• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Conspiracy to make contractors work away from home?"

Collapse

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Is that even real?
    Yes.

Man protests airport security by stripping down to birthday suit | Local & Regional News | Eugene News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KVAL CBS 13

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I can understand that, but let me put the alternative to you; I live about 2.5 hours drive from clientco and I've spent almost ten years staying in hotels close to clients for the sake of doing interesting work, and that's exactly the case in my current gig. I would rather stay away from home or travel a long way to do interesting work than get bored in some bank or local council close to home, and that demonstrates my commitment to getting the job done. If I'm prepared to travel and stay away from home it's because I want to do the project and therefore have a real commitment to the role.
    What is this 'interesting work' of which you spake ??? I am jealous as I am finding all work related activity to be mind-numbingly tedious, I need a change of direction....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Is that even real?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I and my client manager did some interviews recently for another contractor, and for some reason we found ourselves drawn towards choosing candidates who were local. Not quite sure why, but I think we thought that local candidates would take us more seriously, have a better commitment to the role, and be less likely to leave at a moment's notice.
    I can understand that, but let me put the alternative to you; I live about 2.5 hours drive from clientco and I've spent almost ten years staying in hotels close to clients for the sake of doing interesting work, and that's exactly the case in my current gig. I would rather stay away from home or travel a long way to do interesting work than get bored in some bank or local council close to home, and that demonstrates my commitment to getting the job done. If I'm prepared to travel and stay away from home it's because I want to do the project and therefore have a real commitment to the role.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    PermieCo have a few contractors, and they all live miles away and stay over for the week. It's one of the reasons I wasn't unhappy to give it up: the contracts I was finding would have required the same, and to be honest I couldn't be arsed, whereas a permie job with an easy commute seemed a better option considering quality of life and all. But obviously it depends what's most important to you.

And yes it is a conspiracy. We permies sit around making schemes about only hiring contractors for the other end of the country.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I agreed that clients prefer local contractors.

Think about it. They can potentially get away with a lower rate because contractor aint moaning about travel costs and also less risk of contractor getting sick of the travelling and bailing for a gig closer to home.

Also, I'd say someone further from home but who commutes is likely to work less hours maybe. For instance, if I'm 15 mins from home, then its not a biggie to work late. If I've got a 90min train journey home then I dont really want to miss my train and be home even later.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It's for security reasons.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The main issues with BAA airports is the stupid extended check-in times you have to meet and their deliberate policy of not employing enough security staff.
    It's for security reasons.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The contractor market is generally cr*p that's why you have to travel to far flung places. I've given up contracting because it isn't worth it anymore. Sure you can get a contract, but do you want to spend 10-15 hours travelling every week..
    I do that in London anyhow. Travelling from one side of London to another can easily take an hour.

I've actually calculated that some of my distant contracts have involved less weekly travel time as I'm 5 minutes from the client site.

The main issues with BAA airports is the stupid extended check-in times you have to meet and their deliberate policy of not employing enough security staff.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    On my current contract the agency told me to specifically mention how close to the office I live, as apparently the client would prefer someone local. That might be an issue for this client only though, as their permie staff are a nightmare with any sort of travel, taking a day before and after having to travel for a half day meeting at another site.
    Last gig was up and down to Edinburgh every week from north Hampshire, normally I expect up to a couple of hours each way to get into London.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    I and my client manager did some interviews recently for another contractor, and for some reason we found ourselves drawn towards choosing candidates who were local. Not quite sure why, but I think we thought that local candidates would take us more seriously, have a better commitment to the role, and be less likely to leave at a moment's notice.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The contractor market is generally cr*p that's why you have to travel to far flung places. I've given up contracting because it isn't worth it anymore. Sure you can get a contract, but do you want to spend 10-15 hours travelling every week.

No Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• MojoDog
    replied
    Originally posted by KenWhite View Post
    I notice from a number of the discussions that many contractors are working away from their homes, staying away during the week and travelling home at weekends. If you listen to the traffic news on Friday afternoons you'll see part of the consequences of that. Most of the recent contracts I've been contacted about recently are in the North of England, Europe or Ireland. Of course, I live in the South-East.
    This leads me to think that companies want their contractors to be detached from their families during the week so that they've nothing else to do so they might as well do some extra hours at work for nothing?
    A bit sceptical, maybe?
    I live north of Bristol and flew to Edinburgh for an interview with a bank. It came down to me and another bloke who lived in Edinburgh. I was told that we were identical in skills and experience but that he got the job because the bank didn't want the potential hassle of me not making it in on a Monday due to travel disruptions.

Tulip Happens.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    I wish there were more contracts up North. They do seem to be multiplying, though.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    If the rate's right I don't care where they want me to be.
    I think I saw a film about that...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X