• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Psychopaths

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Psychopaths"

Collapse

• BionicTeddyBear
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Only 8? You must have worked with lots of psychopaths (relatively speaking), unless your entire career to date has comprised helping poor people in India with a little old lady called Theresa.
    I'm sure that I have worked with lots of psychopaths (people scoring higher than 30) but that was the first time that I found myself in the cross hairs of one.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Indeed. I am noted for my ordinariness. People often remark on how ordinary I am. Some even say that such a degree of ordinariness is extraordinary.

The psychiatrist is out.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Psychopathy is a term made up by ordinary people who don't understand extraordinary people. ...
    and your .sig was made up by an ordinary person who doesn't understand reading CUK inconspicuously at clientco!

Can't you change it?

I un-ignored you yesterday because I couldn't recall why I had. But seeing your .sig, now I remember

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BionicTeddyBear View Post
    I recently worked with a psychopath. They aren't easy to deal with I tell you. They'll either try to manipulate you and if that doesn't work victimize you. Kinda got my own back on him before I left though.

Oh and I scored 8.
    Only 8? You must have worked with lots of psychopaths (relatively speaking), unless your entire career to date has comprised helping poor people in India with a little old lady called Theresa.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    You're just demonstrating your ordinariness.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Psychopathy is a term made up by ordinary people who don't understand extraordinary people.
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder Symptoms | Psych Central

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Psychopathy is a term made up by ordinary people who don't understand extraordinary people.
    In your dreams perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BionicTeddyBear
    replied
    I recently worked with a psychopath. They aren't easy to deal with I tell you. They'll either try to manipulate you and if that doesn't work victimize you. Kinda got my own back on him before I left though.

Oh and I scored 8.

Leave a comment:

• GreyWolf
    replied
    Surely any psychopath worth his salt would know what the "right" answers are? It's the ones with the suspiciously low scores you need to look out for.

I got 12, a reassuringly low but not too low score.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    again?

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Want to borrow a nice cup of fava beans?

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Which is why the psychiatric profession tends to talk in terms of personality disorder 'clusters' rather than black and white diagnoses. Either way, they are untreatable and they are mean. Steer clear.
    Yes, the quoted bit does sound consistent with other stuff I've heard (through podcasts) on the topic in my own amateurish ventures into it. Regarding the untreatable bit, I believe it's to do with the 'wiring' of the synapses, i.e. epigenetic factors. Once your brain is 'wired' a particular way it is very difficult to 'rewire' it. Authoritarian or neglectful parenting probably have a big part in it, and especially the absence of a father figure. The incidence of psychopaths in the population is supposedly something like 2% (and we can hazard a guess as to which profession they flock to, for the more charismatic ones), but they're useful in some proportions, e.g. it's a useful trait for a surgeon not to be overly empathetic, lest they develop a distaste for inflicting necessary pain.

I think you will probably get a number of people who are genetically predisposed towards it, and then other people who are less so but through bad environmental factors show a predilection to low empathy. It's useful to identify who they are, to steer away. I reckon you can tell from some people merely by looking at their eyes (glassy eyed), but obviously with the ones with a higher level of charisma and social functioning, it's more a matter of waiting for them to slip up in pretending to care about others or supposedly cherished ideals or goals. They tend to blow up when they don't get their way.
    Last edited by Zero Liability; 8 April 2014, 21:31.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    17. I may change my signature.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X