• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Jazz Divas

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jazz Divas"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Gotta be Billy Holiday, though I prefer her Bluesy Numbers.

Billie Holiday - "i´ll be seeing you" - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Saw these in Hamburg, Gartnerstraße, billed as Jazz, bit more easy listening I thought due to having a tune. German band...

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post

However not all Jazz is bad...I really like this

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    A sockie and a master return in this thread.
    inneresting...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    A sockie and a master return in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    azz is atonal
    Rubbish. Jazz has it's roots in the blues. Granted most of the modern stuff is wanky as it's gone down the same "experiment for the sake of it and never mind if the result is aesthetically pleasing" route as modern art, but the good stuff from years ago is anything but atonal.

Nina Simone for me.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    and it's maddy Prior

you double-bimbo

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Jazz is an arrangement

not a type of music

you bimbo

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Linda Lusardi.

Dodgy Agent.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
    Spoken like a true jazz aficionado...

Personally, I like it. Its suave, I like the vocals and I like what they're generally singing about.

I agree with the op. Folkies are always bellyaching in their songs. No wonder most folkies are lefties.
    Yeah right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsQYzpOHpik

Leave a comment:

• Freaki Li Cuatre
    replied
    Po moyemu, Jazz is atonal, and whilst I like a bit of that when it segues into tonal
    Spoken like a true jazz aficionado...

Personally, I like it. Its suave, I like the vocals and I like what they're generally singing about.

I agree with the op. Folkies are always bellyaching in their songs. No wonder most folkies are lefties.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Po moyemu, Jazz is atonal, and whilst I like a bit of that when it segues into tonal, a la The Velvet Underground, 99% of Jazz is atonal garbage, fukn hate it!

Music has structure, chords resolve, D goes with G, F goes with C, jazz doesn't...

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    started a topic Jazz Divas

Jazz Divas

Who's your favourite one?

Maybe you don't like jazz. Its an acquired taste. Like folk music. I was about to say I can't bear folk music but then I just remembered I'm supposed to like Maggie Prior

So I'm back from the pub with Silas curled up on my lap watching the Jazz Divas programme on BBC4.

It's Blossom Dearie for me every time. Followed by Ella and maybe Cleo Line in 3rd place.
    Last edited by Gittins Gal; 23 May 2014, 22:16.

Working...
X