• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Giving blood

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Giving blood"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You really shouldn't talk about yourself like that.
    He is talking himself up...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Twunt positive
    You really shouldn't talk about yourself like that.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I don't even know what blood type I am.
    If you give blood they will tell you.

Also depending how near the lower end of the boundary you are the first time you give it you have a lovely light headed feeling.

I gave first time as a student and then had a pint.

I then gave the second time and felt normal.

However convinced a whole load of other people about the cheap thrill so they gave for the first time.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Twunt positive

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I have absolutly no fear of needles being jabbed in my arm - as over the years I've had loads of them, so I am a perfect candidate to give blood, 'cept they dont want it

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It was an April fools anyway. No fooker is getting my amber nectar.
    Um, that's not blood.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I assumed you were giving in the states for the money. Anything to fund the walter mitty lifestyle.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    They wouldn't have it with your jetsetting lifestyle anyway.
    London Zoo wanted it. Tiger enclosure.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    They wouldn't have it with your jetsetting lifestyle anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    <collective sigh of relief>

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Giving blood is always a good thing and takes so little time up, particularly if you can find one of the mobile units that land somewhere near work.
    It is, but has become a right PITA round here. I always used to just rock up, prepared to wait, and give my armful.

Last time they phoned me to make an appointment. OK, I thought, I'll give it a go. So having phoned me, they then tell me there are no appointments. No worries, says I, I'll just turn up, so I did.

"I'm sorry, we're full"
    "I don't mind waiting"
    "We're full -you can't give blood today - would you like to make an appointment for next time?"
    "Oh, OK"
    "Sorry - next time is fully booked, how about the time after?"

We're now 3 months away and I haven't got a clue what I'm doing.

Given that they email me almost weekly to tell me how low stocks are, and constantly phone, you'd think they'd manage to accommodate you when you do turn up.

I've been giving blood for nearly 30 years, never had this much hassle.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Giving blood is always a good thing and takes so little time up, particularly if you can find one of the mobile units that land somewhere near work.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Just like to say the suppose experience of the person is no relation to how good they are in getting blood out of your vein.

I ended up with a trainee once who was proud to tell me I was her first patient. I burst out laughing while the person who was monitoring her was horrified.

She did a very good job. I had no pain and no excess bleeding once she took the needle out.

The next time I went I got some guy who had a badge saying he was the senior nurse. He missed my vein, dug around for a few minutes to get the needle in and hurt me. After the needle came out I bleed for a bit and had a bruise.

I have very good veins and he was the first person who ever missed them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X