• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tonight the gagging law is passed"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    I presume you mean (as one commentator puts it) the "The Protection of Corporate Lobbying and Silencing of Legitimate Debate bill" which I posted about a few weeks back. This was originally known as the 'lobbying bill' and was meant to limit the activities of corporate lobbying and in fact part 1 of the bill does address that, honestly, no really, actually the bill protects in-house corporate lobbying operations from any kind of official scrutiny, meaning that a cloak of secrecy will still shroud their influence upon politicians but its the second part of the bill which is the real bastard. This is clearly designed to silence critics of the government such as charities, voluntary organisations, protest groups, trade unions and religions. One example of where this bill would now come into play is when IDS made his tirade against the Trussell Trust over foodbanks, the charity now would not be able to make those claims. I suggest that people also look at another bill which the coalition passed last year, the Justice and Security (Secret Courts) Bill. Basically this means that the defendant, which could be you, can be found guilty in a courtroom that they are not allowed to enter, on charges that they are not allowed to know, based upon evidence that they are not allowed to see.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    This isn't true.

I think you've missed the point of the Scooterbot

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Maybe an example would help.

It is the wish of the government to get fracking underway in the north.

Protest about this policy and you're now breaking the law as of today.

This isn't true.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Not really, even if I understood what you're trying to say.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yes, I was trying to. 38 degrees does not could as objective reporting, they're all singing from the same hymnsheet as you.
    Interesting the relationship between the defensive submissive and the authority who dominates and lusts for even greater control.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Do you think we can have the smart uniforms this time?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    None of the dailies here are reporting this (at least I couldn't see it on the Telegraph, Mail or Guardian) so it can't be that much of a deal.

Uless they've all been gagged from reporting on it
    Indeed, he'll no doubt take the fact it's not being reported as the papers toadying up to the government.

Leave a comment:

• Forgotmylogin
    replied
    Yes, lobbying groups, including trade unions and charities, are being restricted on how much they can spend.

From May 2014, the draconian new rules would prevent non-politicians from speaking up on the big issues of the day.
    No it doesn't. They can still say what they like. It does stop, for example, trade unions taking out full-page newspaper ads and billboards to support any particular party with the only limit being their bank balance.
    Normally this type of law would be seen as a good thing - look at the US and complaints over the power of lobby groups there.

Originally posted by scooterscot
    Perhaps take an interest in politics.
    Perhaps you should.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    None of the dailies here are reporting this (at least I couldn't see it on the Telegraph, Mail or Guardian) so it can't be that much of a deal.

Uless they've all been gagged from reporting on it

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    How do you get that from the links you've posted?

Charities and voluntary groups raise concerns for civil society as controversial bill limits groups' spending ahead of an election

Neither article actually explains what the implications are other than limited spending.
    I assume this is why he was loath to post a proper link, in case people read it and realised he was talking utter tosh.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yes, I was trying to. 38 degrees does not could as objective reporting, they're all singing from the same hymnsheet as you.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied

How do you get that from the links you've posted?

Charities and voluntary groups raise concerns for civil society as controversial bill limits groups' spending ahead of an election

Neither article actually explains what the implications are other than limited spending.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    No link, no background on what this law is you're blithering on about. Can anyone be bothered to give a proper explanation?

https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/pages/the_gagging_law

Lobbying bill passes through House of Lords

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The government’s has succeeded in passing a new law tonight that will have a chilling effect on British democracy me dears. From May 2014, the draconian new rules would prevent non-politicians from speaking up on the big issues of the day.

What a nanny state. It is something of an outrage that a modern democracy can pass this in to law whist on the other it profiles individuals with their online data and eavesdropping on their communications.

So the next time our glorious leader makes a public statement, just nod like good little puppies.

From 38 degrees:
    No link, no background on what this law is you're blithering on about. Can anyone be bothered to give a proper explanation?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X