• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Question for you sharedealing types"

Collapse

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    That's what they're referring to when they say "pump & dump"

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I think make[sic] (puntastic high five) is probably redundant considering he's just consumed 4 Greggs Corned Beef Pasties. But this has now blown my original theory out the window.
    We welcome feedback.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Sort out your sig. It's very clientCo unfriendly.
    Suity will be round shortly to hold a stakeholder requirements workshop.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    It's not clear from the info we have that slim suity was following a healthier diet. It's entirely possible he was make himself vomit behind the bins round the back of Gregg's.
    Sort out your sig. It's very clientCo unfriendly.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Really? A hedge invests a million in Apple you expect the share price to move significantly?
    The amounts being invested weren't part of the original post though. Buying half a company will tend to trigger share price moves for reaaons other than pure supply and demand e.g. takeover speculation.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    It's not clear from the info we have that slim suity was following a healthier diet. It's entirely possible he was make himself vomit behind the bins round the back of Gregg's.
    I think make[sic] (puntastic high five) is probably redundant considering he's just consumed 4 Greggs Corned Beef Pasties. But this has now blown my original theory out the window.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Both good points. However, Slim Suity used to buy a 6" turkey sub and a bottle of water from Subways at a cost of £4.50 but since going off the rails is now procuring 4 corned beef pasties and a can of Tango from Greggs for a total of £3. The wardrobe is a red herring since he only wears elasticated tracksuit bottoms from JD Sports.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Let me try.

Slim Suity goes contracting and earns £9 per hour, with all his new money he goes off the rails and starts to eat all the pies. Now Fat Suity he still earns £9 per hour but now has to buy a new wardrobe and cannot get on his bike because the wheels have buckled.

I hope I've answered your question.
    This is a very useful analogy. It is also important to consider the impact on share prices at Gregg's and Fat and Fabulous menswear.
    Both good points. However, Slim Suity used to buy a 6" turkey sub and a bottle of water from Subways at a cost of £4.50 but since going off the rails is now procuring 4 corned beef pasties and a can of Tango from Greggs for a total of £3. The wardrobe is a red herring since he only wears elasticated tracksuit bottoms from JD Sports.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    And don't forget the bid-offer spread. You may be able to buy at 6p but the bid price will be lower and so you will only be able to sell them at a lower price than what you paid for them.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Let me try.

Slim Suity goes contracting and earns £9 per hour, with all his new money he goes off the rails and starts to eat all the pies. Now Fat Suity he still earns £9 per hour but now has to buy a new wardrobe and cannot get on his bike because the wheels have buckled.

This is a very useful analogy. It is also important to consider the impact on share prices at Gregg's and Fat and Fabulous menswear.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Only if they can sell 300k in one go. What usually happens is other people jump in when the price is rising pushing the price up further before the sell. They are the ones who get stung by the pump-and-dump.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I think you're missing the point of my question.

@4p HF buys 100,000. Costs 4K.
    @5p HF buys 100,000. Costs 5K.
    @6p HF buys 100,000. Costs 6K.

Total spend 15K.

HF now sells 300,000 at 6p. Total back = 18K.

Now, if these jumps in sp were soley due to the buys from the HF, did they just make 3K out of thin air?
    They wouldn't be able to sell them all at 6p. Just as starting to buy would trigger a price increase, starting to sell would trigger a price decrease. Supply and demand.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Lets say the hedge fund buys 300,000 shares

The first 100,000 he picks up for 4p, and then the market is begining to notice there is a demand so sellers stick the price up, he then picks up the next 100,000 for 5p,price goes up again and he then picks up last 100,000 for 6p.

When he sells it goes in the opposite direction.

Therefore profit=0.
    I think you're missing the point of my question.

@4p HF buys 100,000. Costs 4K.
    @5p HF buys 100,000. Costs 5K.
    @6p HF buys 100,000. Costs 6K.

Total spend 15K.

HF now sells 300,000 at 6p. Total back = 18K.

Now, if these jumps in sp were soley due to the buys from the HF, did they just make 3K out of thin air?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Lets say the hedge fund buys 300,000 shares

The first 100,000 he picks up for 4p, and then the market is begining to notice there is a demand so sellers stick the price up, he then picks up the next 100,000 for 5p,price goes up again and he then picks up last 100,000 for 6p.

When he sells it goes in the opposite direction.

Therefore profit=0.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 April 2014, 08:10.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    It depends what they paid. I don't see what it has to do with the size of the company.
    Let me try.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X