• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Is BBC racist?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is BBC racist?"

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Don't watch it then.
    Not saying it is bad - it is much better than most the tulip you get on the box

Just saying it is not as good/fresh as it used to be.

That is all

And no - you cannot get a reference!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Is that german for slope?
    No it's a German word that describes you to a tee.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Ah bless, it's our favourite dumbkopf.
    Is that german for slope?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    You would
    Ah bless, it's our favourite dumbkopf.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I actually agree with this - after catching a few of the early episodes on Dave the show is just better, the guests are better and the presenters look interested.

in the last 2 series at least all the presenters look jaded and bored - almost as if they realise themselves that the formula is old and no ones has any new ideas...
    Don't watch it then.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I reckon there's a market for a more straightforward motoring program where cars that normal people buy are reviewed and tested - I liked Fifth Gear.
    You would

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I reckon there's a market for a more straightforward motoring program where cars that normal people buy are reviewed and tested - I liked Fifth Gear.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    It's an Americanism, and was probably aimed at the red-neck US market for Top Gear.
    Unacceptable in the 21st century, not to mention showing exceptional stupidity and crassness.
    As Pondy mentioned, Clarkson is becoming a parody and Top Gear is looking very tired nowadays - can anyone really bear to watch another deadly boring "star in a reasonably priced car"?
    I actually agree with this - after catching a few of the early episodes on Dave the show is just better, the guests are better and the presenters look interested.

in the last 2 series at least all the presenters look jaded and bored - almost as if they realise themselves that the formula is old and no ones has any new ideas...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I'd never heard the term 'slope' to describe people of some particular background.
    It's an Americanism, and was probably aimed at the red-neck US market for Top Gear.
    Unacceptable in the 21st century, not to mention showing exceptional stupidity and crassness.
    As Pondy mentioned, Clarkson is becoming a parody and Top Gear is looking very tired nowadays - can anyone really bear to watch another deadly boring "star in a reasonably priced car"?
    Last edited by sasguru; 31 March 2014, 08:39.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I'd never heard the term 'slope' to describe people of some particular background.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    not sure if I can see a slope or a chink on that bridge.

If I looked through slitted eyes, I can see two fat pommies ...
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    not sure if I can see a slope or a chink on that bridge.

Can see two fat pommies though...

ooooooooooohhhhh

oh hang it's ok thats not racist cos they are English

fookin bunch of tree hugging hippy crap

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

I remember one of my Chinese relatives telling me about the time he was in L.A. and he overheard these big black guys saying they were going to shoot some chinky.

Turned out to mean "play basketball".
    Did he find out by asking them? That was brave!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Not sure I follow that one MS. Are you saying we somehow have empire ingrained in our psyche? Pretty sure I don't.
    I'm afraid if you're British, you'll find you do. It becomes more obvious when you live abroad. Apparently the Swiss don't know how to deal with the British, because we had an empire and don't feel ashamed and lost it and don't feel embarrassed. There's a strong thread of anti-imperialism in the teaching of history in Swiss schools. Many Swiss are entirely unaware of the positive effect that the British empire enabled in many areas - they honestly believe it was all bad.

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    It's not a racist remark it was a jibe at Political Correctness, like all his remarks.

Personally I didn't see a slope but I do see a chink.....a chink of light between the two halves of the bridge.
    I remember one of my Chinese relatives telling me about the time he was in L.A. and he overheard these big black guys saying they were going to shoot some chinky.

Turned out to mean "play basketball".

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    An term, which by use/misuse has become derogatory is racist. I don't understand how you think paki isn't racist.
    No, it's not racist - it's a derogatory remark (if used with that intent). Racism is the belief that people of a particular race are superior/inferior/whatever by virtue of nothing more than their race (and in this context we're really using the word 'race' to delineate a particular genetic heritage).

Saying 'I hate Pakis' is NOT racist, although it's a very sweeping generalisation.
    Saying 'Brown people are stupid' is.

You might argue that the word racist has come to mean something different in common parlance recently, but used in that way 'racist' is just a synonym for lots of other words which are much more tolerable. The idea that it's worse to hold those views when the subject is someone with different colour skin is entirely arbitrary (It's fine to say 'i don't like chavs', but not to say 'i don't like pakistanis' ?), and i think generally we've got the self-loathing busy-bodies to thank for that corruption.

And shortening Pakistani to Paki is not derogatory. The derogatory intent would only be discernible form the tone in which the word was spoken - otherwise the have a very long and well established history or non-derogatory short names such as Brit, Aussie, Pol(e)?, Scot, etc etc.

Sand-****** is derogatory by definition. There's a difference.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X