• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Chiropractor - emg scan results"

Collapse

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Why wouldn't you visit an osteopath rather than a chiro.

Osteos are recognised by the medical community at least (if that's some measure of the authenticity of the practice)
    Doesn't d000hg's post show they are both recognised? Although I am not sure what the exact difference is between them tbh.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Why wouldn't you visit an osteopath rather than a chiro.

Osteos are recognised by the medical community at least (if that's some measure of the authenticity of the practice)

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    They can probably fix some back conditions but they aren't very medical at all as far as I can tell, the proper chiropractic bumpf contains some very dubious stuff and they basically reckon they can cure anything by manipulating the spine and skeleton.

As regards the degrees, there are three "institutes" or "colleges" of chiropractic awarding them, those are listed here:

Bodies Awarding Chiropractic Degrees | Undergraduate Education | Education | Website | GCC

These degrees are recognised by the "general chiropractic council" which is the regulatory body for chiropractors but they don't appear to be recognized degree awarding bodies as defined here, though they might be associated with them otherwise it's hard to imagine they could get away with claiming to offer undergraduate degrees:

The Education (Recognised Bodies) (England) Order 2013

It all seems a bit made up to me.
    Last edited by doodab; 28 March 2014, 15:26.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Choosing a complementary therapy practitioner - Live Well - NHS Choices

Currently, practitioners of two complementary and alternative medicines are regulated in the same way as practitioners of conventional medicine. These are osteopathy and chiropractic. This regulation is called statutory professional regulation.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Whatever they are doing, they aren't studying to be recognised medical professionals. They aren't doctors any more than homeopaths are.
    Being as it takes a couple of weeks to become a homeopath and a several years to become a chiropractor I would guess there is a little more to it.

I went to the doctor with severe lower back pain and she gave me some pain killers. I went to the chiropractor and he diagnosed and fixed a strained psoas (sp?), I entered with a severe limp, left with a milder one and was fine within a day or two.

See above for how my chiropractor diagnosed and fixed up my elbow when a doctor just told me to stop fighting until it got better or have bone injections.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Are you sure? My chiropractor seems to know what he is talking about.
    Also isn't it a 4 year degree course? If there is not much science, what on earth are they doing for 4 years???
    Whatever they are doing, they aren't studying to be recognised medical professionals. They aren't doctors any more than homeopaths are.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    I went to a chiropractor yesterday (gf chefs suggestion) due to a bad back from lugging furniture around the house last weekend and wrongly assuming the pain would go away after a few days.

I've never been to one before and the first step was a general physical exam followed by an EMG scan.

As the doctor scanned each vertebrae, the results colours showed up and by the time he finished the results were mostly red (80%), 10% black and the rest blue.

Not good, from what the doc says. My questions are, and I know I should have asked the doctor this:
    - what exactly does an emg scan check?
    - getting a bad score (i.e mostly black and red) for the results signifies what?
    - how "medical" is a chiropractor in your opinion? by that I mean is a chiropractor like a herbal heeler or a true medical doctor.

There is a follow meeting next week to go through the results but I thought I would ask the crowd on here first.
    Make up your own mind, but for a back problem, I would be seeing a good physio first, and then a doctor if recommended or if no progress.

Chiropractic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    There's not a lot of science in chiropractic.
    Are you sure? My chiropractor seems to know what he is talking about.
    Also isn't it a 4 year degree course? If there is not much science, what on earth are they doing for 4 years???

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Have you considered visiting a real doctor? Seriously, if you've got back problems, GP first, hospital referral if necessary, followed by physio/surgery/whatever is necessary.

There's not a lot of science in chiropractic.

Edit to say: obviously I'm no doctor but from the sounds of things you've probably just strained a muscle in your back and even relatively minor back injuries like this can take weeks to heal. I wouldn't read much into it being sore after a few days. If you're really worried, seriously, go and see a GP. You'll be examined and probably be told to apply heat/ice and take anti-inflammatories and come back if its still sore after a month.
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 28 March 2014, 13:57.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I have been going to a chiro regularly for several years and have never had that sort of thing done. That does not mean it is not valid, just that I cannot offer an opinion on it.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    The scam is to extract extrs money from your wallet. I have been going to Chiropractors for 25 years and none have ever suggested a scan or Xray. Manipulate my spine but not my purse...
    the Chiropractor consultation was actaully free as I have been having massages from the same place for a while, any future chiropractor appointments are 25 pounds for 45 minutes "treatment"

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    the scan they did was this

Electromyography (EMG) is a technique for evaluating and recording the electrical activity produced by skeletal muscles.[1] EMG is performed using an instrument called an electromyograph, to produce a record called an electromyogram. An electromyograph detects the electrical potential generated by muscle cells[2] when these cells are electrically or neurologically activated. The signals can be analyzed to detect medical abnormalities, activation level, or recruitment order or to analyze the biomechanics of human or animal movement.
    and the scan results looked at lot like this

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Apparently it can vary but in my experience a good chiropractor is far better than a GP for certain things.

They are probably up there with top level physios, they cannot help with everything but some things they can help more than traditional doctors.

I had tennis and golfer's elbow in the same elbow at the same time without playing tennis or golf and my doctor was talking about injections into the bone etc. I went to a chiropractor who fixed it without me needing to stop training and then reverse engineered the problems that lead to it and fixed them too. He then got me to show him things I was doing in training and worked out what I had done which caused the injury and showed me how to adapt my technique to avoid doing it again.

I have been going to him for years, he is awesome!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If they are doing a random made up coloured scan they are a charlatan.

They aren't like a medical doctor though there is a professional body they can join.

Good ones recognise their limits.

I know and have known people with arthritic diseases who were told to go back to their GPs and demand referrals because the chiropractor told them their bones and joints had something seriously wrong. They also refused to touch them.

They are recognised by some NHS areas due to the number of people with back problems. I personally have been treated privately by a physio who was also a chiropractor but not for a bad back. Don't know if it made a difference to my treatment.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    The scam is to extract extrs money from your wallet. I have been going to Chiropractors for 25 years and none have ever suggested a scan or Xray. Manipulate my spine but not my purse...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X