• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: No tulip, Sherlock

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "No tulip, Sherlock"

Collapse

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You should expect a hefty increase in council tax because Govt cuts amount of money given to councils.
    Revealed: The one in nine schools where English is not first language - Telegraph

Who so you think is paying for all the extra classroom assistants and translators? I'll give you a clue it isn't the EU. It us bloody mugs.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Properly obtained statistics are not the same thing as sweeping generalisations.

Does it not occur to you that, as professional persons, our experience is highly selective? We work in offices, stay at reasonable hotels etc and, unsurprisingly, largely see decent working migrants.

So how much time do we spend in run down areas, rough sleeping areas, doss houses, illegal squats etc to see the other side of it? In some part of the UK, 50%+ of people who present at homeless charities are foreign.

Its 80% in Boston
    BBC News - Boston has thousands of unrecorded migrants, council claims
    I think there may be crossed wires here but none of the articles you linked mention it's related to immigrants having little or no grasp of English

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Shame there's no opt out, I'd happily take my own rubbish to the tip
    I think there is a balance but I suspect the reality is that many who get subsidies don't need them or shouldn't get them. The sight of all the council houses on the street having new BMWs outside them was a common one a few years ago. Now the council houses have been sold off its normally a battered mondeo out front or a company car.

We need to make those on benefits worse off than those working, then we have money we can spend on those that need it.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Properly obtained statistics are not the same thing as sweeping generalisations.

Does it not occur to you that, as professional persons, our experience is highly selective? We work in offices, stay at reasonable hotels etc and, unsurprisingly, largely see decent working migrants.

So how much time do we spend in run down areas, rough sleeping areas, doss houses, illegal squats etc to see the other side of it? In some part of the UK, 50%+ of people who present at homeless charities are foreign.

Its 80% in Boston
    BBC News - Boston has thousands of unrecorded migrants, council claims

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    No reason to doubt it but facts and statistics, not anecdotes and citing of individual cases, are the only sound basis for law.
    Fair enough, I just don't like sweeping generalisations

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I have encounter migrant workers here who have a poor grasp of English but who are working so it doesn't always ring true I'm afraid. A few of the cleaning staff here infact speak little or next to no English yet they're fantastic at what they do
    No reason to doubt it but facts and statistics, not anecdotes and citing of individual cases, are the only sound basis for law.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    now yes, because the government has removed the central grant.

if you look at a lot of these areas they have rubbish council tax collection rates.
    Shame there's no opt out, I'd happily take my own rubbish to the tip

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    Does that include contractors whose ltd is domiciled in the colonies?
    Sorry buddy I guess I'm missing the point on this one

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    My guess is you're subsidising those who don't pay.
    now yes, because the government has removed the central grant.

if you look at a lot of these areas they have rubbish council tax collection rates.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    those who don't pay.
    Does that include contractors whose ltd is domiciled in the colonies?

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I pay over £2k a year in council tax and honestly the service aint that great.
    My guess is you're subsidising those who don't pay.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Councils should raise most of their own money directly from people in the borough. they would then be held responsible by the local electorate.
    I pay over £2k a year in council tax and honestly the service aint that great.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You should expect a hefty increase in council tax because Govt cuts amount of money given to councils.
    Councils should raise most of their own money directly from people in the borough. they would then be held responsible by the local electorate.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    Ask all the wealthy expats in Eindhoven if they speak any Dutch. (Probably their English is poor, too)

Apply the same terms of comparison to the UK.

Think. (Not applicable to UKIP fans)
    So what you're saying is that you should take like for like:
    Wealthy people living in a country where their own tongue is extremely widely understood and used by the native population and does not impact on their ability to work, and
    Mixed income people (although this report actually focuses on those of very low wealth) living in a country where their own tongue is not understood or used by any more than a tiny proportion of the native population and means that a large proportion are economically inactive.

Well done.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Ask all the wealthy expats in Eindhoven if they speak any Dutch. (Probably their English is poor, too)

Apply the same terms of comparison to the UK.

Think. (Not applicable to UKIP fans)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X