• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Early meetings

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Early meetings"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I had to do that once coz some stuff we'd bought from ARS microsystems had the wrong software with it.

The bastards wouldn't talk to me.
    I had a problem with someone who wanted us to pay up front without seeing their software/hardware in action because they were paranoid about piracy.

We'd already been bitten by a different bunch of sleazes so we wanted a demo first.

Stalemate, so we went elsewhere.

The worst bit about it was the interminable voice menus. This was back when some combination of BT and the US telcos meant that US switchboards didn't understand UK phone tones.

We eventually got a gizmo you could hold to the mouthpiece and tap in US style tones, but it was a faff.

I only phoned the feckers up because ARS microsystems had their heads up their arses.

In the end I had Siliconix Inc buy the stuff & send it over to us.
    We also had the "US credit cards only" run around. A former colleague who had moved to the US helped us out there.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Fat **** with a penchant for champagne?
    Never met them so dunno.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    To me that's lunchtime
    Yes, we know that agents can't tell the time - I'll give you a call this afternoon when I have some news
    Last edited by TheFaQQer; 13 June 2014, 08:14.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    What noddy company can't setup dial in meetings? Do you need to actually be there? I work from home almost every day expect for bit all day meetings once or twice a month.
    Places like where I am. They don't do that sort of thing. Meetings are slow drawn out affairs. Coffee is served. Very old skool.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    FTFY.

I once had to go back into work at 8 or 9 to call someone on the West Coast of the USA.
    Fat **** with a penchant for champagne?

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I think the real question is what would make you inflict so much pain on yourself as to want to travel 3 hours each way? Currently doing 70 mins each way and happy it is finishing after 6 months, Next role will be 40 mins each way and I still feel that's a big long.
    Nah wasn't every day. My normal commute was 2 hours. That particular meeting was a one off, tw*t decided it had to be in an office the wrong side of london to me. I had to take an intercity train into London, tube right across town, and another mainline train out again to get to it. I'd have driven but needed to be in zone1 again afterwards.

Current and last commutes are 1:40 and 1:50 respectively. Harsh but beats staying in hotels.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Ah, the dear dead days beyond recall of early morning conferences with Hong Kong & Taiwan, & late evening conferences with California.

Fortunately I never had to do them.
    FTFY.

I once had to go back into work at 8 or 9 to call someone on the West Coast of the USA.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Clientco ask me to attend an 8:30am meeting tomorrow at a moments notice. ?
    To me that's lunchtime

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I take it you don't work in a bus station toilet? Odd timed meetings are the norm.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What rot.
    I'm not by any means saying you shouldn't have different teams around the world, far from it. I just think teams work better when the members are all in the same location.

Communication issues like silly meeting times, wait for responses over night from different time zones, are the 2 main problems I have with teams split across time zones/continents.

Even in the same country, I've seen issues with "them and us" between different offices.

Of course it can work, but in my experience it can be very difficult.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    The only time I will do early or late meetings is very occasionally when it involves medical or nursing staff who are giving up their time around a clinical workload to contribute to the project.

My current project is a ridiculous journey from home (3 hours each way), but I made it clear before I started that I would only do it for two months, with three days per week on site and that I couldn't arrive before 10:00 or finish after 15:30.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    What rot.
    So you don't see any downside for a project to be split across teams spread over the globe than say one location (albeit with remote workers in the same timezone)?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Another one of the many reasons working with remote teams massively sucks and should be avoided at all costs.
    What rot.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I take it you don't work in a global environment with technology hubs based in India then? Odd timed meetings are the norm.
    yep, but they usually worked closer to our schedule and sub teamed so early/late meetings could be minimised.

Another one of the many reasons working with remote teams massively sucks and should be avoided at all costs.

Works both ways of course, teams should always be in the one location or at least time zone.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Fair point but phone conferences just aren't the same as a real meeting. You spend half the time trying to figure out who is who - unless you know them well - and interrupting each other. If everyone but you is in the office you are kind of excluded.

I'm sure this is a specific skill you can gain, but I find phone meetings - other than 1:1 calls - extremely disjointed.
    its a skill, a good host can glue one together.

I'm not a good host

Leave a comment:

Working...
X