• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: UnBOOMED

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UnBOOMED"

Collapse

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    sorry to hear this - don't let it get you down!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    No it's not. It's business. Stuff changes so a business has to change. Integrity and honesty is about them lying to you and being purposely devious which I am sure clients are not. Their requirements have changed so they don't need you. You can't expect them to take you on when they no longer need you due to other changes. You believe you have integrity and honesty but you are prepared to drop the client when a better rate comes along i.e. there has been a change to your business. Does you changing tact because the business landscape has changed mean you do not have any integrity and honesty?

You need to learn the difference.
    NLUK you've got it all wrong -thats not what I meant. Your are quite correct that things change from both sides. That is not my issue. It happens.

However, I don't think its unfair to expect to be told if things change. All it takes is one phone call - sorry we tried to sort it but its all fallen through. Not oh well we'll ignore him now.

Always mention example of agencies who you can't get hold of after an interview. It soon becomes obvious you've not got it but, some agencies, you call them and they're 'on the other line' or something.

I'm sorry but if I attend an interview, I, at least, expect the agency to waste 30 secs of his time to, at some point, give me a yay or nay.

Happened to me once or twice. So what'll I do next time when I see an identical role advertised by two agencies. I'll avoid the one that was crap the time before.

Potentially, if I get the gig with other agency the original agency have now lost the business because of the bad vibes they created last time. All because of a 30 sec call they chose not to make. This is not good business sense.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    FFS. How many times? Current client know the score. I told them when I started the gig that was the deal and they are happy with it. Thats integrity and honesty.
    No it's not. It's business. Stuff changes so a business has to change. Integrity and honesty is about them lying to you and being purposely devious which I am sure clients are not. Their requirements have changed so they don't need you. You can't expect them to take you on when they no longer need you due to other changes. You believe you have integrity and honesty but you are prepared to drop the client when a better rate comes along i.e. there has been a change to your business. Does you changing tact because the business landscape has changed mean you do not have any integrity and honesty?

You need to learn the difference.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Yes, that's absolutely fine - the point is agreeing to terms and sticking to them, or renegotiating if circumstances change, as opposed to evilagent's suggestion that contractors will just leave a client in the lurch.
    Actually my current client has a few guys that are prepping up to just wander off at the end of the month. Ones waiting to see he has the new role confirmed and the other one has a plan B to ramp up. I think that the agencies that have been dishing it out over the last few years have created a militant band of guys that are now ready to start behaving like plumbers. I don't agree with it myself but hey if they leave I get a renewal and I am not in through an agency so lifes great

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Hmmm. Debatable..

A lot of clients give no 2nd thoughts on invoking notice if it suits them remember.

I'm all for being honest with people including clients. Like I said, before I started I had this discussion with client. They know its way below my normal rate, they know its not ideal for me but were happy to take me on the basis that I might at some point give them a weeks notice. Seems fair to me.
    Yes, that's absolutely fine - the point is agreeing to terms and sticking to them, or renegotiating if circumstances change, as opposed to evilagent's suggestion that contractors will just leave a client in the lurch.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Hard luck, but remember it happens all the time in business. Remember, you are an individual working for your business; in any business there are people who say they're interested in a product or service but then don't come and buy it. My mate's a car dealer and if he had a penny for everyone who says 'this is the car for me, I'll come back at the weekend and we'll agree on the options' and then never turns up he wouldn't need to work anymore. Your business is no different, and it's just like when you don't hear any response from sending in your CV; most businesses advertise but don't hear from people after an advert.

I don't want to seem harsh but you need to accept that it's part of being in business and it's not (usually not) personal, so don't take it personally.

Best of luck in finding a new gig.
    True. Slightly different with buying a car though surely? You get possibly 100s of people looking at the car, none of which you even know personally.

In this instance, I'd worked with the guy before, knew him quite well, been out for beers with him etc. Not so cool.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Never done that, never would. Only time it came up, the second client was happy to wait the six weeks left on the first gig until I became available

The amount of earbashing and general hassle I got from the agent until the new client said that, though! I can see how some people might have cracked and screwed the first client over, but it would have been the agent's fault for putting so much pressure on them
    Hmmm. Debatable..

A lot of clients give no 2nd thoughts on invoking notice if it suits them remember.

I'm all for being honest with people including clients. Like I said, before I started I had this discussion with client. They know its way below my normal rate, they know its not ideal for me but were happy to take me on the basis that I might at some point give them a weeks notice. Seems fair to me.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Integrity and Professionalism is whats missing these days.

Honesty, no fannying around, and no bulltulip. That's all I want.
    Can't expect what you are not prepared to give can you?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by evilagent View Post
    Is this the same professionalism and integrity where you would dump current clientco if a much better paying gig came up?

Strewth! the hypocrisy of it all.
    Grow up.
    Never done that, never would. Only time it came up, the second client was happy to wait the six weeks left on the first gig until I became available

The amount of earbashing and general hassle I got from the agent until the new client said that, though! I can see how some people might have cracked and screwed the first client over, but it would have been the agent's fault for putting so much pressure on them

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Possibly a lucky escape. Business is business but don't phone me up, ask if I'm available, tell me its 99% certain, ring me again a week later, then suddenly just ignore me. All it takes is 30 secs to say sorry its fallen through.....
    Hard luck, but remember it happens all the time in business. Remember, you are an individual working for your business; in any business there are people who say they're interested in a product or service but then don't come and buy it. My mate's a car dealer and if he had a penny for everyone who says 'this is the car for me, I'll come back at the weekend and we'll agree on the options' and then never turns up he wouldn't need to work anymore. Your business is no different, and it's just like when you don't hear any response from sending in your CV; most businesses advertise but don't hear from people after an advert.

I don't want to seem harsh but you need to accept that it's part of being in business and it's not (usually not) personal, so don't take it personally.

Best of luck in finding a new gig.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by evilagent View Post
    Is this the same professionalism and integrity where you would dump current clientco if a much better paying gig came up?

Grow up.
    FFS. How many times? Current client know the score. I told them when I started the gig that was the deal and they are happy with it. Thats integrity and honesty.

Leave a comment:

• evilagent
    replied

Grow up.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied

Manners have been lost almost entirely in our society. The skill of being special by treating your peers as special is beyond most peoples intellect.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    That's poor form old boy.

You'll get sorted.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X