• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interviewing my own replacement"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    This week has been a lesson to me on how to get fooked over by the C-Level of a US organization. I was front runner on a new senior job. No other candidates qualified, so only against possible outsiders. I positioned myself over the last month, clandestine meetings, hedged by bets and put resources in places I shouldn't be in. In the meantime I was hiring and had an internal applicant. Said applicant wanted out of one org and into mine.

I let them apply. In the meantime an external applicant for the other position was being mooted. A friend of a C-friend. I then inadvertently shot across the bows of said senior individual by letting internal applicant apply. Political tulip storm kicked off going all the way to the board. In the meantime said poison chalice project misses next phase of project because of dev issues not related to me but I'm the business lead and I moved resources so upto board. Finally recommendation for my move to new position is presented, two black balls straight in, CEO then comments on my refusal to move to US.
    Point 1) You failed to delivery. I note the poor workman (manager) blaming his tools (the devs he is managing).

Point 2) You got into a game of politics and then instantly made an enemy of someone you needed on side. Schoolboy error....

Are you sure you are cut out for senior permie management?

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Ladies and gentlemen, Mr Conway Twitty

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Summary please?
    Nothing happened.
    Some bull tulip to make it sound like something did happen.
    Everything carries on as before.
    Yawn.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Summary please?

Moving to US?
    New team in UK?
    Still got old job?
    Got new job?
    Not got a job?
    Polishing the Crystal Reports skillz?
    Buying Mediterranean yacht?
    Back on NLadyUK's books?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Cock. New opportunity rescinded, blocked by the board, replacement not advertised, deliver rest off poison chalice.
    This week has been a lesson to me on how to get fooked over by the C-Level of a US organization. I was front runner on a new senior job. No other candidates qualified, so only against possible outsiders. I positioned myself over the last month, clandestine meetings, hedged by bets and put resources in places I shouldn't be in. In the meantime I was hiring and had an internal applicant. Said applicant wanted out of one org and into mine.

I let them apply. In the meantime an external applicant for the other position was being mooted. A friend of a C-friend. I then inadvertently shot across the bows of said senior individual by letting internal applicant apply. Political tulip storm kicked off going all the way to the board. In the meantime said poison chalice project misses next phase of project because of dev issues not related to me but I'm the business lead and I moved resources so upto board. Finally recommendation for my move to new position is presented, two black balls straight in, CEO then comments on my refusal to move to US. My sponsor rescinds offer as other candidate is less risky.

If not for my contracting background I'd take this personally. Lick wounds. Duck down. Another day will come.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Cock. New opportunity rescinded, blocked by the board, replacement not advertised, deliver rest off poison chalice.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    I've often wondered if I could hire out as an expert interviewer. Most interviews I go to, they haven't got a clue how to conduct a technical interview.
    there is actually some good interviewing training out there, try a search for 'Lominger'. I have interviewed and been interviewed both with & without. The Lominger process does make a difference.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Jeez Menelaus was more credible. Get a job FFS.
    Today's the day.

Have I made a tactical error or genius move? Time will tell in 8 hours time!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Jeez Menelaus was more credible. Get a job FFS.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    How would you interview for an interviewer?
    You hire an expert to do it for you.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I've often wondered if I could hire out as an expert interviewer. Most interviews I go to, they haven't got a clue how to conduct a technical interview.
    How would you interview for an interviewer?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Well, then MF isn't your man for sure. Keep looking...

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Then hire the tuliptiest candidate that turns up.
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Is that because she is better than you in every way that co*nts?
    Sorry, I think Alexei unintentionally pointed out the weakness in my suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Now that's a weird feeling.
    Is that because she is better than you in every way that co*nts?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X