• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Baby boomers?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Baby boomers?"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Quite z. And mortgages at 11% plus.

Every generation blames the one before. Probably rightly, because mankind always cocks things up and never learns. In 40 years somebody will be blaming this generation for returning the UK to a tribal society, barely room to stand up and rule by a dictator in Luxembourg.

Cue for a song:

Mike & The Mechanics - The living Years - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Well I agree that you can't pin this solely on the baby boomers. It's not like the younger generation is much keener on tightening the belt. I think the issue arises in that we're not going to have it as easy as the baby boomers, which understandably causes some measure of envy.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    You can blame people for not holding the government accountable, for voting in stupid policies that aren't properly digested, yet "sound" or "feel" good, for ignoring sound economics, for basically not caring who pays the price for the policies they vote for as long as they get theirs, for ignoring the motives and incentives that face the political class, for overestimating or taking at face value the pretence to knowledge of the technocratic elite etc etc.

The government can only get away with what it does when the populace is tacitly or actively supportive of it. Not that everyone is to blame, far from it, as in any given democracy (and especially the British system) there's always a large minority that didn't vote on particular policies and such. I think one of the worst habits in this country is voting along tribal lines.
    In which case us youngsters should be put to the sword, we allowed B'liar to ship in jihadists and cheap labour, mortgage us to the hilt and raid the pensions.

The Baby Boomers got free degree education (on the grounds they would pay more tax), they took the pension they were given instead of demanding lower pensions to pay for government excess.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Not sure you can blame the 'Baby Boomers' for the state of the nation.

That the Government failed to plan beyond the next election or invest for the long term is not their fault.
    You can blame people for not holding the government accountable, for voting in stupid policies that aren't properly digested, yet "sound" or "feel" good, for ignoring sound economics, for basically not caring who pays the price for the policies they vote for as long as they get theirs, for ignoring the motives and incentives that face the political class, for overestimating or taking at face value the pretence to knowledge of the technocratic elite etc etc.

The government can only get away with what it does when the populace is tacitly or actively supportive of it. Not that everyone is to blame, far from it, as in any given democracy (and especially the British system) there's always a large minority that didn't vote on particular policies and such. I think one of the worst habits in this country is voting along tribal lines.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Baby boomers?

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    There is a certain element of Baby Boomers who look down at the generations who came afterwards not appreciating that their paid for degree, job security, house got at a knock down price and final salary will never be emulated.
    Now we're starting to get somewhere...

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    but to accuse them all of it is untrue.
    That is fair, I concede I was over harsh and generalising.

FWIIW it is the silver surfer off to golf on Monday morning retires I am really bothered about.

Respect to everyone on this forum, apologies to any I may have unintentionally offended.

Off to get a crapachino and free wi-fi.

Laterz
    Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 23 June 2014, 19:29.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Problem is successive generations of politicians did nothing to reform pensions until the current incumbents had no choice.

There is a certain element of Baby Boomers who look down at the generations who came afterwards not appreciating that their paid for degree, job security, house got at a knock down price and final salary will never be emulated but to accuse them all of it is untrue.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

That the Government failed to plan beyond the next election or invest for the long term is not their fault.
    Failing to plan, is planning to fail

It's entirely their fault

Leave a comment:

• zoco
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    John Major was really the only PM we've had who could be said to come from the baby boomer generation (though a quick Wikipedia check shows he was born in 1943); Blair and Brown were born in the 50s and Thatcher much earlier before the war. Before Thatcher the country was run by old men, and post Major by young trendy New Labourites. So who ruined the country?
    Hang on a second.

I thought the definition of baby boomers was those born between 1945 and 1965? That's certainly what I have in my mind - can't remember where I've read it and I can't be bothered to look - but one thing s for sure & that's that baby boomers were born AFTER the war so you are wrong in your assertion. Major wasn't a baby boomer but all that have followed up to Cameron are.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    if BOB would just get of the phone and do some work it would be great

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    John Major was really the only PM we've had who could be said to come from the baby boomer generation (though a quick Wikipedia check shows he was born in 1943); Blair and Brown were born in the 50s and Thatcher much earlier before the war. Before Thatcher the country was run by old men, and post Major by young trendy New Labourites. So who ruined the country?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Increasingly I have nothing but despise for this generation. Harsh, but I am being honest. The mess this country in is really down to this generation...

Anyone else feel this way?
    No, just you by the look of it.

What mess are you referring to? How is it any more of a mess than any other era?

The world has always drifted on, losing some old sh1t and gaining some new sh1t to take its place.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Loved the ;, pity it's in the rong plaice.
    That's a red herring though.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by zoco View Post
    I worked with a young British Asian chap a couple of years ago. He was in his early '30s I guess and he certainly held exactly the same views as you.

His view was that his generation had been bequeathed a chalice made of excrement by the baby boomer generation.
    I have no idea what a 'baby boomer' is in this context - but did anyone here remeber 3 day weeks, rationed electricity , supermarkets were a joke compared to today, huge amounts of child abuse/bullying/casual racism on a daily basis for all the kids in school - and I could go on.

Is this muppet somehow implying in the Starbucks filled, free wifi land where being a spoilt complaing brat is de rigeur that they somehow have it harder than those who grew up in the 70/80/90's?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Whose sockie is monkey boy again ? The quality has gone down really. I blame the baby boomers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X