• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is a key railway line?"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I blame that Ismbard Kingdom Brunel chappie, what did he know?
    Yup, all IKB's fault. What was he thinking building the Great Western Railway after all. At least that stretch has an up and down line. The bit that actually goes into Cornwall over the Brunel Bridge only has one line. They run the trains over it in alternating directions. Endless fun when the timetable gets screwed and they end up queuing down the line in either direction waiting to get across.

At least it's not holiday season, the tourist trains in the summer are generally rammed and they run special services into Newquay just for the holiday makers.

God knows why. Newquay is a hole, but there you go.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Get the Japs in, they'd have it sorted within a week.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigD
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    No-one relies on the train. When I go to Wales the train ticket is same cost as petrol for me. So when I take the twins up I save a shed load by using the car. Trains are way too expensive....

Many people choose between a car or a rail season ticket. If you're working in London then a car is more hassle than it's worth as you have to then put up with congestion charge, parking etc, so the train wins.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    No-one relies on the train.
    Of course they do you numpty. For a start, that's how the post used to get to Cornwall (not sure if still the case). Plus tourism, university students and commuters. The trains are always busy...

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    If it's so key wtf it was build right next to the water front?
    You could say the same about London or the Netherlands.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I'd guess it's an old Victorian line route, there are more than a few right by the sea or on the edges of steep cliffs that have been there for a long, long time.
    Re-routing a line must be a real sod to get through planning, public enquiries and cost a truckload of cash.
    Sounds like there is a clear need for HS3 - 10 meters away from existing line, just knock the houses down along the way

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I'd guess it's an old Victorian line route, there are more than a few right by the sea or on the edges of steep cliffs that have been there for a long, long time.
    Re-routing a line must be a real sod to get through planning, public enquiries and cost a truckload of cash.
    Which means contracts

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    No-one relies on the train. When I go to Wales the train ticket is same cost as petrol for me. So when I take the twins up I save a shed load by using the car. Trains are way too expensive....
    Not true.

Lots of city folk don't have cars, and more and more young people aren't getting driving licenses until late.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied

Did the owners of the house near it object a lot because the view was ruined?

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    UK storms destroy key railway line
    BBC News - UK storms destroy railway line and leave thousands without power

Its Dawlish! I assumed it was Guildford->Waterloo or SWindon->Paddington at first.....
    At least nothing derailed and no one was hurt....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AtW again.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's key because a)it is of great historical significance b)it is the mainline to the south west. EVERY train goes on that line, unlike other lines which can easily be diverted. Only the south-west, but losing your only decent train route for several months isn't good.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Shame. Beautiful to travel.
    Fair enough. But that hardly makes it key....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Shame. Beautiful to travel.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    That railway line is now extra "scenic".

Bet that won't be a trivial fix.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X