year their income was received. The charge is a new charge that will be owed at a future date and doesn’t change the tax position of any previous year.

As these schemes have always been illegal, the tax had always been due and so isn’t retrospective, HMRC and the Treasury are just clamping down on the schemes, which is what Mel Stride had said in the Chamber recently. I know that users of the schemes were often told that they were lawful, but they have unfortunately always been tax avoidance and tax was also due under the law. HMRC have been very vocal about warning people of such schemes over the years.

Having spoken with them, they do have support for those who are in genuine financial difficulty and are able to support people who are worried about their tax affairs because of this policy. If you had wanted me to help you liaise with them for support in your case, then please do let me know as I would be more than happy to if you are feeling you’ve been treated in a way that puts too much pressure. They assured me that they will take all personal circumstances into account.

I would be very happy to help in any way I can with your specific circumstances if you wanted me to. Of course I have no control over tax bills, but I can liaise with HMRC for you. Please do just let me know.

Thanks again for your email. Please let me know if you’d like to speak about this or anything else further as I would be more than happy to.
    .."
    Who was this MP?

He seems to be missing the point that HMRC are going back 20 years.

They may have a point in arguing that since the onset of DR legislation in 2010/11 there should have been a general awareness of some sort of crackdown and since 2016 anyone doing loans ought to have realised it would be troublesome as it was in the original FA that year that got shelved.

HMRC are also wilfully neglecting the fact that they have bent the Rangers case rulings to suit their needs and they are doing nothing against employers.... probably knowing full well that they are one of them.

Leave a comment:

• rshome
    replied
    Response from my MP

Hi All

I wrote to my MP but he wasn't willing to sign the EDM. He said he is willing to liaise with HMRC on my behalf but has no power to waiver any tax bill. So not really sure if he will be much help. Here is his response.

"..Many thanks for getting in touch.

Thank you for letting me know of your support for the EDM, but unfortunately as a Minister it’s not standard policy for me to sign them. I also actually don't agree with EDMs for reasons which I would be happy to explain if you'd like.

I'm very sorry to hear that you’re having great financial worries as a result of this policy and I would be very happy to help you with this. I've had a lot of feedback on this issue and so have discussed this at length with Treasury Ministers.

They've explained to me that the 2019 Loan Charge aims at tackling tax avoidance and evasion. This priority has meant that since 2010, over £175 billion of tax revenues have been protected which makes our tax gap fall at a record low of 6% which I do fully support.

I appreciate your strong feelings about this, but they’ve explained to me that the Government has felt that disguised remuneration schemes were a form of tax avoidance as it’s meant that people are taking home almost all of their pay tax-free whilst also benefiting from state pensions, tax credits and reduced student loan repayments etc. which cost the Government hundreds of millions of pounds a year. They’ve explained that under such schemes, the remainder of that income was then described as a tax-free loan, often from abroad, despite the payment really being the same as employment income. This is why a loan charge has been applied.

In 2016 the Government announced a grace period of 3 years so that people in these schemes could reach a settlement with HMRC up until April 2019. You mentioned that this is retrospective tax, but this isn’t the case as it doesn’t change the tax position for scheme users in the year their income was received. The charge is a new charge that will be owed at a future date and doesn’t change the tax position of any previous year.

As these schemes have always been illegal, the tax had always been due and so isn’t retrospective, HMRC and the Treasury are just clamping down on the schemes, which is what Mel Stride had said in the Chamber recently. I know that users of the schemes were often told that they were lawful, but they have unfortunately always been tax avoidance and tax was also due under the law. HMRC have been very vocal about warning people of such schemes over the years.

Having spoken with them, they do have support for those who are in genuine financial difficulty and are able to support people who are worried about their tax affairs because of this policy. If you had wanted me to help you liaise with them for support in your case, then please do let me know as I would be more than happy to if you are feeling you’ve been treated in a way that puts too much pressure. They assured me that they will take all personal circumstances into account.

I would be very happy to help in any way I can with your specific circumstances if you wanted me to. Of course I have no control over tax bills, but I can liaise with HMRC for you. Please do just let me know.

Thanks again for your email. Please let me know if you’d like to speak about this or anything else further as I would be more than happy to.
    .."

Leave a comment:

• QCApproved
    replied
    CBTS - If you email the LCAG they have a number of articles that you could send on - If you would prefer to PM I can dig some out too, There is an excellent one on the Enterprise Tax website.
    Well done
    The inequity of the LC is obvious once explained and put in context.

Please continue to do this everyone - write arrange a meeting and reach for help and materials
    Last edited by QCApproved; 3 August 2018, 14:49.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X