• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Not the best way to start the day"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    [QUOTE=MaryPoppins;1931958][QUOTE=doodab;1931955]
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

Amazing the amount of people who experience whiplash during crashes! Someone claimed that after I'd ploughed into them. I was going at some speed though, so perhaps he had a point.
    It's a UK thing.

In some other countries they have a limit on the speed you can claim it on.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post

I just remembered I did actually make a claim about 12 years ago, I'd actually forgotten about that. All I remember is taking my car to the garage to get it fixed and being astonished at the size of the bill they were picking up for the other guy who did the full whiplash claim bollocks.
    Bollocks whiplash sounds rather serious.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    [QUOTE=doodab;1931955][QUOTE=MaryPoppins;1931954]

I just remembered I did actually make a claim about 12 years ago, I'd actually forgotten about that. All I remember is taking my car to the garage to get it fixed and being astonished at the size of the bill they were picking up for the other guy who did the full whiplash claim bollocks.
    Amazing the amount of people who experience whiplash during crashes! Someone claimed that after I'd ploughed into them. I was going at some speed though, so perhaps he had a point.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied

Hhm. I've never admitted to points, and I've made a fair few claims. I used to crash my car[s] quite often.

Last edited by doodab; 2 May 2014, 19:12.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    [QUOTE=doodab;1931953][QUOTE=MaryPoppins;1931951]
    I've rung them, told them about the speeding points

No idea but the DVLA have a driver check service they could use so they might, and I see no point in not telling them seeing as I've been meaning to do it for a couple of weeks anyway. I am basically honest at heart. No doubt this will get me ****ed over at some point.
    Hhm. I've never admitted to points, and I've made a fair few claims. I used to crash my car[s] quite often.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I've rung them, told them about the speeding points
    Do they actually check this?
    No idea but the DVLA have a driver check service they could use so they might, and I see no point in not telling them seeing as I've been meaning to do it for a couple of weeks anyway. I am basically honest at heart. No doubt this will get me ****ed over at some point.
    Last edited by doodab; 2 May 2014, 18:56.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    [QUOTE=doodab;1931945]I've rung them, told them about the speeding points [QUOTE]

Do they actually check this?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    I'm not sure you need to tell them that you have any damage if you're not interested in claiming on it. Give her your insurance details, ring your insurer up to say you had a collision and that the other driver will be claiming against you and leave it at that.
    I've rung them, told them about the speeding points (I only got the license back a few weeks ago so although the actual date of the offence predates my renewal by a couple of days I didn't know I'd been caught speeding when I renewed, so no problems there), told them about the accident and given them the woman's details. I've also admitted liability and told them I don't wish to claim for damage on my vehicle so touch wood that's the last I'll hear of it until renewal time next year when I'll no doubt get gouged to ****.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Well, she has just emailed me a quote from her local garage, over £750 to fix what is basically a scratched wheelarch so I think that can go through the insurance.

Now I'm a bit naive here as I've never needed to claim on car insurance before. Now how will this pan out with fully comp insurance on a low value car? Are they going to look at the scratch on my bumper that I wouldn't actually bother to fix, get a silly quote for a new bumper, write the car off, end the policy and I'll need to reinsure? Or will they just pay to fix her car and leave me the **** alone?
    I'm not sure you need to tell them that you have any damage if you're not interested in claiming on it. Give her your insurance details, ring your insurer up to say you had a collision and that the other driver will be claiming against you and leave it at that.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Well, she has just emailed me a quote from her local garage, over £750 to fix what is basically a scratched wheelarch so I think that can go through the insurance.

Now I'm a bit naive here as I've never needed to claim on car insurance before. Now how will this pan out with fully comp insurance on a low value car? Are they going to look at the scratch on my bumper that I wouldn't actually bother to fix, get a silly quote for a new bumper, write the car off, end the policy and I'll need to reinsure? Or will they just pay to fix her car and leave me the **** alone?
    Have you seen those shows about Bailiffs? That's what happens if you claim.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I was once driving along a road and someone pulled out in front of me. I slammed on the anchors but could still not avoid hitting them. They claimed I was speeding (I was actually doing 30mph in a 40mph zone as ex-mrsbp1 was very unwell). Insurance company did not care what happened. I had the right of way - that was all that counted.

It cost the other driver's insurance £3k in car repairs(amazing for a crash at <<10mph) and £2k in whiplash my the mrs.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Sounds to me like the reversing car drove into the passing car who was moving around them, expecting them to stop, when they didn't.
    It only sounds like that if you wilfully misinterpret everything said by the OP so as to avoid having to admit you were mistaken in your assessment.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Kill the witnesses

Much safer
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    @doodab

If you have her registration number, check on askMID and you can see the status of her insurance?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X