• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SAS Survival Handbook"

Collapse

• barrydidit
    replied

Suity nuts. I'm sure if one were armed with these the post apocalyptic world would hold no fears...

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Fishing line. Split shot. Strike anywhere matches (heads sealed in candle wax). Head torch. GPS. Fly stiches. Potassium permanganate. Plasters. Map.

All in a 2g backy tin. With the inside of the lid polished to a mirror finish. For signalling like.

Suity Grylls.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    What are the essential items in a 'go' bag?

Gas mask?
    Hunting knife?
    Box of matches?
    18 pack of beef and onion monster munch?
    Toilet roll.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Suity should be fine. He can just regale them with his last few contract experiences then tuck in once they enter the coma.
    More seriously, people ought to stock up on tampons and condoms before bugging out.
    The condoms are very lightweight yet can be used to carry and store fresh water. The tampons are impregnated with mild alcohol which makes them ideal firestarters, and again, very lightweight to carry around.
    I could go on, but I might have to kill someone if I divulge too much.
    Can we choose who?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    If it gets to the point where we really need to worry about fallout at anything more than increased risk of cancer level we're pretty ****ed i'd say. I'd be more worried about the effects on global food supply of a 'nuclear winter' that would result from even a fairly small scale nuclear exchange. That will mostly affect the poor though so we should be alright.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    This....

....and a whole load of these....

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you could anaesthetise it first you'd be OK.
    Suity should be fine. He can just regale them with his last few contract experiences then tuck in once they enter the coma.
    More seriously, people ought to stock up on tampons and condoms before bugging out.
    The condoms are very lightweight yet can be used to carry and store fresh water. The tampons are impregnated with mild alcohol which makes them ideal firestarters, and again, very lightweight to carry around.
    I could go on, but I might have to kill someone if I divulge too much.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I think if it goes up, I will not cope at all well.
    But is that better or worse than normal?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Survival kit;

- 1 cellar full of good wine
    - 1 fit bird

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    But there's a huge potential extra factor that doesn't take account of - fallout.

In most of the UK after a nuclear exchange, to avoid an inevitable and horrible death you and dependents and pets couldn't spend any time outdoors and you certainly couldn't ingest any food or water collected outdoors, or animals that had, for at least two or three weeks.

Maybe the fallout would be lower in some western parts, with a south westerly wind from the Atlantic. But even there you'd have fallout from the US, not to mention one or two possible nukes over the naval base in Plymouth, the GCHQ site in Cornwall, and a few other sites dotted around. (There's probably a map online somewhere, showing all possible or probable targets.)
    If an area is fallout hit to the extent that it's unsurvivable for a few weeks then in all likelihood it's going to be unliveable for decades. In that case, you're either tuliped or you're not. Not something you can really plan for.

In reality, there are very few end-of-civilisation threats that a typical person is likely to survive for long. The only ones are the pandemic super-virus types that you either avoid because you're a hermit or you're one of the very rare people who is immune. You'd probably die anyway of the resulting diseases coming from all the dead people, for example someone falling dead upstream of a river and polluting it with other nasties.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Aye. You need to get some potassium iodide in your survival kit.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by craig1 View Post
    During my army career, we did an escape and evasion course as part of a leadership course, much like the one RAF pilots have to take. ...
    But there's a huge potential extra factor that doesn't take account of - fallout.

In most of the UK after a nuclear exchange, to avoid an inevitable and horrible death you and dependents and pets couldn't spend any time outdoors and you certainly couldn't ingest any food or water collected outdoors, or animals that had, for at least two or three weeks.

Maybe the fallout would be lower in some western parts, with a south westerly wind from the Atlantic. But even there you'd have fallout from the US, not to mention one or two possible nukes over the naval base in Plymouth, the GCHQ site in Cornwall, and a few other sites dotted around. (There's probably a map online somewhere, showing all possible or probable targets.)

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    What is it with you valley boys and weaponry?
    Have you ever been to the valleys?!??!

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    What is it with you valley boys and weaponry?
    Hahaha you've got to be able to look after yourself in these parts

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I can knit

Leave a comment:

Working...
X