• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Car Accident, responsibility accepted by the other party, repair arranged, Any catch?"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Things are just soo much simpler in minor collisions to just do things without insurance companies involved.

Wife's car go whacked in the rear by a motorcycle a couple of months back. Even the cops said don't bother with insurance.

How much damage is there. And surely the other party much think their insurance will rocket up for the next few years.

Anyway..its all a scam. we'd all be better off without it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I don't know if getting it done by a dealer will get the proper thickness or any touch up will be spotted but worth bearing in mind when accepting offers for cheap touch-ups.
    Which reminds me. Shouldn't you be back at work?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Interesting thing on minor repairs..

If you have a fairly valuable car some companies (Webuyanycar did!) will bring a little tool to check the thickness of the paint over the entire car.

Someone I know had a minor bump in an M3 and had to have it touched up. Guy from webuy spotted it with his tool as it was much thicker than the original and knocked off a noteable sum off the price offered.

I don't know if getting it done by a dealer will get the proper thickness or any touch up will be spotted but worth bearing in mind when accepting offers for cheap touch-ups.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It's also to do with theft.

Parking on a drive or in a garage means that if someone wants to steal your car they will know which house to break into to get the keys. It has happened to people I know. Luckily they both "stupidly" left their keys downstairs in sight.
    That all sounds a little complicated for the insurance models to factor in butI'd love to know how the scorecards work, someone on here must know. However, Unless you live in a city it's usually pretty obvious which house the car is at.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Got to be careful stating garages. The number of people that actually park their car in a garage is pretty darn small nowadays so it's an easy out if the insurance want to try to avoid paying out.
    Agree, I use mine though as it's large and accomodates cars, junk and my garden tractor.

Originally posted by Magpie252 View Post
    Getting back on-track

To sum up, punter had his car repaired, but repairs weren’t up to standard, 3rd party insurance company refused any further remediation work.

So my advice would be to use your insurance to safe guard yourself.
    Good advice, some of the mobile ones are not trained bodyshop technicians and they use no more than an artists airbrush to spray on the paint, they are not long lasting repairs. When selling the car an AA inspection would detect the repair easily as they can measure the thickness of the paint.
    Moreover, how do you know the impact hasn't crumpled the chasis in some way, may not be obvious from exterior damage.
    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 2 July 2014, 15:54. Reason: Someone has OCD

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Obviously depends on where you live and gender.
    Are they still scamming us men. I thought that was now illegal.

Damn all those girl racers.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Interesting, I know for a fact mone is cheaper because it's in the garage as I checked, parking on the drive made little difference. Obviously depends on where you live and gender. A busy street is unlikely to have a Garage so prehaps they are assuming the insuree is lying and therefore more risky.
    It's also to do with theft.

Parking on a drive or in a garage means that if someone wants to steal your car they will know which house to break into to get the keys. It has happened to people I know. Luckily they both "stupidly" left their keys downstairs in sight.

Leave a comment:

• Magpie252
    replied
    Getting back on-track

I did see one of those consumer rights television programs by Dominic Littlewood with exactly this situation.

To sum up, punter had his car repaired, but repairs weren’t up to standard, 3rd party insurance company refused any further remediation work.

Punter had no legal recourse with the 3rd party as there was no contract between them, if he’d used his own insurance company to resolve the claim then the situation would have been much easier to resolve.

So my advice would be to use your insurance to safe guard yourself.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Interesting, I know for a fact mone is cheaper because it's in the garage as I checked, parking on the drive made little difference. Obviously depends on where you live and gender. A busy street is unlikely to have a Garage so prehaps they are assuming the insuree is lying and therefore more risky.
    Got to be careful stating garages. The number of people that actually park their car in a garage is pretty darn small nowadays so it's an easy out if the insurance want to try to avoid paying out.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Fandango View Post
    Another really perverse fact relating to premiums is that it looks like if you say you car is securely parked away in a garage every night then its more expensive than saying you leave it on the street!!

https://www.confused.com/car-insuran...t-drivers-more

Leave a comment:

• Fandango
    replied
    Another really perverse fact relating to premiums is that it looks like if you say you car is securely parked away in a garage every night then its more expensive than saying you leave it on the street!!

https://www.confused.com/car-insuran...t-drivers-more

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    paint has to baked on most new cars to harden properly, especially with lacquer.

If the crash has been reported to any insurance company its on the system, if you don't mention it they will when it comes to claiming.

Claims and Underwriting Exchange

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Hmmm,
    "Statistically more likely to have an accident even if it wasn't your fault"

I think what this means is many/a sizable minority cause accidents by the way they drive even if someone else hits them. For example someone very heavy on the brakes, speeds, or is lazy with indicators is probably going to be in more accidents even if it looks on paper like they they are blameless. They are assuming that, which is IMHO unfair.

On the whole a good driver is not going to be at a higher risk.

As for mobile repairer, hmmm, you won't get a top notch repair from one of those. If the car is worth anything you want a proper body shop. He's looking at paying sub £100 and you get hit for a premium rise if you aren't careful. He won you lost.

As for mentioning every little accident, that's just an excuse for the insurance company to re-rate you. For example, should I tell them if I hit a shopping trolly in a supermarket car park, kerb a wheel, run over a Rabbit, reverse into my garage door. All could result in a trip to the body shop but IMHO none of their fecking business if I sort it.
    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 1 July 2014, 22:38.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    Any one had similar experience? What should I do? Will it affect my no-claims? Should I contact my insurer?
    Yes! You do need to contact your insurer.

The scenario is that at renewal time you would have to declare the crash anyway and if you don't and you have an at fault crash they will check the claims database and find out that you had an undeclared claim and then try to wriggle out of paying you. Declare it to them, they WILL find out if you don't declare it and you have a claim.

It doesn't affect your no-claims bonus but the NCB is a load of tulip anyway because they can put your premium up even if you haven't lost any NCB!!

Will your premium go up? Maybe, maybe not. Try entering some test details into the online quote system and see if the amount of the quote changes if you have had a non-fault accident.

Why is the other party so eager to fix your car for you? Because if you go to your own insurance company then your insurance company will absolutely spank the other company for a gold plated repair service (from which they get a kick back in the way of a "referral fee") and an over priced courtesy car (for which they get another referral fee) for you to use while yours is off the road.

Likewise, your insurer will get a huge kickback from a no win no fee lawyer that they pass your details on to (probably without telling you too).

It's a bulltulip game they all play and the insurers hate it but since all the other insurers are doing it then they have to join in or they get caned.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    A little bird once told me that if you are involved in an accident even if it is not your fault statistics show there is an increased probability of your being in further accidents. Your insurance company may adjust your premium to cater for this increased risk. Consequently I'd keep quiet.

I hope this is twaddle, but just in case, like.
    Unfortunately it isn't twaddle...

Rise In Premiums Following a Non Fault Accident

Insurer assumptions leave holes that you can exploit - Telegraph

Car insurance: no-fault claims are the Elephant in the room | Money | theguardian.com

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    What has your car being under warranty got to do with accident damaged bumpers?!?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 1 July 2014, 19:04.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X