• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Britain's housing inflation threatens the entire economy"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Uh. bingo. In effect HS2 will suck (more) people away from B'ham et al. And suck more money into London. If the govt were honest about HS2 they'd build it the other way round. From Edinburgh to leeds to manchester to b'ham...and then on to London.
    People may commute into London but they will still live in B'ham, London money will move further north in the form of salaries which are used to buy flashy new cars, houses, go out for dinner etc. Obviously some of the money will be spent in London but not as great a proportion.

However moving businesses north would make more sense... although maybe HS2 might persuade more businesses that with London only 90min away they don't need to physically be in London any more?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    why do you dislike Slough?

Slough: clever investment and Crossrail are challenging its reputation | Metro News

honestly compared to Hounslow, Southall and Hayes its a haven.
    My sister works in Slough. If not leaving by car the employees have to leave in pairs to stop being mugged.....

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied

Slough: clever investment and Crossrail are challenging its reputation | Metro News

Slough is 5 min by train to Windsor , which has good pubs and restaurants. There are express trains from Paddington.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

They are all dumps.

Least Hounslow has a good reason for being a dump.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    And Slough please.

Pretty please.

Come friendly bombs etc.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Never attribute to malice that which you can attribute to stupidity. I think mostly they genuinely believe it's going to help until it's too late.
    Indeed, thus I say "blind". I believe the damage has already been done, which is often the issue in gauging this sort of thing. Even if the BoE can do nothing but influence demand through lowering the cost of mortgage debt, it is for this very reason it is a risky policy. There are any number of reasons as to why supply might remain constrained, even if demand rises, as there's things like zoning and planning laws to negotiate, plus a construction industry still burnt from the not too distant recession.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I thought he meant that HS2 extends the zone for commuting to London.

So instead of working locally in Birmingham or Manchester, it would become easier to just live there and commute away to the south east.
    Uh. bingo. In effect HS2 will suck (more) people away from B'ham et al. And suck more money into London. If the govt were honest about HS2 they'd build it the other way round. From Edinburgh to leeds to manchester to b'ham...and then on to London.

Besides - its not as if that 20 minutes (or what ever time is saved) is wasted. people work during that time. And I mainly speak with clients over Skype..heck I had a client for 5 years whom I only spoke with over e-mail. Than convinced him to get Skype two years ago and only just met him in Jan when I was in London anyway.

HS2 is a white elephant. probably obsolete before it even gets started.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    And Slough please.

Pretty please.

Come friendly bombs etc.
    Wernham Hogg deserves it!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    That is another issue, the concentration of housing demand and work in the south east. We need to spread the money.
    How dare you suggest that QE so be targeted at the whole economy instead of the city. Are you a total moron?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    That is another issue, the concentration of housing demand and work in the south east. We need to spread the money.
    That is one of the main issues.

It's daft that to move to the SE you have to swap your four bed detached (if you can sell it) for a 2 bed terrace and still need to mortgage yourself to the hilt.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Whereas what we should be doing is destroy the one we already have
    And Slough please.

Pretty please.

Come friendly bombs etc.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    So in terms of buying a House now, Deal or No Deal ?
    I've been serious thinking about it again, but it comes back to the same issues:

1. The mortgage would be substantially more than the rent.
    2. The places I could afford would be a step backwards from the house I rent.
    3. Do I really want to be financially committed to something for 20 years AND be unable to move to find work (at least not quickly).

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

So instead of working locally in Birmingham or Manchester, it would become easier to just live there and commute away to the south east.
    yes, and a portion of those commuting to London will start businesses, the money coming into the area will create local business to service demand for Organic Veg & meat etc.

The trick is to link to London and allow the money to spread.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    So in terms of buying a House now, Deal or No Deal ?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    extend the commuters, who then relocate as they discover the market / employees is more pleasant up there.

I know of a Pensions adviser that used to commute from the south to town every day, they realised their customers would be quite happy for her business to located out of London, she is doing very well employs a few people and lives in a little village then walks across the fields to work.

I have heard similar stories elsewhere.

Get the right people up there and business will start.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X