• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why is Luis Suarez being charged with assault?"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    Although biting is bizarre, it is very minor compared to a leg breaking tackle. Charging him with assault is the right way to go as it is nothing to do with the game.
    True but leg breaking tackles are not always deliberate. Some are like Cantona's lunge years ago but many are in the heat of the game. If you watch all of his bites there is a pause were he re-adjusts and then goes in for the bite. He has to make a concious effort to make the bite which is more serious. The guy, in my mind, has issues. If his brain is switching in to some automatic mode when he does this he won't stop.

Back the assault thing. There was an article on BBC sport about what would happen if he got charged comparing it to biting someone in the street. The lawyer interviewed said for a third offence he might get a short but suspended sentence and some community service. His football ban is much more severe and would be more likely to make him think than a criminal case so probably not in the public interest really.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Uruguay teams have a track record of behaving like animals on the pitch. It's their mentality.

You'll find most of that country think Suarez was treated very harshly, or even that he didn't do anything wrong. It seems that it's the fault of the Italian who was bitten for complaining, and the English.

His grandmother complained that FIFA treated him "like a dog". There's irony there.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I think he should have got a longer ban. Cantona was banned for yonks for kicking a scrote. The length of the ban was pretty fair because his actions were well over the top but it was something he did once and once only. Ferdinand got an 8 month ban for missing a single drugs test. Suarez gets 4 months for biting a fellow professional....the third time he's been caught doing this. The bulk of this 4 month ban is in the close season.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigD
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    On the TV pictures the referee refused to even look at the Italian player's shoulder; that seems to me to be seriously irresponsible. Does the referee have no duty of care to the players?

Ban the cannibal, suspend and replace the ref and replay the match.
    What good would looking at a mark on the players shoulder do if the ref didn't see what happened? If he didn't see Suarez bite him, then there's not much he can do.

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    His club, sorry, football company, chose to employ a man with a track record of biting people. That's their own business risk. Ban him for good.
    When they signed him, he'd done it once. I'm not condoning his actions but it doesn't constitute a track record.

The ref didn't see it, so couldn't do anything about it. That's why FIFA are able to review it after the game. The ban should of been harsher, maybe 12 months from all football and a bigger fine, but not a lifetime ban. As people have said, there's much more violent acts that happen on the pitch that by and large go unpunished.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    This is exactly what Liverpool did last season - anger management before and after games.

How can Liverpool be a it out of him ? He's hard wired and Liverpool did "control" him last year, however when he went on international duty they lose the chance to keep up his therapy.
    Send the twat to the dentist, hold him down while he has his gnashers extracted, problem solved!!

He doesn't need teeth to eat pasta and chicken and anywho it can be liquidised (that's what you normally do for babies)

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I think it just the whole biting thing

young kids bite when frustrated - but then they grow out of it and just start to punch or kick...

he has some serious problems.

lol!

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I also can't take much more of the BBC pundits sticking their oar in, Shearer and Savage were as dirty as they come in their day, bloody hypocrites.
    Shearer got away with kicking someone in the head because the spineless FA didnt want to lose him for the upcoming tournament.

Savage was a decent player but his game revolved around winding players up

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post

Anyway joking aside, rather than banning him maybe they should mandate anger management for 6 months.
    This is exactly what Liverpool did last season - anger management before and after games.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So only ban him from matches where the team he's playing for would be affected? That's unrealistic. You could argue it's as much Liverpool's fault as Uruguay's for not 'beating it out of him'.
    How can Liverpool be a it out of him ? He's hard wired and Liverpool did "control" him last year, however when he went on international duty they lose the chance to keep up his therapy.

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    Although biting is bizarre, it is very minor compared to a leg breaking tackle. Charging him with assault is the right way to go as it is nothing to do with the game.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Yes, but a small bite to the shoulder is hardly the same is it.
    Never mind a "small bite", apart from everything else it's the principle of the behaviour.

You can even be banned for saying something on the pitch that no-one hears.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    What is grossly unfair is that Liverpool lose him for more matches than Uruguay, as a fan I'd much rather see him have a longer international ban as that was the stage where the 'crime' took place.

I also can't take much more of the BBC pundits sticking their oar in, Shearer and Savage were as dirty as they come in their day, bloody hypocrites.

What Suarez does is disturbing but you can't tell me it's worse than a headbutt, elbow or kicking someone in the face, all of which happen on a regular basis and some by serial offenders who get off with lesser punishment.

I'm in no-way condoning what he did but they should punish the player and the team he was playing for not the club who had no involvement.
    Yes, look at what Keane used to get up to.

Didn't he break the leg of a Man City player (?) and then later admit in his biography that it was intentional?

No lengthy ban there ISTR. I think the thing is, you can disguise malice in a bad challenge. A bite, on the other hand, is a bite.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Excellent stuff.

That should keep 'em out of the top 4 next season

Regards,

A part time Gooner.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    So it's never been done before but we'll feck Liverpool over this time, no consistency.

Blaming the club for not beating it out of him, laughable.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm sure his salary will be docked, there will be clauses about not bringing the club into disrepute in his contract.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    What is grossly unfair is that Liverpool lose him for more matches than Uruguay, as a fan I'd much rather see him have a longer international ban as that was the stage where the 'crime' took place.

What Suarez does is disturbing but you can't tell me it's worse than a headbutt, elbow or kicking someone in the face, all of which happen on a regular basis and some by serial offenders who get off with lesser punishment.

I'm in no-way condoning what he did but they should punish the player and the team he was playing for not the club who had no involvement.
    They have punished the player. He had to get a total ban because international football isn't important enough to be a serious punishment on its own. Now Liverpool have to decide if they're going to fine him or hold back salary for making himself unavailable so it'll hit him in the pocket too hopefully.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X