• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "GP service, lazy bastards"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Perhaps they managed to make their health service more efficient
    I think they currently spend less than us and have better life expectancy, so it looks like they did.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    It's popularly attributed to the "Mediterranean diet"

That of course is something else that's often overlooked. There is a lot more to public health than simply treating people once they are ill. Prevention is better than cure and all that.
    well from what I've read, Italy modelled it's health service on the NHS but invested a whole load more cash in it. It's only recently that we have caught up. Perhaps they managed to make their health service more efficient

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Anyway ignore Germany, Italy are way ahead of us, could it be because their health service brings all the boys to yard, damn right its better than yours. *cant stop singing this.
    It's popularly attributed to the "Mediterranean diet"

That of course is something else that's often overlooked. There is a lot more to public health than simply treating people once they are ill. Prevention is better than cure and all that.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Anyway ignore Germany, Italy are way ahead of us, could it be because their health service brings all the boys to yard, damn right its better than yours. *cant stop singing this.
    Or because they value a healthy lifestyle.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I'm working.
    Aaaaway.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Compare your country by OECD

You might need to dial the countries in yourself.
    well that was interesting, I've now read several sources that report different information.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I didn't say it did, I was pointing out the flaw in your argument. You said the NHS couldn't be considered efficient if its goal was keeping people healthy, but in general people are healthy and live longer than they used to.
    Let's be clear. The primary business of the NHS is not to make people healthy.

People in the UK go to hospital to die.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    You're awfully quiet since ma post about how you work longer hours for your extra life.
    I'm working.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    For the (non-ultrasound) scans I have had as an inpatient I've usually gone to the A&E machines which are free and running 24x7. The outpatient scanning departments tend to be 9-5 monday-friday operations.

I think a bigger problem might be actually finding the staff, rather than what they cost. Every ward I've been on has had several nurses and healthcare assistants from the "staff bank" working extra shifts cos they just don't have the people full time.

You're awfully quiet since ma post about how you work longer hours for your extra life.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Just because our life expectancy increases does not mean the NHS/GP service is efficient.
    I didn't say it did, I was pointing out the flaw in your argument. You said the NHS couldn't be considered efficient if its goal was keeping people healthy, but in general people are healthy and live longer than they used to.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    well I suspect there is plenty of slack with the machines, I have never been invited in the evenings or weekends. Staffing costs I suspect are actually a very small part of the overall.
    For the (non-ultrasound) scans I have had as an inpatient I've usually gone to the A&E machines which are free and running 24x7. The outpatient scanning departments tend to be 9-5 monday-friday operations.

I think a bigger problem might be actually finding the staff, rather than what they cost. Every ward I've been on has had several nurses and healthcare assistants from the "staff bank" working extra shifts cos they just don't have the people full time.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    A link would be good. I looked at life expectancy on wiki which had a number of sources and UK was behind Germany. The link on the OECD shows that we are behind Germany.
    Compare your country by OECD

You might need to dial the countries in yourself.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    But isn't it a bit like programming, in that if you have to fix a bug in something you've just been working on it's a lot easier than fixing a bug in something you did 6 months ago? If patients are in the system for a year because of the delays, doctors must have 100s of patients on the go. It would be much more efficient if doctors were able to focus on a much smaller number of patients,as each one would be sorted out in a couple weeks.
    I don't know how much that is true. Certainly initial referrals and diagnoses and starting of treatment could be done quicker in a lot of cases but once you're in the system looking at it more often generally won't make it get better any faster. Many health conditions require long term follow-up care, or like mine are simply a case of managing the symptoms until the patient finally keels over, and operations need a certain amount of recovery time and so on.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied

According to the OECD the UK has a longer life expectancy than Germany both overall and for men, but lower for women, and Germany spends more per patient per year and more as a %age of GDP to boot.

You have a funny idea of what efficient means.
    A link would be good. I looked at life expectancy on wiki which had a number of sources and UK was behind Germany. The link on the OECD shows that we are behind Germany.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Or just pay for healthcare. I wonder if I should have offered cash when I was first referred.
    That is the correct answer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X