• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Goodman vs. The Hawksmoor"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    I go to this place, its in the carpark of an outlet clothing store, the absolute bollocks: http://bison-foodstore.de/

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    I've been to Gauchos in the city and it really doesn't compare to Hawksmoor. Hawksmoor is head and shoulders above Gaucho in every respect, I will miss going to that restaurant as there doesn't seem to be anything that compares in cloggers .

I would recommend those who are fans of Hawksmoor to get themselves the cookbook, its a great read and they give a good insight into their recipes and some interesting history, it arrived on Thursday and I spent most of Friday reading it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Best I've done for fancy steak is Gordon Ramsay's Maze in Mayfair. I've no idea if that ranks as excellent or just decent in the grand scheme of things, anyone able to compare?

Leave a comment:

• BillHicksRIP
    replied
    Sunday lunch at the Hawksmoor is outstanding.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    And the Hawksmoor do some fabulous cocktails.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravello View Post
    KFC if they're lucky right DA?
    As long as they bring some vouchers with them then my shout for the bargain bucket

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    You wouldn't catch me taking contractors to places like this.
    KFC if they're lucky right DA?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    You wouldn't catch me taking contractors to places like this.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    If we're talking of contractor meals... for a light lunch try Burger & Lobster.

I met people at the one by St Pauls last year. I went for the lobster roll (had heard it recommended) while someone else had the lobster. While the roll was nice, I wish I had gone for the lobster instead.

Actually, I'm not sure if this counts as a contractor meal, since it's only £20 for the lobster with chips and salad.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Proper contractor thread

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I've always found Gaucho's excellent. The one on the river in Richmond is a particularly nice evening out.

I've not tried either of the above though, or Black and Blue, so I can't make a direct comparison.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravello View Post
    Might try Goucho's next - anyone got any experience of that one?
    Yep, been a few times to the Chancery Lane one, and also been to the Piccadilly one. I didn't know where they sat in the pecking order for the foodies on here - thought they weren't mentioned as they were too common nowadays.

I haven't been to Hawksmoor yet, so don't know how they compare, but I've always had a good time at Gaucho.
    Good range of starters, with the S. American focus, so plenty of ceviche, empenadas and cured meats.
    Decent steaks - they'll bring a board around with the different cuts on offer. I like the churrasco de chorizo.
    Wine has been good - I think it's a nice Malbec we often have.

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    started a topic Goodman vs. The Hawksmoor

Goodman vs. The Hawksmoor

For those of you who asked:

Went to Goodman in Mayfair on Saturday, previous visit to The Hawksmoor was the Covent Garden (Seven Dials) location.

Service was good in both places, Goodman probably just edged it with some very friendly bar service post-meal.

Winelists were again pretty comparable, both have a decent selection; Hawksmoor probably has slightly more choice at the lower end of the spectrum, but obviously the panel aren't going to be worried about that...

Food: I was pretty unimpressed with the accompaniments at Goodman - less choice, more expensive and far less tasty than the Hawksmoor equivalents. The main attraction though was incredible; the Goodman steak was the best I've eaten, perfectly cooked, exceedingly tender and bags of flavour.

Overall: Obviously they're both great places to go and get a steak, and if it's only the steak you're interested in then Goodman edges it. Overall though I preferred the meal at Hawksmoor - better starters, better sides and still an awesome steak.

Might try Goucho's next - anyone got any experience of that one?

Working...
X