• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone know how to order a contract mobile phone?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    As you've not need a company secretary since 6th April 2008 I don't have one.
    This is the crux of it of course - so many of us must still have their spouse as secretary because the company was set up prior to this date.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Does company secretary constitute "an officer of the company"?
    Yes.

If so I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with "I made you the secretary merely because the law required the company had a company secretary, on the basis you would play no part in running the company, so now the company is going to pay for you to have a top-end smartphone".

That's exactly the kind of "this wasn't what the law intended but it's legal until they realise the loophole so let's do it" mentality which all these dodgy tax schemes are based on...
    If you only have a company secretary because there used to be a requirement to have one, then you may as well remove them from their position and notify Companies House of their termination by completing form 288b.

If someone is your Company Secretary but has no part in running the company, then their are either naive or foolish - the company secretary can be criminally liable for defaults by the company (eg. failure to update the registers, failure to complete the company return to Companies House), so if they aren't aware of that, then you probably have bigger company issues to resolve than whether they can have a company phone or not.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

If so I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with "I made you the secretary merely because the law required the company had a company secretary, on the basis you would play no part in running the company, so now the company is going to pay for you to have a top-end smartphone".

That's exactly the kind of "this wasn't what the law intended but it's legal until they realise the loophole so let's do it" mentality which all these dodgy tax schemes are based on...
    As you've not need a company secretary since 6th April 2008 I don't have one.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Is that allowed if she is merely the "token secretary"?
    If she is an officer of the company or director, then yes. If she is an employee of the company, then yes. If she is neither, then no.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The role of senior piemaker is demanding one.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I cannot possibly comment but considering I can't justify buying my own contract via the company I really couldn't justify buying Mrs Eek's contract that way.
    Last edited by eek; 28 April 2014, 12:00.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I guess wifey is also getting a company phone.....

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    WMS... well the sentiment anyway, nothing wrong with having a smartphone but £40/month... ouch.

I must've missed the part why have two £40 contracts?
    I guess wifey is also getting a company phone.....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    2 phones at £40 per month each.
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I can see why you have credit rating issues.

Get a company phone for 50 quid and stick a 8 quid a month sim only card in it.
    WMS... well the sentiment anyway, nothing wrong with having a smartphone but £40/month... ouch.

I must've missed the part why have two £40 contracts?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I can't decide. You can't really go wrong with black as a safe option, but I rather like the striking yellow one.
    I had a black 820 and I ended up disliking the total blackness of it, it was like the monolith from 2001. Maybe it would be different with the lens on the 1020 which has some features.

I got a speck candy shell case for it, I don't get the phone till Monday, I wanted something that would be proud of the lens as people complain that it gets roughed up on tables. Want to try and protect this phone, I constantly drop them.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Yellow. The purple ones give me nightmares.
    I respect that. But I prefer the purple ones.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Yellow or purple minion?
    Yellow. The purple ones give me nightmares.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Shiny shiny new iPhone 5s, resplendent in minion case
    Yellow or purple minion?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Shiny shiny new iPhone 5s, resplendent in minion case

Leave a comment:

Working...