• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jewish terrorist escapes from prison"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    If the Exodus was an historical event, then it could have happened around 1400BC. (E.g. David Rohl's Egyptian Chronology). Bloomin' Zoroastrians - nicking Hebrew myths for their own religion.

If it was a myth concocted during the Babylonian captivity, then it comes from around 600BC, and so could have been influenced by Zoroastian beliefs. Of course, both could have had roots in earlier origin tales, which may even have a basis is actual events. (That's the trouble with ancient history. The bastards weren't very good at keeping what we consider historical records).

Anyway, the point is that Easter was firmly established as a Christian festival, centred on Passover, long before Constantine stuck his oar in.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The Christian festival currently called Easter is grounded in the Jewish passover. Paul's letters reference Jesus's death and resurrection in letters which are generally considered by historians to originate in around 50-60AD. (So thirty years after Jesus' death, and ~300 years before the Constantine disaster). The whole theology of the death and resurrection of Jesus is centred around the exodus from Egypt (which includes the passover). The bunnies, chocolate and eggs are of course pagan additions/continuations.

I expect come December we'll have someone informing us,wide-eyed and breathless with the revelation, that Christmas is based around the festival of Saturnalia.
    The Zoroastrian year is 3751 (going back to 747BC). New Year is just around Easter time and celebrated by Iran with.... painted eggs

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Also Easter was originally the celebration of Ishtar, before Constantine

Instead of being about the resurrection, it was about fertility and sex.

So really we should be shagging like easter bunnies, not eating chocolate eggs
    The Christian festival currently called Easter is grounded in the Jewish passover. Paul's letters reference Jesus's death and resurrection in letters which are generally considered by historians to originate in around 50-60AD. (So thirty years after Jesus' death, and ~300 years before the Constantine disaster). The whole theology of the death and resurrection of Jesus is centred around the exodus from Egypt (which includes the passover). The bunnies, chocolate and eggs are of course pagan additions/continuations.

I expect come December we'll have someone informing us,wide-eyed and breathless with the revelation, that Christmas is based around the festival of Saturnalia.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Maybe is those foreign parts, but around about here we celebrated Eostre, which involved eggs AND shagging...

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied

No reason we can't do both.

Edit: By 'we' I mean people in general, not you and me

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Why do you feel the need to insult people at the slightest opportunity?

Actually, don't bother answering, I can guess why.
    Actually DS, After I read MB's post I went on an intriguing Wikipedia meander past Constantine, the Council of Nicea and the Arian Heresy.

MB is correct, it simply depends which side of the fence you're standing on...

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied

How can stating that something which is clearly rubbish, is rubbish, be considered an insult?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Wasn't MF talking about Barabbas?

Oh, that was Baracus.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Very good. It was a morgue though, wasn't it?
    Wasn't MF talking about Barabbas?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied

Well he is right, most if not all christian festivals as we now know them were pagan festivals at one time or another, it was an easy way of converting the natives so to speak.

No idea what you're getting your knickers in a twist over.

easter for me, was the worst week of the year, being catholic, you ended up in church more times than I'd want to. These days it's acknowledged as chocolate egg day with the added bonus of extra days off.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Easter was always a pagan festival, blame Constantine for all this Christian rubbish

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Easter was always a pagan festival, blame Constantine for all this Christian rubbish

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Very good. It was a morgue though, wasn't it?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    started a topic Jewish terrorist escapes from prison

Jewish terrorist escapes from prison

Happy Easter everyone.

Working...
X