• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Racism at its finest"

Collapse

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    I'm guessing the difference in spending is largely because of the employment of extra classroom assistants and/or translators.

Could be state funded trips to Mecca I suppose.

Trojan Horse: Birmingham academy spent £50,000 on trip to Saudi Arabia using travel firm linked to school director - Birmingham Mail

I hope these costs are included in those wonderful statistics that prove immigration is such a benefit to the economy
    Hopefully such funding is now being redirected to remedial literacy classes for UKIP supporters who voted UKIN.

An Independence From Europe - Mike Nattrass MEP

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    It is a lot to do with high ethnic areas, Tower Hamlets for example, receiving a lot of extra funding and attention which those in rural areas do not get.

Borough's school's 'among world's best'

BBC News - What does the schools spending data show?

Those lazy welfare dependent white Brits of Knowsley in Merseyside eh? If we doubled the money spent on them to match that we spend on ethnic/migrant areas, that might work.
    I'm guessing the difference in spending is largely because of the employment of extra classroom assistants and/or translators.

Could be state funded trips to Mecca I suppose.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news...-spent-7248217

I hope these costs are included in those wonderful statistics that prove immigration is such a benefit to the economy

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Probably a stat to show the poor white brits that 'hey your're dumb. but not as dumb as these folk. so be happy"

Its crap.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    They went looking for a race element otherwise they wouldn't have asked the question. And perhaps that in itself could be called racist.
    No - because the definition of racism is as per the block you quoted. Recording statistics with regards to race is no different than recording them due to sex.

For example it would be absurd to suggest that stating "boys perform less well in school than girls, and therefore perhaps we should pay more attention to improving boys performance at school" is in any way sexist. It's just a statistical fact.

The latter example is actually closer to sexism than the former is to racism, because we all understand that boys and girls, generally speaking, ARE very different. It's still not sexist though.

The original example doesn't even suggest what the reason may be for the disparity - only that there is one. It would be a fair assumption, in my mind, to assume that the difference is cultural - and I presume that most others would make the same assumption. So even there there is no racism - culture and race share a coincidental relationship rather than a causal one.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    There is no "belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:" implied here.
    They went looking for a race element otherwise they wouldn't have asked the question. And perhaps that in itself could be called racist.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    There you go a dictionary definition.

racism: definition of racism in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)

They are grading peoples ability with regard to their race, they are making decisions based on characteristics they believe their race possess.

Not sure what you think racism is, but I agree with the dictionary definition.

Now if they measured against time in country, economic status or qualifications of parents etc it might be more interesting.
    They aren't grading people's ability according to differing benchmarks that have been set with regard to their race, as you seem to be implying (that's the only way you can agree with the dictionary definition and still think it's racist). They are simply identifying that among poor children, the white ones are performing the worst:

Their exam results are much worse than disadvantaged black or Asian pupils.
    There is no "belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:" implied here.

It's like me saying "more black people Britain rob cars than white people, proportionally speaking". Whether that's true or false, it's not racist by your own (and the dictionary's) definition.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    IF that were true (not saying whether it is or isn't) it still has nothing to do with racism. I think you misunderstand what racism is.

Whether that is right or not, it's nothing to do with racism.

I don't know what 'grading people on the colour of their skin' means.
    There you go a dictionary definition.

racism: definition of racism in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)

The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:
    They are grading peoples ability with regard to their race, they are making decisions based on characteristics they believe their race possess.

Not sure what you think racism is, but I agree with the dictionary definition.

Now if they measured against time in country, economic status or qualifications of parents etc it might be more interesting.
    Last edited by vetran; 18 June 2014, 12:05.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Not sure it is a good way of identifying those that are behind by race but it seems to be the way they do
    This is actually a comparison of a small subsection of pupils, AKA pupils from poorer backgrounds. Because some minorities tend to have much larger numbers from poorer backgrounds, this is not a comparison of like with like. Taking all pupils into account, Chinese and Indians do actually perform better than the white British but other groups certainly do not.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Why do they have to identify children like that? Can't that just identify poor pupils whatever their background?
    That'd put a lot of people in government & government sponsored positions out of a job. The whole point of government is to grow for it's own sake. Hence the continual invention of illusory 'problems'.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    The white kids need it :

POOR PUPILS ACHIEVING GOOD GCSEs
    White British 32% (28.3% boys; 37% girls)
    Indian 62%
    Pakistani 47%
    Black African 51%
    Black Caribbean 42%

Not sure it is a good way of identifying those that are behind by race but it seems to be the way they do.
    Why do they have to identify children like that? Can't that just identify poor pupils whatever their background?

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    yes but if additional funding is distributed based on race and preconceived ideas of a race's achievement ... That pupil gets less money spent on them because they are Indian or Chinese ...
    IF that were true (not saying whether it is or isn't) it still has nothing to do with racism. I think you misunderstand what racism is.

We need another measure that ignores race for making decisions.
    Whether that is right or not, it's nothing to do with racism.

You either decide grading people on the colour of their skin is wrong or you don't. If you do think its wrong then you need more scientific methods.
    I don't know what 'grading people on the colour of their skin' means.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Achievement is defined by virtue of achievement, not by race. It is analysed by race as it gives an understanding of where the greatest need is.
    yes but if additional funding is distributed based on race and preconceived ideas of a race's achievement is that not racist? That pupil gets less money spent on them because they are Indian or Chinese is obviously racist. That pupil gets more money spent on them because they are under achieving is fine.

We need another measure that ignores race for making decisions.

You either decide grading people on the colour of their skin is wrong or you don't. If you do think its wrong then you need more scientific methods.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    But that would be racist, you'd be spending as much on British citizens as ethnic minorities, imagine the uproar in The Guardian!
    Are ethnic minorities not British citizens?

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    It is a lot to do with high ethnic areas, Tower Hamlets for example, receiving a lot of extra funding and attention which those in rural areas do not get.

Borough's school's 'among world's best'

BBC News - What does the schools spending data show?

Those lazy welfare dependent white Brits of Knowsley in Merseyside eh? If we doubled the money spent on them to match that we spend on ethnic/migrant areas, that might work.
    But that would be racist, you'd be spending as much on British citizens as ethnic minorities, imagine the uproar in The Guardian!

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    surely by defining achievement by virtue of race is inherently racist?

Interesting that the African & Pakistani results have climbed appreciably maybe that is down to the money spent on them?

I would prefer to see everyone treated equally and support for the weaker be available to all.
    Achievement is defined by virtue of achievement, not by race. It is analysed by race as it gives an understanding of where the greatest need is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X