• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: CV Interests

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CV Interests"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Absolutely! Mentioning 15c re-enactment got me into investment banking. The MD was a 15c history fan (even has his own website about it) and ended up making armour for me to use. The head programmer loved WoW and spent the interview asking me which weapons work against which types of armour, as an after thought he asked me what a smart pointer was and then went back to talking about WoW!

Best interview I ever had until the HR one which came next, that culminated with being asked out by the girl interviewing me.
    Reader I married her....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    I may have worked with this person!
    Bless you.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    best one I saw was the one who put his interests as 'I am a Jehovah's witness with my own ministry'.

I may have worked with this person!

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The only shotgun I've ever liked was a folding stock pump.

Not my type of weapon really.

Unless it's got slugs in it.

Shooting slugs at people now that is cruel and unusual, I'm sure the RSPCA would have something to say about it as well...

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    The only shotgun I've ever liked was a folding stock pump.

Not my type of weapon really.

Unless it's got slugs in it.

But is it rifled? 🍻

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Place I worked at as a permy had CVs in for tester and someone mentioned that they played in a champions league final (true) or European Cup as it was known at the time. Unsurprisingly they got the job.

Played 5-a-side against him and for someone in his fifties he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Now that would be a way to get an interview!

One guys who was interviewed once where I used to work had LARPing on his cv and identified which faction he was from (apparently this might be of interest to interviewers?!). The interviewer asked me about it because he knew that I was a LARPer too (although it is not on my cv) and I played the same system as him and our two groups were bitter enemies.

I almost begged to be let into the interview to mention it and to pretend have a go at him. Unfortunately interviews are 'a serious process' or something and they gave a blanket refusal to me being there or providing any questions for them to ask
    It's probably forever tainted by Role Models (not that it needed much help)

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    That would be telling!
    Now that would be a way to get an interview!

One guys who was interviewed once where I used to work had LARPing on his cv and identified which faction he was from (apparently this might be of interest to interviewers?!). The interviewer asked me about it because he knew that I was a LARPer too (although it is not on my cv) and I played the same system as him and our two groups were bitter enemies.

I almost begged to be let into the interview to mention it and to pretend have a go at him. Unfortunately interviews are 'a serious process' or something and they gave a blanket refusal to me being there or providing any questions for them to ask

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    What about you was studied and whose personal interest was it for?
    That would be telling!

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Mine says:

Interests: Cycling, geocaching, reading and writing. Cycled from Lands’ End to John O’ Groats during Summer 2010. Completed the Wine and Spirits Education Trust Higher Certificate whilst working for exPermieCo. In 2013, I achieved a BA(Hons) (First) in Humanities with Art History with the Open University, which I had been studied for personal interest.
    I think it needs sexing up a bit.
    What about you was studied and whose personal interest was it for?

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Ah, a fellow shootist....

Still got my shotties and thinking about a FAC application for a rimmy at the moment but the PC brigade don't seem to like 'shooting things' as a hobby on a CV
    4 shotguns, a .22 lr, a .243 and a .270
    I've shot since I was a nipper.
    But certainly not on my CV!
    Last edited by GlenW; 25 February 2014, 16:36.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Can't remember now, as I haven't looked at my CV for three years, which is the time I've been with my current clientco.
    Really? I update mine every few months!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    So do any of you lot have interests on your CV? ...
    Can't remember now, as I haven't looked at my CV for three years, which is the time I've been with my current clientco.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    WTMS.

Ah, a fellow shootist....

Still got my shotties and thinking about a FAC application for a rimmy at the moment but the PC brigade don't seem to like 'shooting things' as a hobby on a CV

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I put CUK on under addictions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X