• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: PM Gigs

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PM Gigs"

Collapse

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    It isn't hearsay at all. It is an assumption. There is a lot of information around, and it seems very unlikely that there is no evidence. Therefore it is very likely that there is evidence.
    I've heard something along those lines before.

qh

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    Any other IT PM's finding the market tough at the moment around London upwards? Been looking for a while now with leads coming in but no interviews which is unusual for me. I'm being very proactive, have revamped the CV, calling agents I've worked with in the past, dogging previous contacts (not literally) for leads, updating Linked in, chasing roles applied for on the job boards. I'm also studying to increase my qualifications (PMP, APM). Not sure I can do anything else..

Anyone else having the same problem?
    Talk about going off on tangents...

To answer original query, I would say (imho) that the London IT PM market always ticks over at a steady rate, ie there aren't really any peak or trough periods. There are always roles being advertised albeit mainly in banking, insurance, , public sector, services. I have never had a problem, for example my current role went from job ad-->apply-->interviews x 2-->offer within 3 days.

There are roles out there, just keep on applying and make sure your CV has usps that stand you out from the rest.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Good for you . But we only have your own (unbiased) word on this
    I guess I'll just have to live with that. Best of luck with your search.

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    But an idiot who has no problems finding well remunerated PM work 60% based from home.
    Good for you . But we only have your own (unbiased) word on this

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I thought I'd been on many sites before where prices were listed ex VAT without explicitly saying so, until you went to check out. I might be mis-remembering, or that might still count as indicating they are ex-VAT. Or such companies might be non-compliant, it's hardly unusual! So I'd suggest it probably IS commonplace, just as it is commonplace for reputable (typically very small) companies not to post their company registration info on their sites.
    Like you, I thought I'd remembered seeing prices ex VAT, but it's often in smaller print at the bottom - e.g. Orange (ee's) business page. At the bottom of the list of prices, it says 'all prices exclude VAT'. I can't actually find any examples where they haven't stated it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I thought I'd been on many sites before where prices were listed ex VAT without explicitly saying so, until you went to check out. I might be mis-remembering, or that might still count as indicating they are ex-VAT. Or such companies might be non-compliant, it's hardly unusual! So I'd suggest it probably IS commonplace, just as it is commonplace for reputable (typically very small) companies not to post their company registration info on their sites.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Strictly speaking, that's not what the text he quoted said.

Just because a B2B supplier chooses to do something doesn't mean this is the only valid way.

I'm being a little nit-picky, which I know you hate...
    d000hgie boy! Come on in! Nit-picking is great and a valuable contribution to helping our friends at hireonomy become the compliant company they know they want to be.

Let's take this apart because you're right that it needs more accuracy.

First, a more extensive quotation:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...or-traders.pdf

Valued Added Tax (VAT)
    (i) Price indications to consumers
    2.2.9 All price indications you give to consumers, by whatever means, should
    include VAT. This total price must be displayed prominently so that consumers can
    see it.
    (ii) Price indications to business customers
    2.2.10 Prices may be indicated exclusive of VAT at an outlet or through
    advertisements from which all of your business is with business customers. If you
    also conduct business at that outlet or through these advertisements with
    consumers, however, VAT inclusive prices for all goods offered by traders to
    consumers are required by the Price Marking Order. Further information can be
    obtained from your local authority trading standards service or at these websites:
    http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file8175.pdf,
    http://www.trading.standards.gov.uk/
    (iii) Professional fees
    2.2.11 Where you indicate a price (including an estimate) for a professional fee, you
    should make clear what it covers. The price should generally include VAT. In
    cases where the fee is based on an as-yet-unknown sum of money (for example, the
    sale price of a house), you should either:

(a) quote a fee which includes VAT; or

(b) if this is difficult to calculate, make it clear that in addition to your fee the
    consumer would have to pay VAT at the current rate (for example "fee of 1.5% of
    purchase price, plus VAT at 17.5%).
    It seems clear here (at least to me) that while VAT inclusive prices are mandatory for consumers, there are circumstances (B2B and professional services) when it is OK to give an Ex VAT price, if indicated as such. It is nowhere said to be OK to give an Ex VAT price without indicating it as such.

As for SJD, hireonomy stated:

This is taking the thread off topic, but to answer you: we are exclusively B2B therefore we do not need to state the fee as being inclusive/exclusive of VAT as it is commonplace for all B2B sites to be EXCLUSIVE of VAT.
    I quite agree, but is it commonplace for reputable firms to quote prices exclusive of VAT without saying they are exclusive?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You just quoted some legislation saying that you should indicate a price as exclusive of VAT
    Strictly speaking, that's not what the text he quoted said.

How does SJD express its prices? Become a Client - Accountants UK - SJD Accountancy
    Just because a B2B supplier chooses to do something doesn't mean this is the only valid way.

I'm being a little nit-picky, which I know you hate...

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    General is a bit of a playground. But there is a serious point here - you are obliged to state whether or not your prices include VAT. You're right that most B2B transactions exclude VAT, and therefore I'd assume your prices do, but, that doesn't remove the obligation to state that.
    Leaving compliance aside for a moment... Inc or Ex VAT may not be relevant to some customers as they can claim it back, but it is certainly relevant to businesses on FRS scheme, public sector bodies in some circumstances, and to overseas customers.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Hireonomy View Post
    Okay, THIS is the last post on this subject, and that of the website being non compliant.

I have taken advisement from numerous sources who state that in their professional opinion the site is legal and compliant.

If you or anyone else believe different then state the exact reasons/issues publicly rather than posting ambiguous and inflammatory comments.

We joined this site as we felt that it would be a good place to interact with professional contractors, rather than pick fights or play games of one upmanship.

For that reason we will not comment on this further matter.
    Is this unambiguous? It is OK to quote a price as Ex VAT but you need to say it is Ex VAT.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Okay, THIS is the last post on this subject, and that of the website being non compliant.

I have taken advisement from numerous sources who state that in their professional opinion the site is legal and compliant.

If you or anyone else believe different then state the exact reasons/issues publicly rather than posting ambiguous and inflammatory comments.

We joined this site as we felt that it would be a good place to interact with professional contractors, rather than pick fights or play games of one upmanship.

General is a bit of a playground. But there is a serious point here - you are obliged to state whether or not your prices include VAT. You're right that most B2B transactions exclude VAT, and therefore I'd assume your prices do, but, that doesn't remove the obligation to state that.

Leave a comment:

• Hireonomy
    replied
    Nobody is disputing that you may quote Ex or Inc VAT but you must say which. Or do you dispute that? And have you forgotten that the two people who are advising you on this matter are the same ones who kindly advised you of other areas in which your website was (and in a few cases still is) not compliant?

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    To back up his statement. I'm also making the conclusion that you're an idiot. However this is based on the evidence of your recent posts rather than an assumption. Case closed
    But an idiot who has no problems finding well remunerated PM work 60% based from home.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Last post on this topic. B2B businesses have the choice to quote prices Inc VAT or Ex VAT. Most, if not all, businesses expect prices quoted on B2B sites to be Ex VAT.

When an invoice is produced, there is a separate line item for VAT.

Funnily enough, the only people who seem to have a problem with this, are those on here (or rather 2 people on here in particular) whose services ours are not designed for...

The reason we have a "Contractors" section is because we are open with our charging, and thought it nice to openly disclose our Mark Up.

The large multinational organisations that we engage with, have absolutely no problem in understanding our pricing model.
    Nobody is disputing that you may quote Ex or Inc VAT but you must say which. Or do you dispute that? And have you forgotten that the two people who are advising you on this matter are the same ones who kindly advised you of other areas in which your website was (and in a few cases still is) not compliant?

Leave a comment:

• Hireonomy
    replied
    These fine people Contractor Accounting | InTouch quote their B2B prices as £92 + VAT per month. Clear and compliant.
    Last post on this topic. B2B businesses have the choice to quote prices Inc VAT or Ex VAT. Most, if not all, businesses expect prices quoted on B2B sites to be Ex VAT.

When an invoice is produced, there is a separate line item for VAT.

Funnily enough, the only people who seem to have a problem with this, are those on here (or rather 2 people on here in particular) whose services ours are not designed for...

The reason we have a "Contractors" section is because we are open with our charging, and thought it nice to openly disclose our Mark Up.

The large multinational organisations that we engage with, have absolutely no problem in understanding our pricing model.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X