• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Why ?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why ?"

Collapse

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Better film as well.

My kids have always been into reading. Youngest is currently reading the Silmarillion in English and the Life of Pi in German.
    I thought the film was truly great! I was expecting it to be a "Christmas Classic" but it doesn't seem to have gained any traction with Johnny Public. Just goes to show...

(and, hats off, I still don't understand the Silmarillion in any language...)

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
    ^This

Actually mine kicked off with Lemony Snicket which is a thousand times better than HP, but was somewhat overshadowed by it
    Better film as well.

My kids have always been into reading. Youngest is currently reading the Silmarillion in English and the Life of Pi in German.

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I enjoyed HP1 and HP2. HP3 got tedious, and I gave up half way through 4. The kids loved them though, and it got them reading which has got to be a good thing.
    ^This

Actually mine kicked off with Lemony Snicket which is a thousand times better than HP, but was somewhat overshadowed by it

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Its because it is written for 11 year olds. They find it interesting.

When your mental reaches that of an 11yo you will find it interesting too.

Personally, being a bloke, I prefer to go through life with a primary school mentality. The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys etcetc.
    I find it tedious.

Though toys are fun.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Its because it is written for 11 year olds. They find it interesting.

When your mental reaches that of an 11yo you will find it interesting too.

Personally, being a bloke, I prefer to go through life with a primary school mentality. The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys etcetc.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    So, to sum up, a sort of Jeffrey Archer in drag?

Though I did enjoy the one book of his that I read.
    I enjoyed HP1 and HP2. HP3 got tedious, and I gave up half way through 4. The kids loved them though, and it got them reading which has got to be a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    she earns more than you ?
    Many authors do. It isn't a measure of quality.

Her use of language is predictable and cliche ridden.
    There's no sense of place
    Plot devices are obvious and arbitrary
    Inconsistencies abound
    Characterisation is weak and (again) inconsistent

The films are worse, taking the most obvious plotline and removing the very few redeemable features.

Her books might have been ok if she'd had a decent editor. In ten years time, they'll be rightly consigned to the dustbin of history and forgotten.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    she would not bother going to the effort of picking up what you earn in a year?
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Because JK Rowling is crap author who's books are fully of glaring inconsistencies that she's too stupid to see or possibly too lazy to fix.
    she earns more than you ?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Sorry if this has been done before, but I havent been online so much lately

Why did all those supposedly well educated people in the Harry Potter books refuse to say Voldemorts name?
    Sounds like superstition to me

Because JK Rowling is crap author who's books are fully of glaring inconsistencies that she's too stupid to see or possibly too lazy to fix.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    A similar situation exists at "Chez Dodgy" . Our own "dark Lord" is referred to as "er indoors"

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by RetSet View Post
    Can't say I've ever been to a stoning...

You're a woman aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    you know doogie, I didnt pay much attention to Monty Python when I was younger. but as I get older, I see them quoted and linked to more and more

Is that because they were right, or have we become them ?

Why ?
    To be fair both.

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    the observations made in Monty Python sometimes only click with you when you reflect on experiences, that is part of their genius.
    Can't say I've ever been to a stoning...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    the observations made in Monty Python sometimes only click with you when you reflect on experiences, that is part of their genius.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X