• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Disclosure Scotland Delays at who's coat?"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by independancerocks View Post
    Yes indeed....and I always have access to sensitive information.

For those interested the Disclosure Scotland completed in a fraction under four weeks so lucky they applied the day after accepting the role!

Over and out.
    So they were OK about the goat?

Leave a comment:

• independancerocks
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    A lot of the time, it depends on the role.

EG Someone who will see/handle production data will require DS while others will not. I got asked for one at Lloyds last gig but not this one and had to do one for NAG while a colleague doing a similar role did not, but through the same agency.
    Yes indeed....and I always have access to sensitive information.

For those interested the Disclosure Scotland completed in a fraction under four weeks so lucky they applied the day after accepting the role!

Over and out.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by independancerocks View Post
    oh yes, some most definitely do; but thanks for your mis-informed certainty. Next thing you'll be telling me is that contracts can't be changed!
    Maybe you just look dodgy, like some kind of operation yewtree suspect.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    So there was no goat-sex charges on the DBS then?
    On the OP's or the goat's?

Leave a comment:

• independancerocks
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Tier one corporates don't ask for DS.
    oh yes, some most definitely do; but thanks for your mis-informed certainty. Next thing you'll be telling me is that contracts can't be changed!

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Worked for 2 on that list and probably about half a dozen other financials in the Scotland and never been asked to produce DS. Public sector gigs only.
    A lot of the time, it depends on the role.

EG Someone who will see/handle production data will require DS while others will not. I got asked for one at Lloyds last gig but not this one and had to do one for NAG while a colleague doing a similar role did not, but through the same agency.

Leave a comment:

• independancerocks
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Surely you follow the following logic:-

PHP Code:
       var working=I am set at desk in clientco;
       if (!
    working){

keep looking.
          if (
    hasAgentThrownSpannerInWorks){

tell agent I'm still looking as spanner needs to be solved.
          }
        } 
    Agree about agent being spanner logic needs to added (as per below post). Other than that I totally agree with this. Unfortunately in this case this code didn't run, hence OP note about pressure due to need for the income.

Nevertheless, time to run the code as the arguments do not change!

Leave a comment:

• independancerocks
    replied
    Originally posted by Mulder View Post
    Fairly standard in Scotland these days, maybe its just the agencies.
    But my contract gigs at RBS, Citi, Barclays, Standard Life (group), & NAG (all Scottish based), I have always had a Disclosure Scotland, as I haven't changed address, during this and have an enhanced one due to my voluntary activities it is a fairly quick process for me.

Again this could be due to the agencies I am using but from asking around seems fairly standard in my experience.
    Last three Telco contracts have all requested DS with no start, until it's complete, although good advice elsewhere here about formally requesting a waiver to start. This would likely depend somewhat on the Business urgency/risk. I.e. if it's not deemed urgent it might be difficult to get the waiver.
    Last edited by independancerocks; 27 April 2014, 13:15.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Mulder View Post
    But my contract gigs at RBS, Citi, Barclays, Standard Life (group), & NAG (all Scottish based), I have always had a Disclosure Scotland, as I haven't changed address, during this and have an enhanced one due to my voluntary activities it is a fairly quick process for me.

Again this could be due to the agencies I am using but from asking around seems fairly standard in my experience.
    Worked for 2 on that list and probably about half a dozen other financials in the Scotland and never been asked to produce DS. Public sector gigs only.

Leave a comment:

• independancerocks
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Similar situation... I told em to fook it in the end as I got so p*ssed off with it and the client ended up giving me a waiver to start
    Indeed. My conclusion is that you one must be prepared to do this ( and therefore use associated language) for them to take it seriously.

Leave a comment:

• Mulder
    replied
    Tier one corporates don't ask for DS.

Leave a comment:

• Mulder
    replied
    Uneven notice periods are due to clients trying to get away with it (you would prefer it if was in your favour) and lazy agents. At same client I've known contractors on uneven & even notice dates. So uneven notices may be standard for the client but aren't the only option, ask your agent to negotiate this.

Start looking for another role, and ask if they can get an exemption so you can start whilst the Disclosure Scotland checks are in progress.

For a large Tier 1 in Glasgow (think bottom of Bath st), I was on site & working whilst some remaining checks were completed, and a friend at the well known Scottish investments company on George st Edinburgh, after advice from me managed to get an exemption to start whilst his Disclosure Scotland was being processed.

So if Disclosure Scotland is the only thing preventing you being on site, then you should be able request to start working whilst that is in progress.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

PHP Code:
       if (!
    working){

keep looking.
          if (

}
        } 
    Not much error checking. Or reality checking. I think you need an IsAgentSpanner var.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

PHP Code:
       if (!
    working){

keep looking.
          if (

}
        } 

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    When my security clearance took an age to come through, I started looking for another contract and told the agent so. They told the client, who really didn't want to start the whole process again, so escalated my approval. (I did some stuff from my side as well, through personal contacts in the organisation).

If you don't like your contract having uneven notice periods, then negotiate for change. Once you've actually been offered the contract, and all the paper work is going through, the agents will, in fact, move heaven and earth to keep you on, so long as you're reasonable. Of course their natural first response is to not want to change, but you have to push and not let them get your goat.
    Similar situation... I told em to fook it in the end as I got so p*ssed off with it and the client ended up giving me a waiver to start

Leave a comment:

Working...
X