• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Family cars....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Family cars...."

Collapse

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I don't tend to read your boomed threads to be honest.. and in the agent you stated 'This one time I' which sounds more like you just recounting an old story.

And reading your boomed thread I wasn't the only one confused about the situation.
    Sure. Anyway is it all clear now? I have stayed at current gig as rate is too good even after taking into account the mileage involved..... Getting the new, more comfy car also means I am more likely to look for Leeds gigs (though I just wish they would build that damn tunnel).

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Did you not read my boomed thread? Guys at current clientco increased rate and contract duration. I had to turn down that offer (didn't really like the place in town much anyway). I am happy I did as the commute is a pleasure in the new car. Happy to do it for the next 3 months (and beyond I really hope!)

Also read the peed off agent thread! You replied in it for God's sake!
    I don't tend to read your boomed threads to be honest.. and in the agent you stated 'This one time I' which sounds more like you just recounting an old story.

And reading your boomed thread I wasn't the only one confused about the situation.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 4 April 2014, 14:05.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Hang on... I thought you got a gig in the city so wouldn't be doing that kinda mileage now?
    Did you not read my boomed thread? Guys at current clientco increased rate and contract duration. I had to turn down that offer (didn't really like the place in town much anyway). I am happy I did as the commute is a pleasure in the new car. Happy to do it for the next 3 months (and beyond I really hope!)

You two should get a room. The man luuurve is obvious.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Hang on... I thought you got a gig in the city so wouldn't be doing that kinda mileage now?

Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 4 April 2014, 13:57.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Ultimately I realised that it was the cost per mile and relative value that mattered, even when earning > £400/day you don't want to be paying close to £1/mile for running a BMW. doing 120 miles a day in an already depreciated Golf made the most financial sense, I am just surprised by how good a car it is compared to my old one. Now when we come to buy a 4x4 it can be used by Mrs and won't cost much to run, especially if like suggested it is a Qashqai or the like.......

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Well I know a guy who spent 7 years contracting at Nato in Brussels and is semi-retired at 40, thanks to the proceeds. I don't think the EU piss money away quite so easily as Nato though.
    I know people at ESA who did the pretty much similar and they weren't even contractors although some of the contractors back in the 80's made a fortune...I didn't due to coming in at the tail end of the glory years

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Well I know a guy who spent 7 years contracting at Nato in Brussels and is semi-retired at 40, thanks to the proceeds. I don't think the EU piss money away quite so easily as Nato though.
    Putin pays more for info from NATO HQ than EU HQ...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I know, its a bastard isn't it? I think I'll work on getting my next contract for the EU and then I can upgrade to something swanky

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    New car fitting your requirements should be on the market shortly, just might need to get a MOT...

Student fined after being caught driving car without any doors, lights or bonnet - Telegraph

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Profiteering Europhile!
    I know, its a bastard isn't it? I think I'll work on getting my next contract for the EU and then I can upgrade to something swanky

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I actually ordered a new car around 10 days ago (mentioned it in a thread somewhere) but the dealer rang back last week to tell me that it wouldn't be ready until February-May next year which pretty much put a dent in that. However he's given me 2 offers on my backups so debating on which one to get:

- BMW 435i Cabrio (mid-life crisis car) which I quite like in particular the fact that they have a metal roof and what with global warming I'll have more chance to drive with it down
    - BMW M3 Limousine (the 4 door one) which is basically just BMW's version of what I was going to get.

So...fun and games to start

(There was a 3rd and 4th choice but I've kind of knocked them on the head, the BMW M235i and the Mercedes CLA45 AMG.)
    Profiteering Europhile!

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    I actually ordered a new car around 10 days ago (mentioned it in a thread somewhere) but the dealer rang back last week to tell me that it wouldn't be ready until February-May next year which pretty much put a dent in that. However he's given me 2 offers on my backups so debating on which one to get:

- BMW 435i Cabrio (mid-life crisis car) which I quite like in particular the fact that they have a metal roof and what with global warming I'll have more chance to drive with it down
    - BMW M3 Limousine (the 4 door one) which is basically just BMW's version of what I was going to get.

(There was a 3rd and 4th choice but I've kind of knocked them on the head, the BMW M235i and the Mercedes CLA45 AMG.)
    For those of us on rates > £1000/day

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    My personal advice with regards to cars and depreciation....

- The less you pay the less you lose. All cars depreciate at an unacceptable rate. Every single one.
    - Millage vs. age vs. reliability. If its cheap enough it's probably worth it.
    - The cheapest cars can be the most reliable. The more expensive cars have more toys that break.

If you really want a Q7 or X5 ... go and buy it, enjoy it, but be prepared to pay out double/triple for everything.

If reliability was my only criteria, I'd buy a Honda every time.
    Honda pretty much dominate the reliability stats (new cars or old) anywhere they're sold and have done for years.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    My personal advice with regards to cars and depreciation....

- The less you pay the less you lose. All cars depreciate at an unacceptable rate. Every single one.
    - Millage vs. age vs. reliability. If its cheap enough it's probably worth it.
    - The cheapest cars can be the most reliable. The more expensive cars have more toys that break.

If you really want a Q7 or X5 ... go and buy it, enjoy it, but be prepared to pay out double/triple for everything.
    Erm...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X