• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should *cough* be an independent country?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    So yea cannae vote. Unlucky. All those muslims who hate the UK will vote for independence. Glasgow will be the head of the new Sharia government.
    actually that is an interesting idea, could Scotland be invaded by militant groups to form a breakaway country?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Identify is an issue for you, which is not the purpose of this referendum. It should not come as surprise when immigration is out of control in the south. As far as I know that pattern has not come north.

There are many immigrants in Glasgow but for the most part they integrate and are some of the friendliest people I know, having lived in Pollokshields for a fair while. For those that don't they know "we'll set about ye" whereas in shandy drinking country they run a mile when they see a over grown beard. What happen to your testosterone levels? Hard to believe this country once ruled the world and now... Weakness is not sexy, hence there's a referendum.
    I can tell you now that is bollocks, after the Kriss McDonald murder many people see parts of Pollokshields as a no go area for whites, Govanhill is called ground zero and is a fookin' disaster zone.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    [QUOTE=scooterscot;1877593]
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post

Think you might be dead wrong there. Lots of people outside Scotland are watching. With baited breath.
    That would be people who consider themselves Scottish but fail the residency criteria, so don't get to vote.

(Non-resident Scots who wish to go to Scottish universities don't get free tuition fees - although other EU citizens do).

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    So yea cannae vote. Unlucky. All those muslims who hate the UK will vote for independence. Glasgow will be the head of the new Sharia government.
    Identify is an issue for you, which is not the purpose of this referendum. It should not come as surprise when immigration is out of control in the south. As far as I know that pattern has not come north.

There are many immigrants in Glasgow but for the most part they integrate and are some of the friendliest people I know, having lived in Pollokshields for a fair while. For those that don't they know "we'll set about ye" whereas in shandy drinking country they run a mile when they see a over grown beard. What happen to your testosterone levels? Hard to believe this country once ruled the world and now... Weakness is not sexy, hence there's a referendum.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    I presume that each time they got a smack in the mouth rather than an answer, they put that down as "refused"?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I imagine it's a bit like giving up permieland to go contracting.

There's a whole new exciting world where you're your own boss and not beholden to anyone else telling you what you should do and how you should do it. With that comes the prospect of fecking it up, ending up skint, and a whole load of risks you haven't even thought about.

So what would you do?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Salmond may not be a rocket scientist, but he sure looks like one when you sit him next to the Scottish labour or Tory leaders.
    Well, he promised to get referendum and he pretty much made it happen - that's more than can be said about some other politicians who were promising referendums.

Perhaps UK should be a bit more like Switzerland - regular referendums on topics scumbag politicians too afraid to decide on their own. Oh, and automatic weapons for everybody who qualifies!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    [QUOTE=Flashman;1877589]
    As you're not living in this country you're probably a bit out of touch. The news is....outside Scotland no one really cares.
    Think you might be dead wrong there. Lots of people outside Scotland are watching. With baited breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I have two Scots-born kids and three others who've lived at least 50% of their lives there. Only three of votable age tho...

Not gonna happen - Salmond is a bit thick...

F**k me. Salmond is a bit thick ??

Really ?? Even when you compare him to Johann Lamont or Ruth Davidson ??

Salmond may not be a rocket scientist, but he sure looks like one when you sit him next to the Scottish labour or Tory leaders.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    [QUOTE=Flashman;1877589]
    Well that's interesting, wonder what changed the minds for the recent surge in support of a yes. Words of wisdom from king alex's white paper or is UKIP really doing it's best to destroy the UK?

As you're not living in this country you're probably a bit out of touch. The news is....outside Scotland no one really cares.

Well I guess Sean Connery is still holding onto Marbella for the SNP.
    Seems there a lot of part-time Scotsmen around here......

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    [QUOTE=scooterscot;1877571]Well that's interesting, wonder what changed the minds for the recent surge in support of a yes. Words of wisdom from king alex's white paper or is UKIP really doing it's best to destroy the UK?

Well I guess Sean Connery is still holding onto Marbella for the SNP.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    1) It's not an identity competition. I know some folks elsewhere are hooked on race and skin colour. Thankfully the future of the country is not dependant on such voters (I hope).

2) What does that even mean? I've been living outside Scotland for years. You'd have to spend a long time convincing many of my fraternity I'm no from that part of the world.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    So how come you vote if you live in Scotland, but if you're Scottish and you've moved outside you cannot vote? When you leave Scotland does that mean you give up being Scottish?
    I have two Scots-born kids and three others who've lived at least 50% of their lives there. Only three of votable age tho...

Not gonna happen - Salmond is a bit thick...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Belated burns nights poetry

To A Grouse:

—————————————————–

Wee, sleekit, glowerin', troublous Darling,
    O what a panic's set thee snarling!
    Thy bare-faced claims we can't use sterling
    Dinna convince.
    The imprecations thou keep'st hurling
    Are full o' mince.

I ken wherefore thou art sae crabbit,
    Thy fizzog like a startled rabbit,
    Thy point of view sae parched and scabbit,
    Thine aspect grim.
    Faith! Thou maun earn a handsome habit
    Wi' ermine trim.

I doubt na but thy denigration
    O' Scotia's self-determination
    Is based on wild imagination,
    Or pauchlin' lies!
    Such mischief bears its indication
    In blinkin' eyes.

Thy Project Fear has fallen tae ruin!
    The Cybernats gave it a doin',
    Noo all deride its idle spewin'
    O' stories strange,
    And bold September's wind's ensuin':
    The wind o' change!

Thou saw Carmichael, bare and wast,
    And moothy Sarwar, speakin' fast,
    And Michael Moore, in ancient past,
    For mercy plead,
    By Nicola's scything wit outclassed
    And left for deid.

O Grand Panjandrum o' Finance,
    Wha reads White Papers at a glance,
    Whose style o' banking governance
    Was fair found wantin',
    It's nae surprise we look askance
    At a' thy rantin'!

Gowk, thou maun learn the lesson plain:
    Thy negativity is vain,
    Awa' back hame and think again,
    Thy scheme's agley.
    An' nought remains but grief and pain
    On voting day!

How drab thy lot, compared wi' me!
    Westminster only toucheth thee,
    And, as I backward cast my e'e,
    It turns tae dust,
    While forward, though I canna see,
    I hope and trust!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    So how come you vote if you live in Scotland, but if you're Scottish and you've moved outside you cannot vote? When you leave Scotland does that mean you give up being Scottish?
    1) It's not an identity competition. I know some folks elsewhere are hooked on race and skin colour. Thankfully the future of the country is not dependant on such voters (I hope).

2) What does that even mean? I've been living outside Scotland for years. You'd have to spend a long time convincing many of my fraternity I'm no from that part of the world.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X