• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why open plan offices suck"

Collapse

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    You mean other people.
    Hell is other people

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    It is not open plan offices that are the problem, it is the insufferable cock jockeys that fill them.
    You mean other people.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    GWR

Oh you mean Heart Bristol.
    Still GWR back in 2005

Though the office I worked in was for the network shows, which went to about 45 local stations in the group during the evening and overnight timeslots.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    It is not open plan offices that are the problem, it is the insufferable cock jockeys that fill them.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's science fact that if you look at a large number of people you find productivity drops. But in that large sample size, the majority are probably also distracted talking about what happened in Eastenders last night or what Kim Kardashian has done now. I find external stuff tends to get filtered out when concentrating on something hard and have observed the same in others.

All my permie jobs were in open plan offices and it never really bothered me. Maybe I have better ability to focus. Or maybe you just suck.
    If I can get paid what I get paid for working at home when I feel like it, I must suck, **** and clean up afterwards. Or maybe I just do more cognitively demanding stuff than you. Or maybe you've never actually been in a position to focus properly so you can't appreciate the difference. Either way you are getting into being a tit territory now.

How does background noise affect our concentration? - Scientific American

2nd question down

BACKGROUND OR LOW-LEVEL noise in the home, work or school often disrupts people’s concentration. According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, ambient noise also affects people’s health by increasing general stress levels and aggravating stress-related conditions such as high blood pressure, coronary disease, peptic ulcers and migraine headaches. Continued exposure does not lead to habituation; in fact, the effects worsen.
    I've been in good and bad open plan offices. The good ones (which includes the biggest, openest one oddly enough) were perfectly workable, but in the bad ones (which are the majority) it was next to impossible to work on seriously complex tasks during mainstream office hours. Those tend to be the ones where the majority are distracted by last nights TV, or phone calls or whatever because they can't concentrate on their ******* work. I've also been in bad "normal" offices, i.e. with no aircon in 38 degree heat in the south of France, or with a stack of rack servers going full pelt at 80+dBA in the corner.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    That reminds me of a past clientco with a twat of a team lead who told me to send an email to someone and then preceded to sit behind me and read out loud as I was typing. It took all of my midi-chlorians to stop me from pummeling his scrawny, twisted, lizard face to a reddy, pulpy mess as though it was some abominable, irritating piñata.

Just worked with someone who did that. Major twathead. She also constantly asked me to 'double check' her incoherent emails before sending, to 'make sure they made sense'.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    You should try working in an open plan glorified tin can, stacked on 2 other tin cans in a wind tunnel next to a construction site

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    That's worse. I can't stand people walking behind me, that does stop me getting stuff done. Fortunately at PermieCo I've got a corner suite.
    That reminds me of a past clientco with a twat of a team lead who told me to send an email to someone and then preceded to sit behind me and read out loud as I was typing. It took all of my midi-chlorians to stop me from pummeling his scrawny, twisted, lizard face to a reddy, pulpy mess as though it was some abominable, irritating piñata.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    One poor guy would always end up with a desk with his back to the swing doors from reception, so not only did he hear everyone stomp through the doors and get a draught of air, everyone got to nose at what he was doing when passing through
    That's worse. I can't stand people walking behind me, that does stop me getting stuff done. Fortunately at PermieCo I've got a corner suite.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Drives me fecking mental. Gonna go postal one of these days...

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    My last few places were like battery farms. I was in early enough to sabotage the desks either side of me sufficient to deter folks

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Little distractions are one thing. A constant barrage of high level noise is quite different and many open plan offices are badly laid out so that you have a very noisy department next to one that needs to concentrate.

It's preety much a science fact that noise means distraction means lower performance on intellectually demanding tasks.
    It's science fact that if you look at a large number of people you find productivity drops. But in that large sample size, the majority are probably also distracted talking about what happened in Eastenders last night or what Kim Kardashian has done now. I find external stuff tends to get filtered out when concentrating on something hard and have observed the same in others.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Good post. And quite right. I'm surprised you fed the crap troll though.
    All my permie jobs were in open plan offices and it never really bothered me. Maybe I have better ability to focus. Or maybe you just suck.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I worked in a place in Bristol where they played GWR 96.3FM in the office; and in the corridors; and in the lifts; and even in the bogs

Then again, it was the studios. At least they put Planet Rock on in our office on Fridays
    Previous client had this. Plus, TV's on the walls. The nearest one to me was in the breakout area and was set on ITV or C5 or one of those channels and the sound of Jeremy Kyle competing with the radio just boiled my piss. Fortunately, as an early bird, I was in position to turn the damn thing off and hide the remote.

I don't think i've ever worked anywhere that wasn't open plan though. At the very least 50 people in proximity so unless there is a radio/tv to cause especial annoyance then i'm probably just used to it.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Little distractions are one thing. A constant barrage of high level noise is quite different and many open plan offices are badly laid out so that you have a very noisy department next to one that needs to concentrate.

It's preety much a science fact that noise means distraction means lower performance on intellectually demanding tasks.
    Good post. And quite right. I'm surprised you fed the crap troll though.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What kind of programmer can't get into "the zone" and get some work done despite little distractions?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X